GOP Leadership Memo Suggests Senate Cannot Block Trial If House Votes To Impeach Trump

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
“There is no way we could somehow bar the doors and prevent the managers from presenting the articles” of impeachment, states the memo.

The Republican leadership issued a memo Saturday clarifying that the Senate must take action if the House of Representatives approves articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump. The statement came in response to concerns that the Senate could simply refuse to hold a trial.

“There is no way we could somehow bar the doors and prevent the managers from presenting the articles to the Senate,” stated the memo, which was obtained by HuffPost. “The rules of impeachment are clear on this point.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) also said as much in a March interview with NPR: “If it [impeachment] were to happen, the Senate has no choice. If the House were to act, the Senate immediately goes into a trial.”

McConnell could call a vote on a motion to dismiss, which would effectively amount to a vote to acquit Trump of wrongdoing.

GOP Leadership Memo Suggests Senate Cannot Block Trial If House Votes To Impeach Trump

Sounds good - but apparently "McConnell could call a vote on a motion to dismiss, which would effectively amount to a vote to acquit Trump of wrongdoing." I don't trust any of them!

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see Moscow Mitch just ignoring it and not allowing a vote

There will be no vote to impeach though, so this is just some fairy tale to keep you distracted.

So are ya? :71:

“There is no way we could somehow bar the doors and prevent the managers from presenting the articles” of impeachment, states the memo.

The Republican leadership issued a memo Saturday clarifying that the Senate must take action if the House of Representatives approves articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump. The statement came in response to concerns that the Senate could simply refuse to hold a trial.

“There is no way we could somehow bar the doors and prevent the managers from presenting the articles to the Senate,” stated the memo, which was obtained by HuffPost. “The rules of impeachment are clear on this point.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) also said as much in a March interview with NPR: “If it [impeachment] were to happen, the Senate has no choice. If the House were to act, the Senate immediately goes into a trial.”

Good news! So, now we have that cleared up.

No they can't according to the law, if congress impeaches the senate has to hold a trial.

It's unrealistic in my opinion to believe that the senate will vote to impeach the president. Short of legitimate and indisputable evidence of real crimes being presented in the near future that would force the majority in the senate to have no choice but to vote for impeachment it's purely at this point a political action being pushed by the House majority which will either be a benefit or a bust for them in the next election cycle. I think it's been pretty open that for the past few years a percentage of the Democratic Party and elected officials have been looking for the opportunity to push for impeachment, and this is the moment that it culminated. I don't know if this will help or hurt the Democrats or help or hurt the Republicans but in my own personal opinion I don't believe most Americans want this. I think most Americans just want the political theatre between the parties to stop.

No they can't according to the law, if congress impeaches the senate has to hold a trial.

Takes 66 Senators to find him guilty.

Won't happen.

Takes 66 Senators to find him guilty.

Won't happen.

It won't happen and I didn't say it would I said by law if congress impeaches senate has to hold a trial.

Meanwhile the poor and middle class are suffering because asshole Dem's in the House refuse to work with the president on anything. They are consumed with their Salem witch trial. Is it really any surprise that the American people hate them?

Why does it come as a shock to desperate lefties that the Senate has to respond if impeachment charges are presented by the House? That's the way the system works.

I don't think it is "law". I think it is under the current Senate Rules that the Chief Justice takes over the matter once received and called upon. Of course this is the same Chief Justice who voted with the unanimous Court to throw out Gov. McDonnell's conviction because the federal corruption laws need to have an explicit quid pro quo offer made to apply despite the Obama DOJ's interpretation of them.

Even if the Senate doesn't convict - there will be a record as to how they all voted. Depending on how strong the evidence is - this could have a chilling affect on their decisions.

Even if the Senate doesn't convict - there will be a record as to how they all voted. Depending on how strong the evidence is - this could have a chilling affect on their decisions.

There is no evidence of anything or any wrongdoing but hey.....go for it. This is hilarious. Remember, libs will be on record from the house also. Lol.

Forum List

Back