Zone1 Giving up the search for God

What will the supernatural, of which all assertions of gods are a part, do for me or anyone else.
You miss the point. What would you do with the supernatural? Do you even want the supernatural? Do you feel a need for the supernatural? If you don't want or need it, then why mock or despise it?

When you require proof, more you need proof, you need to stay in the natural world. We do not see people who absolutely need dry land nearby at sea. Be the same. Since you absolutely cannot do without proof, don't move on to a place of no proof. You will just be a fish out of water, so stick with your natural environment. Plenty to learn there.
Huh. Stuck in my natural environment. I feel terrible about that. I just haven't found access to a supernatural environment

I hadn't realized I was stuck somewhere without the benefit of the christian gods.
You are stuck because you thought or expected your belief would bring you some kind of benefit. No benefit(s), right? Just demands, perhaps?

You miss the point. What would you do with the supernatural? Do you even want the supernatural? Do you feel a need for the supernatural? If you don't want or need it, then why mock or despise it?
It's a bit difficult to mock or despise the supernatural. A claimed reality that has no evidence to support its existence is not something I would mock or despise.

It is possible to question the existence of some claimed alternate reality. That seems to infuriate some folks.

You are stuck because you thought or expected your belief would bring you some kind of benefit. No benefit(s), right? Just demands, perhaps?
I don't hold any religious belief thus, no expectations. Do you mock and despise most of the planet's population because they don't hold your religious beliefs?

Do you feel your life is empty and without meaning without your religion?
Is that what you expected from religion? That your life would be fuller and filled with meaning? That is kind of like of like expecting life to be fuller and have more meaning because one has a paintbrush. Life only becomes fuller and more meaningful when one makes use of what they have.

Is that what you expected from religion? That your life would be fuller and filled with meaning? That is kind of like of like expecting life to be fuller and have more meaning because one has a paintbrush. Life only becomes fuller and more meaningful when one makes use of what they have.
As I'm not religious, I have no expectations from religion. Do you think your life would be less meaningful / valuable without religion?

Huh. Stuck in my natural environment. I feel terrible about that. I just haven't found access to a supernatural environment
I love my natural environment. I've lived in the desert and by the sea, near mountains, rivers, wetlands--but one can't be everywhere at once. However, I don't think I would thrive in Antarctica, so I doubt I'll ever go there, which will be my loss, but I am okay with that. In the same way, why work towards the spiritual realm if one has no interest in it? Why seek God if one has no interest in God?

Antarctica will not go away simply because of my lack of interest. It exists and lives on. The same with God. Lack of interest on your part will not change His existence.

It is possible to question the existence of some claimed alternate reality. That seems to infuriate some folks.
Try introducing the topic by claiming there is no such thing. Second, demand that someone else should make something supernatural happen for you--name something specific. Finally, if someone shares their experience with you be sure and tell them it was only brain neurons and add that they should get a checkup. That should bring peace to all you speak with. ;)

As I'm not religious, I have no expectations from religion. Do you think your life would be less meaningful / valuable without religion?
No more so than being without a best friend, a spouse, children, and chinchillas. There would be something else. No one misses what they never had--for me, that would be panning for gold, the Crown Jewels, or the original of the Mona Lisa. Meanwhile, I treasure the best friend, spouse, children, chinchillas, and God and wouldn't want to do without a one. Had to work hard for all of them. Worth it.

And you are okay with that.
Definitely. For among the many problems with all religions are the questions they are unable to answer.

The list of those questions is endless, including the exact nature of the kenosis, the conflicts between free will and predestination, the errors and omissions, erc. There have been wars fought over conflicts of theology concerning questions the Bible has no complete answers for.

In fact, the problem of unanswered and unanswerable questions is much larger problem with Christianity than it is with science. Remember, the adherents claim that Christianity is a "revealed religion". Since the source of those revelations is supposedly God Himself, then leaving us with contradictions and questions unanswered is a potential argument against the reality of the Faith. Certainly, by your reasoning, Christianity should possess clear and unmistakable connections to the God, right?

No more so than being without a best friend, a spouse, children, and chinchillas. There would be something else. No one misses what they never had--for me, that would be panning for gold, the Crown Jewels, or the original of the Mona Lisa. Meanwhile, I treasure the best friend, spouse, children, chinchillas, and God and wouldn't want to do without a one. Had to work hard for all of them. Worth it.
Bad analogy. A best friend, a spouse, children, and chinchillas don't make promises of everlasting bliss in heaven and don't make threats of eternal torment for a list of "crimes" I might inadvertently commit.

Definitely. For among the many problems with all religions are the questions they are unable to answer.
Why do you need the questions answered? What would you do with the answers? How might answers change your life?

Bad analogy. A best friend, a spouse, children, and chinchillas don't make promises of everlasting bliss in heaven and don't make threats of eternal torment for a list of "crimes" I might inadvertently commit.
Ah, so you did have expectations of God, and it sounds like both good ones and bad ones.

Hollie, I simply wanted to meet God and to know Him. Heaven and hell didn't enter into it. Never occurred to me to worry about behavior, let alone crimes.

Try introducing the topic by claiming there is no such thing. Second, demand that someone else should make something supernatural happen for you--name something specific. Finally, if someone shares their experience with you be sure and tell them it was only brain neurons and add that they should get a checkup. That should bring peace to all you speak with. ;)
On the other hand, introduce the topic and claim you speak with authority. Demand that supernaturalism is extant and observable. Share your experiences with the supernatural and insist others accept that as fact.

Why should I, or anyone else, accept that?

If you have to seek God, you'll never find God. IMO
One of my most heart-felt Bible verses is where Jesus said, "Blessed are they who have not seen, but believe." Some things are overpowering--it is a blessing simply to believe.

Jesus also said, "Seek and you shall find." While this is true, I can relate to your thought of those seeking never finding. People look in the wrong place with wrong expectations. That brings us back to believing without having to see. A blessing.

Why do you need the questions answered? What would you do with the answers? How might answers change your life?
What an odd series of questions. The human quest for answers about the universe and our place in it has been a defining characteristic of the species. The attitude of the religious is, at times, to throw their hands in the air and announce, ''we'll never know'', ''its blasphemous to ask'', ''gods ways are not our ways', etc.

Are you afraid to seek truth and facts, to explore and discover? If the existence of the laws of nature point you to gods, then to you there are gods. But that does not equal evidence. The existence of "natural laws" (human descriptions of natural phenomena) do not point to any gods.

Forum List

Back