Gluten Free

More allergic people than back then?

On the one hand I'm sure that more people are becoming aware that it's an allergy that's causing them problems. Not that many years ago the those people might have been thought of as just picky or perhaps possessed of an over-active imagination.

But I have to wonder if some of the allergies are of genetic origin.

If that's the case are we seeing more people with genuine allergies because we've become aware of them and have found ways to deal with them?

An extreme example, a deadly allergy to certain sea foods like shrimp? Wasn't that many years ago when a person would discover that allergy by eating some shrimp and dying. Person I traveled with once ate a single "chip" in an Asian restaurant and almost immediately fell off the chair! Shrimp in the chip. Fortunately the owner of the place recognized it (the guy didn't know he had an allergy) and got paramedics on it quick enough that he survived. But if it's genetic - would it be passed on to children?

The question, then, is whether our ability recognize allergies and do stuff to prevent them from killing us or getting effective treatment, is allowing people who otherwise would have died to reproduce.

Is our own medical knowledge creating a population that is dangerously fragile? If so, could Eugenics raise its ugly head again? Should it?

But I love Velveeta! :D

OMG...stop it! Your killing me... try Gouda...way way waaaay - waaaaaay better than velvetta.

Oh I have. I like pretty much all the cheeses. Velveeta makes for a nice creamy mac and cheese though!

yes it melts well...but taste?
Make it with SHARP cheddar, Parmesan with a simple white sauce sauce....you will never eat the velvetta again.

I put cheddar in it too. I like the combination of the Velveeta with cheddar cheese for mac and cheese. I posted my recipe in the food section. It's awesome!

OMG...stop it! Your killing me... try Gouda...way way waaaay - waaaaaay better than velvetta.

Oh I have. I like pretty much all the cheeses. Velveeta makes for a nice creamy mac and cheese though!

Make it with SHARP cheddar, Parmesan with a simple white sauce sauce....you will never eat the velvetta again.

I put cheddar in it too. I like the combination of the Velveeta with cheddar cheese for mac and cheese. I posted my recipe in the food section. It's awesome!

I made a thread here... I have my Black IPA...and I am not moving for at least 2 hours...

I made Chicken Fettucini w/red sauce for 60 people today...no velvetta :D

So we have a friend from Scotland staying with us for several days next week, Monday-Wednesday. They have to be Gluten Free in all foods, we've been reading up on this....to say the least, food times are going to be very complicated from Monday-Wednesday.

Does anyone have any experience with Gluten Free stuff/people?
Just serve steak...

Or my infamous Mexican chili. :D

There's all kinds of veggie/rice/stew dishes you can do that have no gluten. Unless you're looking for a bowl of cereal it's not that hard.
Cheerios!

Sometimes they can be bland but berries help.

I need that Mexican chili recipe. A friend in Long Beach made a killer Mexican chili.

So we have a friend from Scotland staying with us for several days next week, Monday-Wednesday. They have to be Gluten Free in all foods, we've been reading up on this....to say the least, food times are going to be very complicated from Monday-Wednesday.

Just serve steak...

There's all kinds of veggie/rice/stew dishes you can do that have no gluten. Unless you're looking for a bowl of cereal it's not that hard.
Cheerios!

I need that Mexican chili recipe. A friend in Long Beach made a killer Mexican chili.

What is Mexican Chili?...you know that doesn't exist right?

I made a thread here... I have my Black IPA...and I am not moving for at least 2 hours...

I made Chicken Fettucini w/red sauce for 60 people today...no velvetta :D

I don't use Velveeta for everything, just mac and cheese and cheesy dips.

Just serve steak...

Cheerios!

It was Mexican black bean chili. He was from Mexico and we always called Mexican Chili.

Just serve steak...

Cheerios!

It was Mexican black bean chili. He was from Mexico and we always called Mexican Chili.

Black bean is very good in chili.

Here is my chili recipe...hope I remember everything...

1 lb. Chicken Tenders, sliced in 1/4" thin - 1" chunks. (YES chicken!!! Trust me)
1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
4-5 Roma tomatoes diced and all of the juices
1 clove garlic, that's right - garlic
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
1/2 teaspoon ginger....yes ginger
Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown the chicken, take out of pot...sweat the onions till clear, then put in the garlic till starting to brown...add all ingredients and slow boil for 30-40 minutes.
Everybody loves this chili. I have made it for many

P.S.> Depending on how acidic the tomatoes are - I sometimes put in a pinch or two of sugar at the end to lose the acidic "wang"

Just serve steak...

Cheerios!

1 lb. Chicken Tenders, sliced in 1/4" thin - 1" chunks. (YES chicken!!! Trust me)
1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown the chicken, take out of pot...sweat the onions till clear, then put in the garlic till starting to brown...add all ingredients and slow boil for 30-40 minutes.

P.S.> Depending on how acidic the tomatoes are - I sometimes put in a pinch or two of sugar at the end to lose the acidic "wang"

I put brown sugar in my chili too and coffee. My chili. I use like three different kinds of chili powder, regular, ancho and hot mexican.

Just serve steak...

Cheerios!

1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

Interesting. I've never made it with chicken before. I usually use beef (stew meat) and hamburger. You like it better with chicken?

Sounds good. I'll have to try it.Always looking for good chili recipes.

What really made this guy's chili good was the corn, mushrooms, diced red pepper and a jalapeño!

We'd make some excellent huevos rancheros.

Thanks for the recipe.

Now I want some chili!
hungry_boy.gif

Cheerios!

1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

Interesting. I've never made it with chicken before. I usually use beef (stew meat) and hamburger. You like it better with chicken?
Try it. I've had chicken chili. It's fantastic

Just serve steak...

Cheerios!

1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

No beans though. Something about the texture of beans grosses me out.

Cheerios!

1 Spanish onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans
1 can tomato sauce
2 T - chili powder
1 T cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste

By far.
The best thing about chili is the gravy - right?
Chicken is an absorber, it absorbs and becomes part of the overall flavor.
And it is of course less greasy.
Try it...I bet you like it.

Forum List

Back