Gop wants to reduce what private insurance covers and the dims want to end private insurance.

You do realize that a $50k hospital bill will bankrupt over half of all Americans, right? Keel over & get major heart surgery and you just whip out that credit card to pay that $400K bill. You are being ridiculous,

What's ridiculous is that you continue to support the system that makes them that expensive in the first place.

The Republican Party is going to be known as the party of taking health care away from millions of Americans. This administration is going completely against the will of the people, going against the will of Congress, and trying to pull the rug out from under millions and millions of American families

Do you libtards not understand that there is a difference in health CARE and health INSURANCE?

You want a leftist to understand the difference between having something and having someone else pay for them to have it?

Be serious.

I can't fathom why it's such a difficult concept that people should be able to decide for themselves what insurance they want to pay for. We do it with car insurance, homeowners' insurance, every other damned insurance under the sun, but when it comes to health insurance, suddenly everyone has to have the same "minimum coverage" for every frigging organ system and possible illness under the sun, whether it has anything to do with you or not.

It's not about health care. It's about control

The Republican Party is going to be known as the party of taking health care away from millions of Americans. This administration is going completely against the will of the people, going against the will of Congress, and trying to pull the rug out from under millions and millions of American families

I'm not a Republican, and I despise Trump - but if he and the Republicans can reverse the 100 year campaign to socialize health care, they might just get my vote.

But I'm not holding my breath. For most of them, it's just bluster. They like power every bit as much as the Democrats.
There is no effort to socialize health care. You evidently have no clue what that means.

With single payer you get healthcare from the private doctors of your choice at private facilities.

Except for the fact that the single-payer determines what the amount paid for said coverage is. Why would anyone want to go to medical school and sacrifice all they do in order to be poor?

Because insurance companies don't set what doctors get paid?

Didn't you ever look at your bill from the doctor?

Doctor fees: $1500.00
Insurance pays $450.00

Have you ever compared an EOB with private health insurance to one with Medicare?

Medicare is farmed out to insurance companies.

Not so much. You have "original Medicare which is Part A and Part B. In most plans the Gov is primary
They pay first, then the Private companies pay. The advantage plans replace OM in that they, not the Gov pay, those plans are called Part C

That's what I thought when I first looked into it. Turns out it's not true.

I'm not talking about the "advantage" plans, which are supplemental. The core of Medicare (Part A and Part B) is farmed out to private insurance companies. They make the decisions on whether or not to pay claims, and profit from those decisions.

33. Medicare is a Private–Public Partnership || Center for Medicare Advocacy

Most people think Medicare is a government program. That’s only partly true. While Congress created Medicare, and continues to develop Medicare coverage and appeal rules, decisions to pay claims are actually made by private companies. The government does not make those decisions. This was one of the compromises made in order to pass Medicare in 1965 – and the public-private partnership continues to date.

Indeed, the entities granting or denying coverage, and those deciding whether or not to pay claims, are mostly private insurance companies. For example, Anthem is the parent company of “National Government Services,” one of the major Medicare claims administrators. Another Medicare administrative contractor, “MAXIMUS,” is a for-profit company that helps state, federal and foreign governments administer programs.

A GP/MD deserves no more money than an architect and a heart/vascular surgeon deserves no more than a master cabinet/furniture design/ builder.
Both require equal time/education/experience and, generally speaking, one can not do the others type of work. Therin lies your problem....
OOOPS. SHALOM ! :alirulz:

Except a heart surgeon that makes a mistake can kill someone, whereas a cabinet builder who makes a mistake has to remake something.
Well. You're in a place where overpaid assholes remove the wrong limb or the heart surgeon opens the wrong person who was actually in for a gallbladder removal instead of heart work.

There's a reason we pay those doctors so much. They HAVE to be good, and bad ones get flushed out. The ONLY thing I care about when my loved one is being cut open is the doctor's competency. I don't care if he's the biggest egotist the world has ever known.

And usually, the better a doctor is, the more of an egomaniacal asshole he is.

Take away healthcare from 20 million Americans and what you have are 20 million voters who show up.

No, they won't.

Again, you don't even understand the terms you are using. You don't take away healthcare. You take away expensive health INSURANCE that none of them are able to afford anyway!
So You think taking away access is not taking it away.

The ACA exchanges offered health insurance policies with subsidies for those households earning less than 4x poverty rate. The subsidies were based on people paying the maximum of 9.5% of that income on premiums.

You really need to learn what is in the ACA because you are making an ass out of yourself on this subject.

So you think if someone else doesn't pay for it for you, you have no access at all?

The decision to cover or not to cover should be at the discretion of the insurance companies

Minimum coverages are set to protect the consumer.

Yes, I definitely need to be protected from the "horrors" of having a health care plan that doesn't cover prostate exams or birth control. What would I, a 50-year-old woman, do without those "essential" coverages in my life? And how could anyone POSSIBLY assume I'm intelligent enough to decide for myself what I do and don't need, simply because I'm an adult who looks after herself on everything else in my life?

prostate exams were covered before obamacare and again I guess I should say depending on what insurance company and state.

Remember the great ObamaCare benefit of paying for colonoscopies? I paid over $3000 out of pocket for my "covered" colonoscopy. Prior to ObamaCare, it would have covered at 90% under my company provided health insurance. How did ObamaCare help that situation?

Our country need a "come to Jesus" moment - we need to face the reality that, in the end, insurance makes health care less affordable for everyone. It's a kind of pyramid scam that undermines markets and drives prices higher and higher. We're better off paying for as much of our own health care as we can possibly afford.

If people only knew what medical billing REALLY involves, and how much it REALLY drives the complications and cost, they'd be appalled. They think they know, but they really don't.

I'm not a Republican, and I despise Trump - but if he and the Republicans can reverse the 100 year campaign to socialize health care, they might just get my vote.

But I'm not holding my breath. For most of them, it's just bluster. They like power every bit as much as the Democrats.
There is no effort to socialize health care. You evidently have no clue what that means.

With single payer you get healthcare from the private doctors of your choice at private facilities.

Except for the fact that the single-payer determines what the amount paid for said coverage is. Why would anyone want to go to medical school and sacrifice all they do in order to be poor?

Insurance pays $450.00

That's done deliberately, because the insurance companies routinely pay a percentage of the actual bill. The hospital/doctor inflates the price to drive the actual payment up to about the real cost. Take a good look at the bill and you'll usually see an adjustment or something that is a write off of most of the bill.

If the contract your doctor has with your insurer includes a clause that prevents them from billing you for the unpaid remainder, you'd best believe they are charging more in order to get the percentage up.

Unfortunately, that means the price for other people also goes up, whatever their coverage, because there are restrictions on charging different prices to different people for the same thing. Not to say it can't happen, but it's very tricky.

Insurance pays $450.00

That's done deliberately, because the insurance companies routinely pay a percentage of the actual bill. The hospital/doctor inflates the price to drive the actual payment up to about the real cost. Take a good look at the bill and you'll usually see an adjustment or something that is a write off of most of the bill.

And if you're not insured, you can usually bargain with the doctor to pay the actual prices, and rather than the inflated price they charge insured customers. I went without health insurance for years, even while raising my two sons, and I got pretty good at cutting these kinds of deals.

It's not uncommon to have some sort of discount program for self-pay.

And if you're not insured, you can usually bargain with the doctor to pay the actual prices, and rather than the inflated price they charge insured customers. I went without health insurance for years, even while raising my two sons, and I got pretty good at cutting these kinds of deals.
Wow, how naive can you get.
Naive enough to not believe the insurance salesmen. It's mostly a scam.
I didn't need a salesman to know the value of health insurance. You had children & could have had a heart attack putting your family in the street So really, you are that stupid.
No, what should happen is you should be reimbursed by the insurance company after you find the procedure and pay for it.....if you want lower cost, you cant have the patient dislodged from the cost......it's why consumer electronics are so cheap.......because people cant buy what they cant afford.

That actually used to be how it worked. You paid the bill, and then submitted it to the insurance company for reimbursement.

Minimum coverages are set to protect the consumer.

Yes, I definitely need to be protected from the "horrors" of having a health care plan that doesn't cover prostate exams or birth control. What would I, a 50-year-old woman, do without those "essential" coverages in my life? And how could anyone POSSIBLY assume I'm intelligent enough to decide for myself what I do and don't need, simply because I'm an adult who looks after herself on everything else in my life?

prostate exams were covered before obamacare and again I guess I should say depending on what insurance company and state.

Remember the great ObamaCare benefit of paying for colonoscopies? I paid over $3000 out of pocket for my "covered" colonoscopy. Prior to ObamaCare, it would have covered at 90% under my company provided health insurance. How did ObamaCare help that situation?

Our country need a "come to Jesus" moment - we need to face the reality that, in the end, insurance makes health care less affordable for everyone. It's a kind of pyramid scam that undermines markets and drives prices higher and higher. We're better off paying for as much of our own health care as we can possibly afford.

If people only knew what medical billing REALLY involves, and how much it REALLY drives the complications and cost, they'd be appalled. They think they know, but they really don't.

Doctors usually have to hire at least one person specifically to handle insurance companies. It's a full time job.

Take away healthcare from 20 million Americans and what you have are 20 million voters who show up.

No, they won't.

Again, you don't even understand the terms you are using. You don't take away healthcare. You take away expensive health INSURANCE that none of them are able to afford anyway!
So You think taking away access is not taking it away.

The ACA exchanges offered health insurance policies with subsidies for those households earning less than 4x poverty rate. The subsidies were based on people paying the maximum of 9.5% of that income on premiums.

You really need to learn what is in the ACA because you are making an ass out of yourself on this subject.

So you think if someone else doesn't pay for it for you, you have no access at all?

Not at all. But hey you make it sound like someone is trying to get something for nothing.
I guess you don't have insurance. You obviously must pay cash for your medical care because certainly you don't want someone else paying for it, like your insurance company.

Try to get care without insurance.

I can't fathom why it's such a difficult concept that people should be able to decide for themselves what insurance they want to pay for. We do it with car insurance, homeowners' insurance, every other damned insurance under the sun, but when it comes to health insurance, suddenly everyone has to have the same "minimum coverage" for every frigging organ system and possible illness under the sun, whether it has anything to do with you or not.

It's not about health care. It's about control
What control is that?

Evidently you prefer your insurance company limits you to their network? Or as with Medicare where there is no network.

Control??? Find a new dupe because the only one being duped is you.

How in the world can the GOP "reduce what private insurance covers"? The whole A.P. story is a pathetic effort to give democrats aid and comfort and something, anything to hold on to in 2020 after they ...sniff...sniff failed in their effort to overturn the election

You end obamacare and it gets rid of many protections and coverages. You never did know anything about the ACA did you?

What protections and coverages? If you cannot afford the high premiums and huge deductibles, what difference do those mean?

Get a better job (LOL, that's how the right wingers argue against the minimum wage). The fact is, the PPACA (Obamare) subsidizes the cost for health care.
Only if you're a deadbeat. It sure as hell didn't subsidize mine.

How in the world can the GOP "reduce what private insurance covers"? The whole A.P. story is a pathetic effort to give democrats aid and comfort and something, anything to hold on to in 2020 after they ...sniff...sniff failed in their effort to overturn the election

You end obamacare and it gets rid of many protections and coverages. You never did know anything about the ACA did you?

What protections and coverages? If you cannot afford the high premiums and huge deductibles, what difference do those mean?

Get a better job (LOL, that's how the right wingers argue against the minimum wage). The fact is, the PPACA (Obamare) subsidizes the cost for health care.
Only if you're a deadbeat. It sure as hell didn't subsidize mine.
sure it didn't.

Forum List

Back