Going To Costco?

Starting tomorrow, if you're going to be shopping at Costco you'll need to have a mask:

Masks Required At Costco

People are now calling for a boycott of the chain, calling the policy "tyrannical".

Really? Tyrannical? It's on a par with things done by people like Pol Pot and Hitler? I'd say that's a tad dramatic.

I don't really understand these dramatic reactions. Is it really that big a deal?

Some people are stupid, selfish and irresponsible. Plain and simple.

Some people use the most extreme words for situations that don't warrant it.

Some people are having a problem with a private company trying to keep everyone safe.

I find it very arrogant of those people to think they have the right to tell a private company what they can or can't do within the laws of our nation.

No one is forcing anyone to shop at Costco. If those people don't want to wear a mask then they won't be able to shop at Costco.

I applaud Costco for doing the responsible thing.

I wish these people would stop acting like spoiled brats, stop threatening and harassing people and businesses.

I was planning to take a trip to Costco. I’m happy they have the new policy. They already had strict limits on how many could enter at one time. Here in South Florida there are lots of old-timers who always wear masks anyway. Lots of infections in my county. Masks are uncomfortable. But for 30 minutes or so I guess it’s no big deal.

I’m an old-timer with asthma .. maybe I’ll chicken out & just order from Instacart ...:(

Last edited:
One of the primary things I think about is that I think Costco is the type of retailer which should be supported. They pay their employees very well (pretty sure starting wage is $15 an hour) and they offer an excellent benefits package...

Starting tomorrow, if you're going to be shopping at Costco you'll need to have a mask:

Masks Required At Costco

People are now calling for a boycott of the chain, calling the policy "tyrannical".

Really? Tyrannical? It's on a par with things done by people like Pol Pot and Hitler? I'd say that's a tad dramatic.

I don't really understand these dramatic reactions. Is it really that big a deal?
Sounds like they are discriminating against stupid people.

Masks Required At Costco

I don't blame any entity that is concerned with the fact that in The Land Of The Free they can be sued out of business if someone gets a cough after shopping there.

Masks Required At Costco

You are exempt if you have a medical condition. I'm surprisingly pretty OK with that, so long as the store is also handing them out for patrons to wear (who don't have one) as they enter the store.

Masks Required At Costco

What DOPer Trumpster going to spew 4 more years first here?
Be a supporter of the Great Douche. And remind shoppers who gave us COVID-19 by not acting sooner.
The only douche I see here is YOU, Baz. This thread is about COSTCO, not your trolling TDS addiction to trying to make every topic a slam against Trump.

Masks Required At Costco

It's their store and they have the right to make that policy. If people don't like it, they can shop elsewhere

I don't think its quite that simple because they make you PAY for membership and abide by a contract to shop there. That would mean they can't change the contract without consent of both parties. If the contract doesn't say you must wear a mask when the store says you must, then you could say no and if the store tries to throw you out demand full refund of your membership dues.

However, if the contract says that you must abide by the rule put in place by management?

Yes but the rules in force at the time of the contract signing.

Changing the rules changes the contract thus makes it invalid. So the choices for the business would be to attempt to obtain a new contract with each member that they then sign or if they refuse to abide by the new rules of the changed contract invalidate their membership and return their dues.

But when you sign a contract about a membership of a club or whatnot you're agreeing to the rules set forth by the contract at the time of its signing. It does not mean "no matter what new rules are in place I agree to them without question".

It would be like you signing a contract to be a member of a place that has a pool. While you're a member a rule is put in place that you must wear a speedo to swim in the pool. But that rule didn't exist when you became a member. So you have a right to refuse to wear the speedo and demand your membership dues back because of breech of contract.

Perhaps new companies that start up or existing ones should build in medium sized cities where the politics is more sensible. The hit in the old blue cities is just to massive. Look how fast they went to pieces. They are like bragging tough boxers with glass jaws.

Forum List

Back