Goodbye to bad theology - Workers quietly remove Ten Commandments from Oklahoma Capitol

A sad day in America, another sure sign of our decline.
The sad day was when the damn thing was installed. Learn what it means to live in a secular nation, where your faith doesn't get to just shit on all the rest just because you're in the majority.

Well, since you're the OP, it would appear to me that it is YOU who is attempting to impose YOUR views on others. It appears things of a religious nature really bother you. Why? I have seen no one on this thread attempt to impose any views upon you. Can't others besides yourself have opinions and views of their own?

Some people are not going to be satisfied until they bring their church into everyone else's life 24/7, whether they like it or not. This is why it was illegal to open any store on Sunday when I grew up in the South, except gas stations, pharmacy, or food stores.

Fortunately, these days are over.

And the other side will not be happy until religious expressions are forced behind closed, locked doors.
please. nobody is pushing for that but you do have a lot of people pushing to have their religion recognized by the government.

Really? Lets look at that case of the cross on the hill in San Diego. There was a plan to sell the parcel so it would be "private property" but the atheists were against it.

Some of them want no reminder of religion in public, and thats not going to happen.

The sad day was when the damn thing was installed. Learn what it means to live in a secular nation, where your faith doesn't get to just shit on all the rest just because you're in the majority.

If you own belief structure is threatened by a few words on stone monument, its your own issue.

Should the thing have been there? probably not, but that doesn't mean the people wanting to get rid of it, or place satanistic equivalents out of spite ar right either.
although i agree that someone's faith should not be threatened by some words on a stone monument, i don't think putting that monument in a place of supposed neutrality sends the right message to people that don't ascribe to those words.

It's still not establishment of Religion. The ten commandments have historical value as a basis of the concept of laws.
they kinda do. but they are also religious in nature. and as far as influence on our laws and courts they're not very important.
so sure i agree that they have a historic value but that's not why they were installed in oklahoma.

So how is it "establishment" of religion for it to be there?

If you own belief structure is threatened by a few words on stone monument, its your own issue.

Should the thing have been there? probably not, but that doesn't mean the people wanting to get rid of it, or place satanistic equivalents out of spite ar right either.
although i agree that someone's faith should not be threatened by some words on a stone monument, i don't think putting that monument in a place of supposed neutrality sends the right message to people that don't ascribe to those words.

It's still not establishment of Religion. The ten commandments have historical value as a basis of the concept of laws.

No they don't.

Nothing in the Constitution is derived from the 10 commandments.

Well, I assume, I really don't know though, but is not the folks that put it up taking it down? Doesn't it belong to them to do with as they please?

No...the basis for the concept of laws is Hammarabi's Code.

No they don't.

I said laws, not the constitution.

Don't murder, Don't steal, Don't lie. I think there are laws that say the same thing.....

No...the basis for the concept of laws is Hammarabi's Code.

As is the 10 commandments, as is the Torah, as are the writings of confucius, as is even the Koran. There is not just one source of law, or the concept of law.

Some people are not going to be satisfied until they bring their church into everyone else's life 24/7, whether they like it or not. This is why it was illegal to open any store on Sunday when I grew up in the South, except gas stations, pharmacy, or food stores.

Who on this thread besides the OP has even attempted to force any beliefs on you? Get real. Be honest.

No they don't.

Don't murder, Don't steal, Don't lie. I think there are laws that say the same thing.....

Yeah. I'm sure thieves don't like part of it, serial killers don't like part of it, liars don't like part of it, adulterers don't like part of it. Can't please everybody.

The fact that it is being QUIETLY removed just shows that they know if it was announced that it was being removed because of the minority of Liberals and atheists who want it gone this would blow up not only as a huge issue opposed by the majority in this community but that it would also become an unwanted national story. Much like how Obamacare was rammed into law while the majority of Americans who opposed it slept, Liberals slip another one past the people.

C'mon....'man up'. Take 'pride' in what you're doing rather than cowardly try to hide it! Of course that's not the liberal / atheist way.

Well, since you're the OP, it would appear to me that it is YOU who is attempting to impose YOUR views on others. It appears things of a religious nature really bother you. Why? I have seen no one on this thread attempt to impose any views upon you. Can't others besides yourself have opinions and views of their own?
How is it imposing one's views on others by not allowing those others to put their religious codes on government property?

Here's a good rule of thumb to check appropriateness......Would it be JUST AS acceptable to put a monument with Islam's Five Pillars of Faith or Buddhism's EIghtfold Path in front of that same government building? If the answer is yes....go for it. If the answer is no, give it a pass.

The only appropriate place to place a Satanic Statue would be inside the entrance to the DNC Headquarters....

:lmao:

And the other side will not be happy until religious expressions are forced behind closed, locked doors.
please. nobody is pushing for that but you do have a lot of people pushing to have their religion recognized by the government.

Really? Lets look at that case of the cross on the hill in San Diego. There was a plan to sell the parcel so it would be "private property" but the atheists were against it.

Some of them want no reminder of religion in public, and thats not going to happen.
That's not what happened at all....the city attempted to sell the property for very little to a specific organization....NOT at public auction going to the highest bidder as per city law.

they kinda do. but they are also religious in nature. and as far as influence on our laws and courts they're not very important.
so sure i agree that they have a historic value but that's not why they were installed in oklahoma.

So how is it "establishment" of religion for it to be there?
No more or less than putting a statue of Satan there, or a monument with the Five Pillars of Islam or Buddhism's Eightfold Path. Allow any and all.....or none.

That's not what happened at all....the city attempted to sell the property for very little to a specific organization....NOT at public auction going to the highest bidder as per city law.

Which proves my point over the hostility of asshole atheists to any religious expression whatsoever in public.

No they don't.

Right...and those laws were around before the 10 Commandments....in all places of the world.

And correct me if I'm wrong, did the sale require the cross to remain in place so that the purchaser of the property couldn't remove it from property they now owned? In other words the sale of the land was rigged to produce a specific outcome.

>>>>

Forum List

Back