GMC Sierra EV Denali Pickup Packs 754 hp, 400-Mile Range

Weight. Size. Distances traveled.
No, that doesn't do it, though distances traveled is almost there. The answer (that I thought rather obvious) is the impact of the charge time on multiple people traveling away from home. Someone has undoubtedly already taken an e-Bike ride from NY to LA, but the vast majority of bicycle travel is very local and the bike and its rider get to spend their evening hours at home recuperating. This is a good thing as electric bicycles take 3.5 to 6 hours to do a full recharge; almost as long as a car. But an automobile with 2.8 people in it that has to spend several hours at a highway rest stop 300 miles from home is a far more severe inconvenience. Perhaps the solution would be for EVs to assume the role currently given to bikes while long distance travel is relegated to mass transit. If rental EVs were widely available in dense urban areas (as are e-Bikes and e-Scooters now) such a scheme could work. This concept has already been widely explored but given American's singular distaste for mass transit in all forms, it seems unlikely of adoption.

No, that doesn't do it, though distances traveled is almost there. The answer (that I thought rather obvious) is the impact of the charge time on multiple people traveling away from home. Someone has undoubtedly already taken an e-Bike ride from NY to LA, but the vast majority of bicycle travel is very local and the bike and its rider get to spend their evening hours at home recuperating. This is a good thing as electric bicycles take 3.5 to 6 hours to do a full recharge; almost as long as a car. But an automobile with 2.8 people in it that has to spend several hours at a highway rest stop 300 miles from home is a far more severe inconvenience. Perhaps the solution would be for EVs to assume the role currently given to bikes while long distance travel is relegated to mass transit. If rental EVs were widely available in dense urban areas (as are e-Bikes and e-Scooters now) such a scheme could work. This concept has already been widely explored but given American's singular distaste for mass transit in all forms, it seems unlikely of adoption.
EV’s replacing ICE vehicles will never happen. Even you don’t drive one.

Perhaps nothing will replace the current crazy transportation situation. Instead, good sense will replace stupidity.

That was not my point. I am asking why an EV powered by Li-ion batteries is hunky dory for a bicycle but no-go for an automobile. I have my own ideas as to what the differences might be but I'd like to see what Ding's reasoning might be.
purpose

EV’s replacing ICE vehicles will never happen. Even you don’t drive one.

I think it will probably happen, eventually. At my age, I don't expect to still be alive when EVs are ready to truly replace real cars.

The batteries, and the means to charge them, are holding EVs back. Lithium-Ion is the best battery technology that we have, at this time, but it's expensive, short-lived, and dangerous; and has nowhere near the capacity of a similar mass or volume of gasoline; nor do we have the ability to charge them at a rate that is anywhere close to comparable to the rate at which we can pump gasoline into a real car. These are serious deficiencies, that make EVs unsuitable for most people, and which dwarf the advantages that EVs have to offer.

I think it will probably happen, eventually. At my age, I don't expect to still be alive when EVs are ready to truly replace real cars.

The batteries, and the means to charge them, are holding EVs back. Lithium-Ion is the best battery technology that we have, at this time, but it's expensive, short-lived, and dangerous; and has nowhere near the capacity of a similar mass or volume of gasoline; nor do we have the ability to charge them at a rate that is anywhere close to comparable to the rate at which we can pump gasoline into a real car. These are serious deficiencies, that make EVs unsuitable for most people, and which dwarf the advantages that EVs have to offer.
I think we will all get to see their deficiencies within the next ten years.

A large percentage of light vehicles could be re-charged at home or work with solar panels. Cars closer in weight and power to the VW Beetle are achievable. Two ton, 300 hp dinosaurs are not.

A large percentage of light vehicles could be re-charged at home or work with solar panels. Cars closer in weight and power to the VW Beetle are achievable. Two ton, 300 hp dinosaurs are not.
How about apartment dwellers?

A large percentage of light vehicles could be re-charged at home or work with solar panels.
How about apartment dwellers?

How about apartment-dwelling construction workers?

No charger available at home.

No charger available at a place that is still being built.

Up to 160 miles of daily commuting to and from a construction site, carrying hundreds of pounds of tools.

When am I supposed to have time to charge my EV, and how am I supposed to fit all my tools into a vehicle the size of a VW Beetle?

Do so many people have such a problem understanding clear, easy English?
I think you are confusing not understood with not in agreement. I understand what you are saying. I’m not in agreement with it.

no EV gets 300 miles on one charge. ZERO fat fk

Forum List

Back