GOP may "leverage" debt ceiling against de-funding Obamacare

The 8% of the people who are TPM have the right to yell but have no right to tell us what the law will or will not be.

That has already been decided.

The 8% of the people who are TPM have the right to yell but have no right to tell us what the law will or will not be.

That has already been decided.

No it hasnt when you have Obama changing the law at whim.

Not at all. Administrative and executive actions are legal, and where necessary, can be ratified by the Congress.

This over, a done deal except for the far right squeal.

The reactionaries have enough votes in Congress to buy toilet paper but almost nothing else.

House Republicans likely could muster enough votes to get their choice of toilet paper, but the problem is the vote on which rest rooms get the 2 ply and which get the 1 ply... they'll never get the vote on that one!

The debt ceiling provisions were put in place for a reason, and stopping the wreckless spending and radical expansion of government stipulated by PPACA is the best excuse I can think of to enforce them. This isn't blackmail. It's utilizing rules designed to protect the interests of the minority against the roughshod abuse of the majority.

The debt ceiling provisions were put in place for a reason, and stopping the wreckless spending and radical expansion of government stipulated by PPACA is the best excuse I can think of to enforce them. This isn't blackmail. It's utilizing rules designed to protect the interests of the minority against the roughshod abuse of the majority.

Republicans have approved the spending ... but now they don't want to pay the bills.

So what else is new?

Republicans have approved the spending ... but now they don't want to pay the bills.

So what else is new?

They can 'unapprove' the spending that takes us over the limit. The point of the debt ceiling laws is to force them to make exactly those kinds of decisions. Instead, they just keep hitting the snooze button. Time to wake up.

If the far right reactionaries manufacture a debt ceiling limit crisis, the GOP will be punished by the electorate and most of the TPM reps will be defeated in the primaries next year.

So what else is new?

really? no democrats voted for the spending bills and CR's ?

How many budget bills has Reid allowed on the floor of the senate for debate or vote in the last 5 years? answer---zero. No, I am wrong, the senate did vote on one obama budget proposal and defeated it 98-0. and you blame republicans? what are you smoking?

If the far right reactionaries manufacture a debt ceiling limit crisis, the GOP will be punished by the electorate and most of the TPM reps will be defeated in the primaries next year.

Maybe. I think they're more worried about the opposite - the backlash if the don't make an effort to fight ACA.

So what else is new?

Of course Democrats voted for the spending bills - and they believe Congress must pay these bills .... unlike Republicans, who want to renege on paying for them.

Last edited:

Maybe. I think they're more worried about the opposite - the backlash if the don't make an effort to fight ACA.

a majority of americans want ACA repealed or changed. Exactly what is wrong with doing what the majority wants?

The "fight against ACA" is over, Republicans got knocked out of the ring... their best bet is to lick their wounds and live with this defeat.

a majority of americans want ACA repealed or changed. Exactly what is wrong with doing what the majority wants?

Nope.

Even if it's not a majority. The Constitution protects minorities from being arbitrarily bullied by the majority.

So what else is new?

Of course Democrats voted for the spending bills - and they believe Congress must pay these bills .... unlike Republicans, who want to renege on paying for them.

where do you get this crap? no one wants to reneg on our debt. What the GOP is trying to do is limit the amount of new debt.

WE are 17 trillion in debt and its been going up by 1 trillion a year under obama. Do you think we can just continue deficit spending forever?

Of course Democrats voted for the spending bills - and they believe Congress must pay these bills .... unlike Republicans.

Yes. But they screwed up, and took us over the debt limit. Time to face the music.

The time to worry about a debt limit is before Republicans vote to spend the money - not after

...now the Conductors is playing that old song we hate so much: "Time has come to pay the bills"

Even if it's not a majority. The Constitution protects minorities from being arbitrarily bullied by the majority.

Yes, but chairman maobama knows whats best for all of us, we should just roll over and do as he says, right?

where do you get this crap? no one wants to reneg on our debt. What the GOP is trying to do is limit the amount of new debt.

The time to limit debt is before Republicans vote to spend the money ... not after.

Forum List

Back