"Good guy" with gun shoots car jacking victim, then flees.

I hope the victim is ok.

I hope the shooter is not found. Poor guy tried to help, has to realize that the libs would love to make an example of him.

Be great if the courts punish the car jackers for the injury.

:beer:

I like the way you think. The jackers should share in the blame for injuries suffered by the vehicle owner. No two ways about it.

There isn't a statistic. Most of them are a myth. They aren't supported by any real statistic.

Then how do you know they are a myth if, as you claim, there are not any hard numbers on them?

I did not say all are a myth. Well we know there are about 230 criminals shot and killed in defense each year. Then there are 50 or so stories that make the news each year. They happen, but not in any significant numbers.

You stated that "most of them are a myth".

How do you know that if there are no "real statistics"?

The number of criminals shot and killed obviously leaves out the number of criminals shot and wounded, and the number of times that criminals were deterred with just the presence of a gun.

When you said that "none" of your carry friends have defended themselves, were you only counting the ones that shot and killed criminals in self defense, or all of those that used a gun, in any fashion to defend themselves from a crime?

Well some people claim millions each year. those numbers aren't even mathematically possible based on current crime rates and ownership rates. So if somebody thinks there are millions, than most of those are a myth.

When you said that "none" of your carry friends have defended themselves, were you only counting the ones that shot and killed criminals in self defense, or all of those that used a gun, in any fashion to defend themselves from a crime?

Here is a study of actual confirmed defenses:
Analysis of Five Years of Armed Encounters (With Data Tables)

34% ended with death of criminal.

Since when you or I are not responsible for the consequences of our accidents?

Mmmm, well, for one, since some one else might be responsible.

If you slip and fall on an icy sidewalk, are you to be held "responsible"? Or the person responsible for clearing the sidewalk of ice?

This is more a person gets pushed and falls. Yes the pusher is responsible.

Who created the dangerous situation of a "icy sidewalk/violent crime" in the two situations?

The pusher and the shooter.

Shooter didn't create the crime. The carjackers did that.

Why do you want to give them a pass for the results of the crime they committed?

You as generous with slumlords who don't clean their sidewalks?

The car jackers get charged for car jacking.

The shooter did create the negligent crime of shooting innocent person and fleeing scene of crime. He would have done victim a favor by minding his own business.

The shooter is responsible for shooting his victim.

The car jackers share some of it but do not excuse all of it.

The the 'hero' ran away.

I hope the victim is ok.

I hope the shooter is not found. Poor guy tried to help, has to realize that the libs would love to make an example of him.

Be great if the courts punish the car jackers for the injury.

:beer:
Hell no. You shoot someone, you pay. Call the fucking cops. That's what they're there for. Having a gun isn't enough. Knowing when and where and HOW to use it are key elements. Even trained officers miss some of the time--especially under live pressure. I don't think this dude needs to be made an example of, but, we don't need vigilantes.

The USA is full of Charles Bronson wannabes, armed to the teeth. This was inevitable. I knew two police officers who were shot by citizens, because they were mistaken for prowlers at night. One died, the other is disabled. You bet your ass that the shooter should be prosecuted as an example to others.

Where do ya'll get this wacky notion that this feller was a "good guy"? A "good guy" would not flee the scene. Good guys own up to it when they make a mistake and take responsibility for their actions. Good intentions are not enough to make one a "good guy". That some of you don't understand this is pretty freakin depressing for our country.

Where do ya'll get this wacky notion that this feller was a "good guy"? A "good guy" would not flee the scene. Good guys own up to it when they make a mistake and take responsibility for their actions. Good intentions are not enough to make one a "good guy". That some of you don't understand this is pretty freakin depressing for our country.
I've been thinking: Maybe this guy wasn't so much of a good guy? What if he and the supposed victim had some ongoing feud and the shooter just took advantage of the situation and happens to be a great shot (missing both carjackers and only hitting his target)?
It could happen...

Then how do you know they are a myth if, as you claim, there are not any hard numbers on them?

I did not say all are a myth. Well we know there are about 230 criminals shot and killed in defense each year. Then there are 50 or so stories that make the news each year. They happen, but not in any significant numbers.

The number of criminals shot and killed obviously leaves out the number of criminals shot and wounded, and the number of times that criminals were deterred with just the presence of a gun.

Well some people claim millions each year. those numbers aren't even mathematically possible based on current crime rates and ownership rates. So if somebody thinks there are millions, than most of those are a myth.

Any fashion obviously.

"Obviously"? It is the exact opposite of obvious.

YOu have set the standard for everyone else to only count, as defensive uses, those that shoot and kill the criminal(s) in question.

Indeed, it is odd that you would use a different standard for what you count as defensive uses with your friends than you use for the issue at large.

The shooter must be found and tried for his stupid results of the shooting. CCW and reckless shooting are not get out of jail free cards. We are responsible for what we do.

Some time in prison would help.
You don't think this sounds like an honest accident?
Since when you or I are not responsible for the consequences of our accidents?

Mmmm, well, for one, since some one else might be responsible.

If you slip and fall on an icy sidewalk, are you to be held "responsible"? Or the person responsible for clearing the sidewalk of ice?
False equivalency. The shooter had no cover of law if he shot the wrong person. Then he fled. Stupid.

The shooter has coverage of law if he shot the RIGHT person.

THus good equivalency.

A "good guy" might take responsibility if he had Faith in the system that he would be treated fairly.

The anti-gun, anti-self defense libs have shown that would not be the case.

Numbers collected from the Armed Citizen?

Which would self select OUT all the relatively boring examples where the brandishing of a gun convinced the thugs to move on.

Any fashion obviously.

YOu have set the standard for everyone else to only count, as defensive uses, those that shoot and kill the criminal(s) in question.

Indeed, it is odd that you would use a different standard for what you count as defensive uses with your friends than you use for the issue at large.

Where did I say that? Have you lost your mind?

Which would self select OUT all the relatively boring examples where the brandishing of a gun convinced the thugs to move on.

Do you have another study that states how often a criminal is shot and killed?

Any fashion obviously.

Your words.

"Well we know there are about 230 criminals shot and killed in defense each year. Then there are 50 or so stories that make the news each year. They happen, but not in any significant numbers."

Any fashion obviously.

Your words.

"Well we know there are about 230 criminals shot and killed in defense each year. Then there are 50 or so stories that make the news each year. They happen, but not in any significant numbers."

Yes I was stating what we know. I didn't state those are the only ones.

Do you have another study that states how often a criminal is shot and killed?

Why would I care about how often a criminal is shot and killed?

That's the bar YOU set.

Me? I care about how often innocent Citizens protect themselves.

Forum List

Back