🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Gore Refuses to take The Pledge

If they were really committed, they'd take public transit, walk, or bike.

I disagree. It is perfectly reasonable to wish to be a good steward of the planet. I can respect Greenies who practice what they preach, such as Ed Begley Jr. The ones I cannot abide are the ones who lecture the rest of his while consuming orders of magnitude more energy than the people whose lives they wish to inconvenience.

I disagree. It is perfectly reasonable to wish to be a good steward of the planet. I can respect Greenies who practice what they preach, such as Ed Begley Jr. The ones I cannot abide are the ones who lecture the rest of his while consuming orders of magnitude more energy than the people whose lives they wish to inconvenience.

There are very few who walk the walk

The point is, global warming (or whatever they call it now) is not a major problem - or even a minor one

I never realized facts can push you over the deep end so badly

you are sadly confused, RSR.... you don't push me anywhere. I try over and over again to engage you in intellectual discussion and you absolutely refuse.

Oh... and if you refuse to use your own words to communitate with me and insist on cutting and pasting links to articles that state YOUR version of the facts, here are some more facts for you:

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...t/20070421184009990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Cold snap breaks region's record lows
STEVE LYTTLE
[email protected]

Sunday, April 8, 2007, in Cleveland. Mariners' Carlos Garcia is at upper left. For the second day in a row, snow and cold weather forced a doubleheader between the Mariners and Indians to be postponed.
Region dodges deep freeze overnight
A historic cold weather outbreak shattered records this morning in Charlotte and elsewhere in the Carolinas, producing bone-chilling conditions for Easter sunrise services.

Forecasters say a slow warming trend will begin today, but we face one more night of freezing weather.

The polar air outbreak that began Thursday reached the bottom this morning, when temperatures dropped to 21 degrees at 7 a.m. at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport.

That not only broke the low-temperature record for the date, but it was the coldest for any April day in Charlotte history.

Previously, the coldest temperature ever recorded in the month of April was 24 degrees, on April 1, 1923.

The coldest temperature previously on April 8 was 30 degrees, back in 1961.

At the Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, this morning’s unofficial low of 24 degrees also was the coldest ever in April – breaking the mark of 25 degrees set on April 20, 1983.

Charlotte’s unofficial low temperature reading this morning was among the coldest in the area. Albemarle had a low of 18 degrees, but most other nearby reporting stations – including Monroe, Rock Hill and Gastonia – had lows in the middle 20s. This morning’s cold temperatures in the Carolinas are merely a part of the story.

Sleet fell Saturday afternoon in parts of Texas, including the Dallas and Austin metropolitan areas. It was the first time in 70 years that frozen precipitation fell in April in those areas.

Up to 10 inches of snow accumulated in parts of North Carolina’s mountains, including a 1.5-inch snowfall Saturday morning in Asheville – the first recorded April snowfall in that city in 20 years.

To the north, along the southeast shores of Lakes Erie and Ontario, it’s a winter wonderland.

Suburbs to the southeast of Cleveland have reported a foot of snow, and the snow belt areas of Lake, Geauga and Ashtabula counties could get another 6 to 12 inches today. Heavy snow also is falling southwest of Buffalo and near Watertown, N.Y.

The Cleveland Indians’ home opener, postponed Friday due to snow, was snowed-out again Saturday. The Indians hope to be able to play the Seattle Mariners in a doubleheader again today, but snow was falling this morning in Cleveland.

The cold air gradually is relenting, allowing for more seasonal conditions to re-assert themselves.

Forecasters expect temperatures to reach the middle 50s today, with lows tonight in Charlotte tumbling back into the middle 20s.

Highs on Monday are forecast in the upper 50s, and temperatures in the 60s finally will return Tuesday.

Conditions more like mid-April are forecast for the rest of the week.

http://www.charlotte.com/115/story/78479.html

and again...if the energy they consume is GREEN, it has no effect on the environment. Why do you guys refuse to even try to comprehend that fact?

In my own life, I use green power solely for my electricity needs, I set the thermostat extremely low in the winter and use no air conditioning in the summer...I car pool and I recycle damned near everything.

and again...if the energy they consume is GREEN, it has no effect on the environment. Why do you guys refuse to even try to comprehend that fact?

In my own life, I use green power solely for my electricity needs, I set the thermostat extremely low in the winter and use no air conditioning in the summer...I car pool and I recycle damned near everything.

Congrats you win a cookie

RSR.... are you aware that even though certain areas of the northern hemisphere might indeed be colder than normal this month, that 2006 was - planet wide - the warmest year on record?

RSR.... are you aware that even though certain areas of the northern hemisphere might indeed be colder than normal this month, that 2006 was - planet wide - the warmest year on record?

and when it is 106 in DC you can rant how it is gloal warming

Don't woory MM - there is plenty of time to bellow how Uncle Al is right about global warming, global cooling, or climate change - or whatever the hell you people are calling it

Please pick one name and stick with it

Stanford Atmospheric Chemist: Ethanol Blends Worse Polluters Than Normal Gasoline
Posted by Noel Sheppard on April 23, 2007 - 00:01.
Did you hear about that report released last week from a Stanford University atmospheric chemist demonstrating that the tailpipe emissions from cars using E85 ethanol are actually more dangerous than those using normal gasoline? You didn’t?

Hmmm. What a shock.

Anyway, Environmental Science & Technology reported Wednesday (emphasis added throughout, h/t NB member Dahlia Travers):

When Mark Jacobson heard a venture capitalist tout ethanol fuel as a solution to air pollution last year, he was surprised—and intrigued. Jacobson, an atmospheric chemist at Stanford University, knew that air quality got worse during Brazil's big ethanol push in the 1970s and that the reason was still unclear.

You don’t hear a lot about Brazil’s pollution woes, do you? Well, Jacobson’s instincts were quite strong:

Jacobson decided to use his sophisticated air-pollution model to put ethanol to the test. Would switching the U.S. fleet to white lightning make the country breathe easier?

His results, published today on ES&T's Research ASAP website (DOI: 10.1021/es062085v), show that ethanol is no silver bullet for health. Switching to E85 blends (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) could result in slightly higher ozone-related mortality, hospitalization, and asthma (9% higher in Los Angeles and 4% higher in the U.S. as a whole), the study finds. Cancer rates would be similar for gasoline and E85.

Starting to make sense why you didn’t hear much about this? The article continued:

“It's true that ethanol does decrease some pollutants, but it also increases some others," Jacobson says. Compared with gasoline, ethanol tends to produce less benzene and butadiene, but more acetaldehyde and formaldehyde, when burned.

The result: more ozone and about 185 more deaths per year across the U.S., with 125 of those in Los Angeles. Jacobson studied that city in depth because of its ongoing smog problem and found that it has the right atmospheric chemistry to make the ethanol switch particularly problematic.

Shocking. But there was more:

Previous studies have estimated the pollution and health effects of burning ethanol, but Jacobson says those researchers simply scaled up tailpipe emissions and plugged those numbers into outdated formulas to calculate ozone changes and cancer rates. His atmospheric model, called GATOR-GCMOM, accounted for the transport of tailpipe emissions across the U.S. along with chemical transformations in the atmosphere—key components that had been neglected in previous studies.

Think about that last paragraph the next time you hear a global warming alarmist talk about a scientific consensus:

The findings suggest that ethanol cannot be promoted simply as a boon to public health, Jacobson adds. Other factors need to be studied and weighed before ethanol use is made widespread, he says, such as greenhouse-gas emissions, U.S. dependence on foreign oil, and the environmental impacts of growing plants for ethanol.

And, consider the article’s conclusion as well:

But rushing ahead to fix one problem can create another, cautions Hadi Dowlatabadi of the University of British Columbia (Canada). In a previous ES&T study, he found that a U.K. policy designed to reduce carbon emissions created air-quality problems by encouraging particulate-spewing diesel vehicles. He praised the new paper for "trying to point out an issue ahead of time".

Maybe all the global warming alarmists should pay heed, dontcha think?

http://newsbusters.org/node/12228

Sorry facts are causing you problems

look....one last try here.... don't you KNOW that I could bombard you with cut and paste articles for weeks on end that come from a host of respected scientific journals that show FACTS that support the theory that human activity is hastening global warming? You can post cut and paste articles which debunk those theories... we could spend our lives scouring the web searching for articles to bombard one another with.....

or...we could carry on a discussion with our own words. that is what I chose to do...if you don't chose to do that, OK... I understand... please also show me a little understanding and accept the fact that I have no desire to read stuff written by other people that you post here.... I really only want to read the words of the people who post here and not a panoply of editorial writers that you can find.

Do you want to have a conversation or not? your call.

Forum List

Back