GOP: we need the courage to let poor people 'wither and die'

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
Indiana GOP candidate: ‘No one has the guts’ to let poor people ‘wither and die’

“I was not trying to hurt anybody’s feelings,” Johnston said. “I saw the opportunity to say something. I think a lot of the poor have no way out, and there’s no motivation to improve your position. It’s like training a child, either you enable them or force them out at some point.”

The candidate made the comments in a discussion thread on the Mad Mac page, which covers local politics.

“For almost three generations people, in some cases, have been given handouts,” Johnston said during the discussion. “They have been ‘enabled’ so much that their paradigm in life is simply being given the stuff of life, however meager.”

“What you see is a setting for a life of misery is life to them never-the-less,” he continued. “No one has the guts to just let them wither and die. No one who wants votes is willing to call a spade a spade. As long as the Dems can get their votes the enabling will continue. The Republicans need their votes and dare not cut the fiscal tether. It is really a political Catch-22.”

Did they learn nothing from 'legitimate rape' guy?

These sound bytes are killers--especially since the base ain't rich.

Indiana GOP candidate: ‘No one has the guts’ to let poor people ‘wither and die’

“I was not trying to hurt anybody’s feelings,” Johnston said. “I saw the opportunity to say something. I think a lot of the poor have no way out, and there’s no motivation to improve your position. It’s like training a child, either you enable them or force them out at some point.”

The candidate made the comments in a discussion thread on the Mad Mac page, which covers local politics.

“For almost three generations people, in some cases, have been given handouts,” Johnston said during the discussion. “They have been ‘enabled’ so much that their paradigm in life is simply being given the stuff of life, however meager.”

“What you see is a setting for a life of misery is life to them never-the-less,” he continued. “No one has the guts to just let them wither and die. No one who wants votes is willing to call a spade a spade. As long as the Dems can get their votes the enabling will continue. The Republicans need their votes and dare not cut the fiscal tether. It is really a political Catch-22.”

Did they learn nothing from 'legitimate rape' guy?

These sound bytes are killers--especially since the base ain't rich.

He's just saying what I suspect the majority of Republicans believe and have been saying for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
LBJ and decades of incompetent crooked democrat administrations wasted tens of billions in the "war on poverty" and poverty increased but the federal dollars keep rolling on to fund failed and redundant and outright criminal use of taxpayer dollars but the radical left keeps blaming republicans. It's another definition of insanity.

It was rather tactless, but in it lies a certain truth. You shouldn't shield people from their failures. Doing that leads to a false sense of entitlement. Those who have never tasted failure should be made to. Life isn't a bed of roses. What we lack the courage to do, is let poor people find a way for themselves; instead of letting the government lead them by the hand down an endless road, with no clear destination in sight.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with pointing out that democrats have a vested financial interest in keeping poor people poor but don't have the guts to come out and say the poor should just wither and die.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out that democrats have a vested financial interest in keeping poor people poor but don't have the guts to come out and say the poor should just wither and die.
I know you don't believe so but we actually need them alive to vote. Dead ******* just keep dropping the pencils. It's quite annoying and we're workin' on a timetable here.

At least he isn't encouraging them to murder the poor through abortion and drug use.

omg, rawstory and democratundergound has their panties all bunched up again over what one person said, so of course it's attributed to the whole Republican party

I can't believe we have democratunderground on here...don't think if you're a conservative/republican they will let you join so don't bother clicking their links and giving them the support

omg, rawstory and democratundergound has their panties all bunched up again over what one person said, so of course it's attributed to the whole Republican party
The idiot obviously thinks it will resonate with the GOP electorate?

It was rather tactless, but in it lies a certain truth. You shouldn't shield people from their failures. Doing that leads to a false sense of entitlement. Those who have never tasted failure should be made to. Life isn't a bed of roses. What we lack the courage to do, is let poor people find a way for themselves; instead of letting the government lead them by the hand down an endless road, with no clear destination in sight.

Seriously? How ironic. :rolleyes:

Throughout the history of humankind there have always been poor people: there always have been people who are poor, and there always will be, just like so many other things that are part of the human condition. You cannot eliminate poor people, but you can deal with it in humane ways. I don't know how many on this board have been to third world countries, but it seems to me that is what the GOP wants to do, turn this country into a third world country that is dominated by a religious theocracy and where the rich are at the top and the poor at the bottom, left to fend for themselves, with little or no human services to help them. These are pictures of what it is like for the poor in that type of country. If the GOP and the far right conservatives had their way, this is what our country would look like. People are always complaining about the poor. That has been true for thousands of years. It is nothing new. You are not going to eliminate poverty, ever, not any more than you are going to eliminate wars and other problems we have seen throughout the history of our species. It isn't going away; so, you need to help people who are in poverty...unless, of course, you want the US to be like the countries pictured below:

article-0-1E7E177100000578-538_964x653.jpg

4slum.jpg

villa-31.jpghttp:

villa-31.jpg

Last edited:
To get a better grasp of the controversy on welfare, one would have to grapple with their own psyche.There is a dichotomy here that poses two options: Christian altruism or mammon. In the minds of some, Christianity has won out over material greed and selfishness.
That collective Christian mindset provided the impetus for Aid to Families with Children, MEDICAID,and unemployment compensation.

OTOH, some who call themselves traditionalists or "conservatives" have chosen to reject those Christian principles of helping the poor. Instead they serve mammon: an idol god of materialism or wealth. How conservatives can call themselves Christian is beyond me.

Have you forgotten the Great Depression out of which Franklin D. Roosevelt forged government assistance for the poor, especially children? Perhaps you have. But if you do remember, nothing about it will quell your criticism and claims of unending dependency. I must go further...

Have you forgotten the Personal Responsibility and the Work Opportunity and Reconciliation Act signed in 1996 by Bill Clinton? Here is the antidote that is needed to address the poison you blasted Right Wingers are spewing about "unending dependency."
The PRWORA was promulgated and executed for the express purpose of getting people back to work. It was a success. But,while many found low paying jobs, their incomes never rose above the poverty line. To live and take care of their families or just themselves, millions of workers still have to rely on government assistance. Most vulnerable are the elderly and the very young. You can't ask them to work two or more jobs to make ends meet. They need help!

Forum List

Back