Gluten Free

Sounds good. I'll have to try it.Always looking for good chili recipes.

What really made this guy's chili good was the corn, mushrooms, diced red pepper and a jalapeño!

We'd make some excellent huevos rancheros.

Thanks for the recipe.

Ohh...huevos rancheros...yeah baby!
A sfor corn/mushrooms etc. - add whatever you like! There are NO rules.
I also put mushrooms in chili sometimes.
If you like it - go for it.

Cheerios!

Sometimes they can be bland but berries help.

I need that Mexican chili recipe. A friend in Long Beach made a killer Mexican chili.

What is Mexican Chili?...you know that doesn't exist right?
It was Mexican black bean chili. He was from Mexico and we always called Mexican Chili.

Black bean is very good in chili.

Here is my chili recipe...hope I remember everything...

1 lb. Chicken Tenders, sliced in 1/4" thin - 1" chunks. (YES chicken!!! Trust me)
1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
4-5 Roma tomatoes diced and all of the juices
1 clove garlic, that's right - garlic
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
1/2 teaspoon ginger....yes ginger
Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown the chicken, take out of pot...sweat the onions till clear, then put in the garlic till starting to brown...add all ingredients and slow boil for 30-40 minutes.
Everybody loves this chili. I have made it for many

P.S.> Depending on how acidic the tomatoes are - I sometimes put in a pinch or two of sugar at the end to lose the acidic "wang"

Interesting. I've never made it with chicken before. I usually use beef (stew meat) and hamburger. You like it better with chicken?

By far.
The best thing about chili is the gravy - right?
Chicken is an absorber, it absorbs and becomes part of the overall flavor.
And it is of course less greasy.
Try it...I bet you like it.

With Velveeta on top? :p

What really made this guy's chili good was the corn, mushrooms, diced red pepper and a jalapeño!

Thanks for the recipe.

Mushrooms? Now I'm thinking about delicious stuffed mushrooms! :D You people are making me hungry!

What is Mexican Chili?...you know that doesn't exist right?
It was Mexican black bean chili. He was from Mexico and we always called Mexican Chili.

1 lb. Chicken Tenders, sliced in 1/4" thin - 1" chunks. (YES chicken!!! Trust me)
1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown the chicken, take out of pot...sweat the onions till clear, then put in the garlic till starting to brown...add all ingredients and slow boil for 30-40 minutes.

P.S.> Depending on how acidic the tomatoes are - I sometimes put in a pinch or two of sugar at the end to lose the acidic "wang"

Interesting. I've never made it with chicken before. I usually use beef (stew meat) and hamburger. You like it better with chicken?

By far.

Mexican cheese blend

Thanks for the recipe.

Mushrooms? Now I'm thinking about delicious stuffed mushrooms! :D You people are making me hungry!
^^^ that^^^

Grrr....
I am going to make you some Lasagna...all made from scratch including the pasta... some bruchetta and artisan rosemary bread...fast freeze it and UPS 2nd day it to you!
No velvetta...

I don't use velveeta in lasagna! That would be disgusting. Lol. Velveeta has it's place but not in Italian food! :lol:

1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

By far.

Mexican cheese blend

I was just joking. I use just cheddar cheese with my chili. Velveeta is not my favorite cheese, but it just goes well with some recipes. :)

1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

By far.

Mexican cheese blend

I was just joking. I use just cheddar cheese with my chili. Velveeta is not my favorite cheese, but it just goes well with some recipes. :)
Grilled cheese?

Secret to good Lasagna....nutmeg and mustard, that's right.

I found my mac and cheese recipe! :)

Ingredients:

2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
1 tsp dry ground mustard
1 tsp salt

2 cups Velveeta cheese (cubed)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (don't use already grated cheese in a bag - it sucks -grate it yourself -much better)
2-1/2 cups milk

elbow macaroni (or your choice of pasta)
crushed up crackers (I use Townhouse crackers)
1 tbs olive oil

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350

Melt butter in large saucepan
Add flour, dry mustard and salt
Mix well and cook for a minute to make a roux
Add milk and let thicken
Add cheese until melted

In the meantime, cook elbow macaroni unti al dente (you don't want it overcooked because it is going to cook in the oven too)
Drain pasta and put in a casserole dish
Add melted cheese mixture

Crush up crackers in a ZipLock baggie and add olive oil until it is consistency of sand
Sprinkle on top of mac and cheese mixture

Bake in oven at 350 for about half an hour-45 minutes

Eat and enjoy! :)

PS: You can use any cheese you prefer, but I really like the mixture of the Velveeta and cheddar.

By far.

Mexican cheese blend

Grilled cheese?

I actually make my grilled cheeses with bacon, tomato and cheddar. God, that is so yummy!

Never heard of that before! I don't make my own pasta, but I do make my own sauce! I've posted that around the food forum somewhere before too. :)

Here is a surprise for you... I use no spices in Lasagna. None. No basil, no Italian seasoning...nada.
Doesn't need it.
The base of Lasagna is Bolognese. Cooked down for a minimum hour.
I use, bacon...ground pork and ground sirloin as the meat, and then of course celery, onion and carrot...onion...garlic...tomato...etc.

So we have a friend from Scotland staying with us for several days next week, Monday-Wednesday. They have to be Gluten Free in all foods, we've been reading up on this....to say the least, food times are going to be very complicated from Monday-Wednesday.

Does anyone have any experience with Gluten Free stuff/people?
Just serve steak...

Or my infamous Mexican chili. :D

There's all kinds of veggie/rice/stew dishes you can do that have no gluten. Unless you're looking for a bowl of cereal it's not that hard.
Cheerios!

I need that Mexican chili recipe. A friend in Long Beach made a killer Mexican chili.

Whelp --- I just start with black beans and pinto bean in equal amounts, add diced tomato, onion, lots and lots and lots of bell pepper, ground meat and/or veggie crumbles, generous amounts of hot peppers (whatever I have) and habñero sauce, garlic, more garlic and still more garlic, and simmer.

I can make a YUUGE pot of that, chow down and not gain an ounce. It's all protein.

Never heard of that before! I don't make my own pasta, but I do make my own sauce! I've posted that around the food forum somewhere before too. :)

Here is a surprise for you... I use no spices in Lasagna. None. No basil, no Italian seasoning...nada.
Doesn't need it.
I use, bacon...ground pork and ground sirloin as the meat, and then of course celery, onion and carrot...onion...garlic...tomato...etc.

That sounds delicious! Here is my homemade sauce recipe. From my grandfather.

Ingredients:

13 oz can of tomatoes (I use San Marzano whole tomatoes in a can and crush them up with my hands or a potato masher)
Three 6-oz cans of tomato paste
2-1/2 c of water (I usually use a lot less than this, I like my sauce more on the thick side)
1 c parm or romano

1 minced onion (preferably Vidalia)
6 cloves garlic - minced
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup red wine (Cabernet, but I suppose you could use any - I also use a LOT more than just 1/2 a cup - I just kind of dump it in there - better with more wine)

3 tbs chopped parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (or more)
2 tbs sugar (optional - depending on how sweet the tomatoes are)

Directions:

Pour olive oil into a large pot and saute onions until translucent, add garlic, dried oregano and bay leaves (just to bring out the flavors in the spices.

Add tomato paste and cook for a minute or so.
Add wine and reduce a bit.

Pour in the crushed tomatoes.
Add sugar, salt, pepper to taste.
Add cheese.

Cook for several hours on low heat (the longer you cook it, the more flavorful).

Serve over pasta of your choice (I prefer spaghetti).

*I also par cook and add some sweet Italian sausage and let it finish cooking in the sauce frequently (in ground form - not links).*

So we have a friend from Scotland staying with us for several days next week, Monday-Wednesday. They have to be Gluten Free in all foods, we've been reading up on this....to say the least, food times are going to be very complicated from Monday-Wednesday.

Does anyone have any experience with Gluten Free stuff/people?
Just serve steak...

Or my infamous Mexican chili. :D

There's all kinds of veggie/rice/stew dishes you can do that have no gluten. Unless you're looking for a bowl of cereal it's not that hard.
Cheerios!

Whelp --- I just start with black beans and pinto bean in equal amounts, add diced tomato, onion, lots and lots and lots of bell pepper, ground meat and/or veggie crumbles, generous amounts of hot peppers (whatever I have) and habñero sauce, garlic, more garlic and still more garlic, and simmer.

I can make a YUUGE pot of that, chow down and not gain an ounce. It's all protein.

Garlic! I love garlic, and onions, and I don't care if they make my breath smelly! :lol:

Kudos to some posters here...good to see that there are people who don't fall for the hype.
Gluten, for normal people who are not allergic/intolerant of it - is not unhealthy. Complete garbage.

Yeah unfortunately the set of "normal people who are not intolerant of it" is fast disappearing, whether that's attributable to the gluten specifically or to the degradation of wheat.

Like a great many other I'm not intolerant to gluten, but selecting "Gluten Free" food automatically means "Wheat Free". That's why I do it.

I haven't seen anyone make the claim that "gluten is eeebil". People simply make choices to filter out the kind of foods that will act detrimentally. There's nothing "hype" about that --- it's simple self-preservation.

There is an artisan baker, actually several here, that use sour yeast and whole grains. No modified wheats. I hear you. But what I want people to know that bread is the greatest invention man has EVER made. PERIOD. Without it - civilization on a grand scale would never have been possible.
Bread/Gluten is not evil. What is "evil" is modern fast acting yeast and modified grains..as well as modern white flour. All it takes is to consider "Do I really want to trust multi-national corporations to supply my dinner table?".
Eat natural.

Again, nobody said gluten was eebil. Just that it's problematic.
Avoiding something because it's not good for ya doesn't mean it's "evil".

Points well taken on Big Food and eating natural. Processed food has always been an inferior choice. It didn't always make you fat though.

Doesn't need it.

That sounds delicious! Here is my homemade sauce recipe. From my grandfather.

Ingredients:

13 oz can of tomatoes (I use San Marzano whole tomatoes in a can and crush them up with my hands or a potato masher)
Three 6-oz cans of tomato paste
2-1/2 c of water (I usually use a lot less than this, I like my sauce more on the thick side)
1 c parm or romano

1 minced onion (preferably Vidalia)
6 cloves garlic - minced
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup red wine (Cabernet, but I suppose you could use any - I also use a LOT more than just 1/2 a cup - I just kind of dump it in there - better with more wine)

3 tbs chopped parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (or more)
2 tbs sugar (optional - depending on how sweet the tomatoes are)

Directions:

Pour olive oil into a large pot and saute onions until translucent, add garlic, dried oregano and bay leaves (just to bring out the flavors in the spices.

Add tomato paste and cook for a minute or so.
Add wine and reduce a bit.

Pour in the crushed tomatoes.
Add sugar, salt, pepper to taste.
Add cheese.

Cook for several hours on low heat (the longer you cook it, the more flavorful).

Serve over pasta of your choice (I prefer spaghetti).

*I also par cook and add some sweet Italian sausage and let it finish cooking in the sauce frequently (in ground form - not links).*

Ah...I also use bay leaves in the Bolognese...and of course red wine. What the hell is Italian cooking without wine in the sauce??!!

Forum List

Back