GOP: we need the courage to let poor people 'wither and die'

We have had a war on poverty for 50 plus years and spent an estimated 16 trillion on it during that time yet the poverty rate has shown no major decline during that time this seems far more important than a facebook comment.

Yanno..................Jesus said in the Bible that the poor will always be with us.

There's also something in the Bible about the "omer" which is around 10 percent of your crop that the poor can harvest (as long as they eat it on the property).

Me? If I see someone who looks like they could use a buck, if I happen to be flush that day (I only get around 18,400/year), I'm willing to give them a 5 spot.

Why can't the rest of the human race decide to help out their fellow human?

I'm pretty sure that many of you have been helped along the way, why can't you help others?

poor people had it better when Republicans ran things

the very richest and ONLY the very richest have gotten ahead under obama and Progressive majority rule

under obama and dems; the rich are getting richer FASTER than they were under republicans and bush

and under obama the poor are getting POORER FASTER than they were under Republicans

libs are losers who lie to themselves
Most poor people in the US live like kings compared to the poor in the rest of the world; if you're overweight, have a cell phone and cable TV, you aren't poor.

Republican policy: Poor people do not suffer enough

Yanno..................Jesus said in the Bible that the poor will always be with us.
There's also something in the Bible about the "omer" which is around 10 percent of your crop that the poor can harvest (as long as they eat it on the property).
Me? If I see someone who looks like they could use a buck, if I happen to be flush that day (I only get around 18,400/year), I'm willing to give them a 5 spot.
I'm pretty sure that many of you have been helped along the way, why can't you help others?
What does believing in charity, Christian or otherwise, have to do with forcing others to go along with that belief?

What does believing in charity, Christian or otherwise, have to do with forcing others to go along with that belief?

Actually, not really forcing you to believe as I do.

I'm just asking the party of "family values" as well as the conservatives who think the Bible should rule all, why can't they follow the words of Jesus, and why can't they follow the 10 Commandments?

Just asking..............................

you idiot

options?

are you so stupid; or to put it another way; think the people you claim to want to protect are so stupid that they wouldn't be more careful about getting pregnant if they they knew there wasn't an automatic welfare check for them regardless?

Again you don't answer the question

The woman is already pregnant. What do conservatives want her to do?
She has a short window to make her decision

Do you want her to abort or are you willing to help her with the child?
Bingo, you've hit the Right's dilemma, and they can't or won't answer.

I'm just asking the party of "family values" as well as the conservatives who think the Bible should rule all, why can't they follow the words of Jesus, and why can't they follow the 10 Commandments?
Your question is based on a flawed premise, as opposing state mandated "charity" does not run against Christian values, where charity can only come from free will.
That is, forcing others to give to the poor is the -opposite- of Christan teachings.

you idiot

options?

are you so stupid; or to put it another way; think the people you claim to want to protect are so stupid that they wouldn't be more careful about getting pregnant if they they knew there wasn't an automatic welfare check for them regardless?

Again you don't answer the question

The woman is already pregnant. What do conservatives want her to do?
She has a short window to make her decision

Do you want her to abort or are you willing to help her with the child?
Bingo, you've hit the Right's dilemma, and they can't or won't answer.
Except that RW, in his usual infinite, mindless, bigoted, partisan ignorance, presents a false dichotomy.

When the government lets all the zombie Wall Street firms wither and die, then I will take all this bullshit rhetoric about the poor being our bigger problem seriously.

When the government takes away the annual $1.2 trillion in credits, deductions, and exemptions away so we can lower everyone's tax rates and pay down the debt, then I will start believing it is the poor who are the problem.

Last edited:
Your question is based on a flawed premise, as opposing state mandated "charity" does not run against Christian values, where charity can only come from free will.
That is, forcing others to give to the poor is the -opposite- of Christan teachings.

You don't give to the poor

You pay taxes and your voluntarily elected representatives decide how those taxes will be spent. I don't see many true Christians supporting an end to welfare

Interesting..................I was just asking, but yet you decided (from your own warped view) that I was saying that you should be forced into charity.

Nope.............sorry...................just told you that the poor would always be with us (and hinted that we should take care of them).

Your premise however is to let them fend for themselves and die.

Glad you got yours, why are you against others getting theirs as well?

Interesting..................I was just asking, but yet you decided (from your own warped view) that I was saying that you should be forced into charity.

Nope.............sorry...................just told you that the poor would always be with us (and hinted that we should take care of them).
OK... we should take care of them.
Now what?

Indiana GOP candidate: ‘No one has the guts’ to let poor people ‘wither and die’

“I was not trying to hurt anybody’s feelings,” Johnston said. “I saw the opportunity to say something. I think a lot of the poor have no way out, and there’s no motivation to improve your position. It’s like training a child, either you enable them or force them out at some point.”

The candidate made the comments in a discussion thread on the Mad Mac page, which covers local politics.

“For almost three generations people, in some cases, have been given handouts,” Johnston said during the discussion. “They have been ‘enabled’ so much that their paradigm in life is simply being given the stuff of life, however meager.”

“What you see is a setting for a life of misery is life to them never-the-less,” he continued. “No one has the guts to just let them wither and die. No one who wants votes is willing to call a spade a spade. As long as the Dems can get their votes the enabling will continue. The Republicans need their votes and dare not cut the fiscal tether. It is really a political Catch-22.”

Did they learn nothing from 'legitimate rape' guy?

These sound bytes are killers--especially since the base ain't rich.

He's just saying what I suspect the majority of Republicans believe and have been saying for a while.

"Bauer made the comment as part of an argument that people should lose government benefits if they fail drug tests or don't attend parent-teacher conferences or Parent-Teacher Association meetings.[12]

"The Associated Press reported that Bauer was a child of divorce who benefited from free lunches himself.[13]"

André Bauer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back