Georgia Senate blocks mega tax cuts for Delta in response to Delta punishing law abiding NRA

Wow, it's like politicians are human beings who can change their minds according to the situation, or some shit like that.

Oh please, this is not about them changing their minds. All the reasons for the tax exemption still exist. What changed is that Delta no longer offers a discount for NRA members. This is using the tax system to punish a business for not toeing the line.

Yes, what changed was that Delta did something that made tax breaks less appealing to the Senate's constituents. Which would be exactly the sort of change they're SUPPOSED to pay attention to.

What did the other airlines do to make the tax breaks less appealing for them as well?

Depends on the airline, one assumes. You know it's possible to make decisions on a case-by-case basis, rather than just trying to make simplistic blanket decisions across the board, right?

but that is not what the Ga senate is doing, so go tell them

No, that is not how you want to see what the Georgia Senate is doing. And I'm not going to tell them squat. Not my state, not my Senators, not my business.

Oh please, this is not about them changing their minds. All the reasons for the tax exemption still exist. What changed is that Delta no longer offers a discount for NRA members. This is using the tax system to punish a business for not toeing the line.

Yes, what changed was that Delta did something that made tax breaks less appealing to the Senate's constituents. Which would be exactly the sort of change they're SUPPOSED to pay attention to.

What did the other airlines do to make the tax breaks less appealing for them as well?

Depends on the airline, one assumes. You know it's possible to make decisions on a case-by-case basis, rather than just trying to make simplistic blanket decisions across the board, right?

No, that is not how you want to see what the Georgia Senate is doing. And I'm not going to tell them squat. Not my state, not my Senators, not my business.

No, that is what they are doing. They are holding up a bill that gives tax breaks on jet fuel to EVERY airline. If you would take 5 seconds to educate yourself, you would not look do dumb on here when you post.

Just heard about this. Will find a link. Kudos to the Senators for hitting back at the NRA. Why should gun owners in Georgia who pay taxes have to support Delta financially?

If Delta doesn't want or need the business of 5 million NRA members why do they even need a tax break?

Delta’s tax break may not take flight after Georgia Senate blocks it

Delta is a private corporation. It can choose to whom to offer discounts.

The government is not supposed to single out & punish a company because they are not giving a discount for members of a terrorist group.

No, that is what they are doing. They are holding up a bill that gives tax breaks on jet fuel to EVERY airline. If you would take 5 seconds to educate yourself, you would not look do dumb on here when you post.

If YOU had taken 5 seconds to educate yourself, instead of spending it reading left-wing opinions on the subject, you would know that the tax breaks were not very popular in many segments of the population to begin with, which is why they were allowed to expire, and the actual discussion is whether or not to reinstate them. There has been both support and opposition to the reinstatement in the Georgia state government, which is now swinging more toward opposition, and includes calls to do away with the idea no matter what Delta does in re: NRA discounts. This whole question is also coming up at a time when they are apparently preparing to have a gubernatorial election later this year, which always tends to make any questions or issues that arise more intense.

There's your 5 seconds of education (assuming you can read without moving your lips). You're welcome.

Yep - heard about this. More NRA whores puff out their chests and make idle threats.

But Delta holds the ace - they can simply threaten to move their hub from Atlanta to Dallas or Denver.

Watch the slimy little worms consider the thousands of jobs that'd go buh-bye, go silent and crawl back under their rocks :)
Have ewe ever been through Atlanta Hartsfield? Ain’t never gonna happen dummie.

Don't bet on it "dummie" :)

Just heard about this. Will find a link. Kudos to the Senators for hitting back at the NRA. Why should gun owners in Georgia who pay taxes have to support Delta financially?

If Delta doesn't want or need the business of 5 million NRA members why do they even need a tax break?

Delta is a private corporation. It can choose to whom to offer discounts.

The government is not supposed to single out & punish a company because they are not giving a discount for members of a terrorist group.

Actually, state governments have quite a bit of leeway in deciding who gets what tax break, and in exchange for what. It's sorta what they're there for.

If YOU had taken 5 seconds to educate yourself, instead of spending it reading left-wing opinions on the subject, you would know that the tax breaks were not very popular in many segments of the population to begin with, which is why they were allowed to expire, and the actual discussion is whether or not to reinstate them. There has been both support and opposition to the reinstatement in the Georgia state government, which is now swinging more toward opposition, and includes calls to do away with the idea no matter what Delta does in re: NRA discounts. This whole question is also coming up at a time when they are apparently preparing to have a gubernatorial election later this year, which always tends to make any questions or issues that arise more intense.

There's your 5 seconds of education (assuming you can read without moving your lips). You're welcome.

Why yes, I did know that. And I know that they made it through the House in Ga in less than 2 days, there was not much opposition.

I would personally love to see these sorts of tax breaks go away totally, but to use them as a tool to force one private company to give discounts to another private company is way worse than the fact that the tax breaks even exist.

Can I ask you why you think it is a good idea for the state to use tax policies to force one private company to give discounts to another private company? Would you be ok with this on a national level?

Good on em. The NRA is one of the very few organizations left defending our Constitution. If it falls, our Constitution won't be far behind.

Well that said all Ga. is doing is stopping discounts to Delta. See how that works?

If it were that simple, I wouldn't bat an eye.

But the same people who are threatening to remove the tax break are the ones who pushed for it. And they are not just removing the tax break. They are using the tax system to punish Delta for removing discounts. That is the worst sort of gov't interference in private affairs. This is what conservative vehemently opposed in the past.

Wow, it's like politicians are human beings who can change their minds according to the situation, or some shit like that.

i doubt there were 12 people outside of the senate that knew about this.

Yep - heard about this. More NRA whores puff out their chests and make idle threats.

But Delta holds the ace - they can simply threaten to move their hub from Atlanta to Dallas or Denver.

Watch the slimy little worms consider the thousands of jobs that'd go buh-bye, go silent and crawl back under their rocks :)

you do know they can move their hq and still fly out of atlanta, right?

is it the job of the Georgia Senate to shill for the NRA?
Are you serious? Of course it is their job to shill for the NRA. The majority of the Georgia Senate is bought and paid for by the NRA.

And if any other companies decide to go rogue and change any of their company policies, they better run it by a certain wing of the government first, or they will feel an iron hammer come down on them hard.

The NRA is made up of law-abiding people.

If a Cake Baker can be forced to bake a cake for something that offends his beliefs, it's perfectly copacetic to forbid Big Corporations from discriminating against people that offend their beliefs.

What discrimination? Has Delta refused to serve ANY NRA member? No. It is tantrums about cancelling DISCOUNTS on tickets.

The NRA has an affiliate program similar to the ones that many organization have (AAA, AARP, Alumni Associations). Cancelling theirs for political reasons is discriminatory.

Illegal? Or just what pisses some people off?

Who can tell these days? We used to have freedom of association, but the whingers have created a bunch of fake rights, so if we're going to live that way, then the fake rights belong to everyone.

is it the job of the Georgia Senate to shill for the NRA?

psssssst.... that's probably a violation of the first amendment. but good luck with that. :cuckoo:

and if you'll note, your ARTICLE said "might".... it did not say it's a done deal.

NRA shills are funny

Poor Bitter Pillian can't stand it when people she doesn't like use the tactics she supports against her side.

You support Government intimidation on private business deals. How very authoritarian of you.

In light of the FBI investigation of the NRA for money laundering and other questionable practices, their recent ads, any respectable business would cut ties with them.

This won’t go well for the governor or the legislature.

No, I don't. I didn't make the New Rules, but if you Progs are going to force them on the rest of us, you should be held to them as well.

And the NRA is being acted for political reasons. If you are concerned about money laundering, your energy would be better spent on the Clinton Foundation and hiLIARy's campaign.

you do know they can move their hq and still fly out of atlanta, right?

Ya but these sort of things are totally unprecedented! :wink:

With Delta relocation at LAX, airline's CEO hopes to win over more Los Angeles fliers
Boeing, Jolting Seattle, Will Move Headquarters
https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle...picks-texas-global-services-headquarters.html
United Airlines Headquarters To Move to Downtown Chicago
United Airlines: Goodbye JFK, Now Our Newark Hub Is Even Stronger
Pinnacle Airlines to move HQ, hundreds of employees to MSP

delta, like every other corp that has stopped doing business with the nra, is doing it for one reason

the bottom line

you have to be a complete fuckwit to believe otherwise

How would you feel about this, if a Democratic state representative in New York had held tax breaks for Chik-fil-a hostage unless they gave discounts to members of Planned Parenthood?

First, the scenario is implausible, given that they would have had to be giving discounts to members of Planned Parenthood to begin with.

Second, I wouldn't feel anything. Because Chick-fil-A would manage without them just fine. Considering they were making $8 billion in revenue as of 2016.

First of all, it's a hypothetical. Whether it is "plausible" or not is irrelevant. I am simply asking how you would feel if the political sides were flipped.

Second, I want to be clear on what your position is.

Are you saying that you would have no problem with a state government holding tax breaks for a "conservative" company hostage unless they gave discounts to a political organization that they disagreed with?

The NRA is made up of law-abiding people.

If a Cake Baker can be forced to bake a cake for something that offends his beliefs, it's perfectly copacetic to forbid Big Corporations from discriminating against people that offend their beliefs.

What discrimination? Has Delta refused to serve ANY NRA member? No. It is tantrums about cancelling DISCOUNTS on tickets.

The NRA has an affiliate program similar to the ones that many organization have (AAA, AARP, Alumni Associations). Cancelling theirs for political reasons is discriminatory.

If it is discriminatory, then sue or prosecute. The State gov't does not wield tax laws as punishment. That is pure bullshit.
Those that giveth a tax break may take the it away!

And I have no problem with cutting tax breaks.

But this is blatant interference from the gov't. This is punishing Delta for taking away the NRA's discounts. That is NOT the job of the gov't. And that is certainly not part of the conservative's ideal for gov't.

Unless you ARE a conservative, which I strongly doubt, it's not your place to tell me what is and isn't part of "the conservative's ideal for government". Talk about your blatant interference.

If it is discriminatory, then sue or prosecute. The State gov't does not wield tax laws as punishment. That is pure bullshit.

But this is blatant interference from the gov't. This is punishing Delta for taking away the NRA's discounts. That is NOT the job of the gov't. And that is certainly not part of the conservative's ideal for gov't.
it is now

face it, cons stand for nothing

Face it, no one is interested in what you do or don't think conservatives stand for. We have never been, nor will ever be, vying for your approval.

it is now

face it, cons stand for nothing

Face it, no one is interested in what you do or don't think conservatives stand for. We have never been, nor will ever be, vying for your approval.

bought any new whips lately?

Forum List

Back