Gorsuch To The Rescue!

He destroys the entire Liberal argument.....the antithesis of Adam's observation:
'Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.'
John Adams

And just what exactly was the sentence before that Adam's quote? Do you know where the quote came from? Do you know what context? Do you even know what he meant?

Why?

He destroys the entire Liberal argument.....the antithesis of Adam's observation:

Hence, Neil Gorsuch is the right choice to re-position America where the Founders intended.

Just as I thought. You don't know when it was written, why it was written, to whom it was written, or even what the hell it means. You take one quote, from one letter, and want to proclaim that the United States was founded as a Christian nation. In fact, the statement could just as easily be construed to mean a "Muslim" nation, or a "Wiccan" nation.

Here is the letter,

Message from John Adams to the Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massacusetts

Before your quote,

But should the people of America once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the language of justice and moderation while it is practising iniquity and extravagance, and displays I have received from Major-General Hull and Brigadier, General Walker your unanimous address from Lexington, animated with a martial spirit, and expressed with a military dignity becoming your character and the memorable plains on which it was adopted. in the most captivating manner the charming pictures of candor, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country will be the most miserable habitation in the Nvorld; because we have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, • would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

"assumes the language of justice and moderation while it is practicing inequity and extravagance"

Sound like today? I think so. See, it is not that our government was founded on religious principles. Adams is saying that our government can only work in a society that is "bridled by morality and religion". Without it, "avarice, ambition, revenge, and gallantry" will destroy this nation. It seems to me that the quote, when taken as a whole and in context, is a rousing condemnation of the Trump presidency and a clear warning as to what will be the destruction of this "grand experiment".

John Adams

And just what exactly was the sentence before that Adam's quote? Do you know where the quote came from? Do you know what context? Do you even know what he meant?

Why?

Hence, Neil Gorsuch is the right choice to re-position America where the Founders intended.

Just as I thought. You don't know when it was written, why it was written, to whom it was written, or even what the hell it means. You take one quote, from one letter, and want to proclaim that the United States was founded as a Christian nation. In fact, the statement could just as easily be construed to mean a "Muslim" nation, or a "Wiccan" nation.

Here is the letter,

Message from John Adams to the Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massacusetts

Before your quote,

But should the people of America once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the language of justice and moderation while it is practising iniquity and extravagance, and displays I have received from Major-General Hull and Brigadier, General Walker your unanimous address from Lexington, animated with a martial spirit, and expressed with a military dignity becoming your character and the memorable plains on which it was adopted. in the most captivating manner the charming pictures of candor, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country will be the most miserable habitation in the Nvorld; because we have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, • would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

"assumes the language of justice and moderation while it is practicing inequity and extravagance"

Sound like today? I think so. See, it is not that our government was founded on religious principles. Adams is saying that our government can only work in a society that is "bridled by morality and religion". Without it, "avarice, ambition, revenge, and gallantry" will destroy this nation. It seems to me that the quote, when taken as a whole and in context, is a rousing condemnation of the Trump presidency and a clear warning as to what will be the destruction of this "grand experiment".

1. You begin "Just as I thought."
Unfortunately, there appears to be no basis for you using the term 'thought."

2. The quote was appropriate for the thread to which you voluntarily subscribed.
Hence, when you attempted to change the subject from Judge Gorsuch and the religious heritage of America, I responded:

"Why?

If you'd like to apologize and explain that some mental glitch, or disability, prevented you from understanding what you were responding to....well,then, my statement above applies:
" You begin "Just as I thought."

4. If you intended to change the subject of the thread, notice how deftly I cut you off at the knees.

5. And, BTW..."and want to proclaim that the United States was founded as a Christian nation."
It was.

John Adams

Why?

Here is the letter,

Before your quote,

2. The quote was appropriate for the thread to which you voluntarily subscribed.
Hence, when you attempted to change the subject from Judge Gorsuch and the religious heritage of America, I responded:

"Why?

If you'd like to apologize and explain that some mental glitch, or disability, prevented you from understanding what you were responding to....well,then, my statement above applies:

4. If you intended to change the subject of the thread, notice how deftly I cut you off at the knees.

5. And, BTW..."and want to proclaim that the United States was founded as a Christian nation."
It was.

1. You produced the Adams quote. I asked you if you knew to whom it was written, when it was written, and why it was written. The "Just as I thought" was in reference to the fact that you did not answer the question, confirming my suspicion that you were blindly quoting some one liner without understanding the context in which it was written.

2. Yes, I entered the thread because
A. There is no "religious" heritage to this nation. The claim that there is ignores history. People came seeking religious freedom, and yes, some of them wanted to establish a theocracy. But they were "defeated", if there is any aspect to religion this nation was founded upon, it was religious freedom.

Yes, John Adams was religious. It would not be surprising to find him mentioning religion in one of his letters. But, he was the exception and not the rule. The vast majority of the founders were Diests. There were 56 delegates to the first Continental Congress, one was a preacher. John Witherspoon, and he was not present for the Second Continental Congress.

If anything, the American Revolution was as much a backlash against the First Great Awakening as it was a revolt against England. Besides, was not the Church of England a part of the divide between England and the Colonies. Quite honestly, "Independence" and "Religion" have never really gone hand and hand.

B. Your quote, when taken in context of the time it was written, does not support your contention, that America was founded a religious country. In fact, it merely proclaims that the American form of government cannot withstand an immoral people. Well hello howdy.

3. I figure I understand the topic at hand far more clearly than you. For example, I immediately knew where the quote came from, hence my entry into the thread. You demonstrated you were clueless.

4. Within the context of the thread I can tell you that Gorsuch is not the "rescue", but the exact opposite. He is a dangerous part of the "immoral" problem that Adams was alluding to. Avarice, ambition, revenge, gallantry---the hallmarks of the Trump administration, and straight from YOUR quote. Gorsuch defends those hallmarks and is therefore a threat to the Republic, not it's savior.

5. No, America was not founded a Christian nation. The fact that you want to "proclaim" that only confirms your ignorance of history. Here, I give you one guess as to who wrote this,

Article II. It is the right as well as the duty of all men in society, publicly and at stated seasons, to worship the Supreme Being, the great Creator and Preserver of the universe. And no subject shall be hurt, molested, or restrained, in his person, liberty, or estate, for worshipping God in the manner and season most agreeable to the dictates of his own conscience, or for his religious profession or sentiments, provided he doth not disturb the public peace or obstruct others in their religious worship.

John Adams

Why?

Here is the letter,

Before your quote,

"Why?

It was.

1. You produced the Adams quote. I asked you if you knew to whom it was written, when it was written, and why it was written. The "Just as I thought" was in reference to the fact that you did not answer the question, confirming my suspicion that you were blindly quoting some one liner without understanding the context in which it was written.

A. There is no "religious" heritage to this nation. The claim that there is ignores history. People came seeking religious freedom, and yes, some of them wanted to establish a theocracy. But they were "defeated", if there is any aspect to religion this nation was founded upon, it was religious freedom.

Yes, John Adams was religious. It would not be surprising to find him mentioning religion in one of his letters. But, he was the exception and not the rule. The vast majority of the founders were Diests. There were 56 delegates to the first Continental Congress, one was a preacher. John Witherspoon, and he was not present for the Second Continental Congress.

If anything, the American Revolution was as much a backlash against the First Great Awakening as it was a revolt against England. Besides, was not the Church of England a part of the divide between England and the Colonies. Quite honestly, "Independence" and "Religion" have never really gone hand and hand.

B. Your quote, when taken in context of the time it was written, does not support your contention, that America was founded a religious country. In fact, it merely proclaims that the American form of government cannot withstand an immoral people. Well hello howdy.

3. I figure I understand the topic at hand far more clearly than you. For example, I immediately knew where the quote came from, hence my entry into the thread. You demonstrated you were clueless.

4. Within the context of the thread I can tell you that Gorsuch is not the "rescue", but the exact opposite. He is a dangerous part of the "immoral" problem that Adams was alluding to. Avarice, ambition, revenge, gallantry---the hallmarks of the Trump administration, and straight from YOUR quote. Gorsuch defends those hallmarks and is therefore a threat to the Republic, not it's savior.

5. No, America was not founded a Christian nation. The fact that you want to "proclaim" that only confirms your ignorance of history. Here, I give you one guess as to who wrote this,

Article II. It is the right as well as the duty of all men in society, publicly and at stated seasons, to worship the Supreme Being, the great Creator and Preserver of the universe. And no subject shall be hurt, molested, or restrained, in his person, liberty, or estate, for worshipping God in the manner and season most agreeable to the dictates of his own conscience, or for his religious profession or sentiments, provided he doth not disturb the public peace or obstruct others in their religious worship.

" Yes, I entered the thread because
A. There is no "religious" heritage to this nation.

1. First, you have verified that you are a government school grad....i.e., you have no real education.

2. The reason our revolution was so different from the violent, homicidal chaos of the French version was the dominant American culture was Anglo-Saxon and Christian. “52 of the 56 signers of the declaration and 50 to 52 of the 55 signers of the Constitution were orthodox Trinitarian Christians.” David Limbaugh
Believers in the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, or, as they would be known today, “an extremist Fundementalist hate group.”
Coulter

a. "The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were... the general principles of Christianity. ...I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God." - Letter to Thomas Jefferson, June 28, 1813
John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, June 28th, 1813, from Quincy. The Adams-Jefferson Letters: The
Complete Correspondence Between Thomas Jefferson and Abigail and John Adams, edited by Lester J. Cappon,
1988, the University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC, pp. 338-340.

3. "The vast majority of the founders were Diests."
False.
Now....pay attention to real education:

Liberals, Progressives, Democrats claiming that America is not based on a Judeo-Christian foundation, and that our Founder were otherwise than steeped in those same orthodox and traditional views.
Let's shine the light of truth on the this despicable fiction.

The truth about American's founders is..."all of whom, even if some did not individually adhere to orthodox Christianity, were steeped in the Judeo-Christian tradition.

Here’s what we can say for certain about their religious beliefs.

a) All of the Founders believed in a transcendent God, that is, a Creator who exists outside of nature.
b) All the Founders believed in a God who imposes moral obligations on human beings
c) All the Founders believed in a God who punishes bad behavior and rewards good behavior in an afterlife."

As the dupes of the Left throw around terms to make their case, let's see what "Deist" actually means.

As there is far, far too much evidence for the Judeo-Christian basis of our nation, those on the Left....desiring to adhere to Marx's doctrines....attempt to call the Founders 'deists' to attempt to pry them from being called 'religious.'

de•ism
noun
belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. The term is used chiefly of an intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that accepted the existence of a creator on the basis of reason but rejected belief in a supernatural deity who interacts with humankind. Google

"The notion that any of the Founders believed in an impersonal deity who merely created the universe and then left it to itself is false. All of them believed in a God who, as Franklin said at the Constitutional Convention, “governs in the affairs of men.”

Don't make me embarrass you again.

Last edited:
It has been an uphill battle fighting racists, bigots and communists, all of whom want to remove the rock, the foundation on which America was built.
Religion
Finally, thanks to President Trump's pick for the Supreme Court, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

1. Well-known bigot, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, made his first pick for the Supreme Court of the United States, a slaver and KKK official named Hugo Black.
Black's most infamous utterance was the pretense that Thomas Jefferson has demanded a 'wall of separation between church and state.'

There never was any such demand.

What Jefferson has promised an apprehensive Baptist community....one that suffered at the hands of larger religious groups, that no national church would be established. His 'wall' was meant to reassure the Baptists of Danbury that the federal government would not interfere with their worship.
Never did Thomas Jefferson wish to keep religion out of the American public arena.
Never.

At no time was there the intention to restrict freedom of worship, of religion, of conscience in America.

a. Hence, the first amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

2. From Roosevelt to the present, the Democrats have been opposed to religion, morality, and any Judeo-Christian influence and tradition.

a. FDR put Hugo Black on the Supreme Court

b. Under Democrat/Liberal LBJ, the law was passed that deprived pastors of their right of free speech.
What possible compelling government interest could this represent????

c. Obama critique of Americans: 'They cling to guns or religion'
There is only one 'religion' that Barack Hussein Obama has stood up for, shielded from criticism, defended and advanced....and was not our founding belief.

3. What we need is a strong conservative jurist on the Supreme Court who will re-institute the Founders view of religion and morality, and place same in its original position in this nation.

Neil Gorsuch to the rescue!
Coming right up....

rescue what, cut and paste queen?

it's amazing to see how rightwingnuts are only happy when they hurt other people.

It has been an uphill battle fighting racists, bigots and communists, all of whom want to remove the rock, the foundation on which America was built.
Religion
Finally, thanks to President Trump's pick for the Supreme Court, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

1. Well-known bigot, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, made his first pick for the Supreme Court of the United States, a slaver and KKK official named Hugo Black.
Black's most infamous utterance was the pretense that Thomas Jefferson has demanded a 'wall of separation between church and state.'

There never was any such demand.

What Jefferson has promised an apprehensive Baptist community....one that suffered at the hands of larger religious groups, that no national church would be established. His 'wall' was meant to reassure the Baptists of Danbury that the federal government would not interfere with their worship.
Never did Thomas Jefferson wish to keep religion out of the American public arena.
Never.

At no time was there the intention to restrict freedom of worship, of religion, of conscience in America.

a. Hence, the first amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

2. From Roosevelt to the present, the Democrats have been opposed to religion, morality, and any Judeo-Christian influence and tradition.

a. FDR put Hugo Black on the Supreme Court

b. Under Democrat/Liberal LBJ, the law was passed that deprived pastors of their right of free speech.
What possible compelling government interest could this represent????

c. Obama critique of Americans: 'They cling to guns or religion'
There is only one 'religion' that Barack Hussein Obama has stood up for, shielded from criticism, defended and advanced....and was not our founding belief.

3. What we need is a strong conservative jurist on the Supreme Court who will re-institute the Founders view of religion and morality, and place same in its original position in this nation.

Neil Gorsuch to the rescue!
Coming right up....

rescue what, cut and paste queen?

it's amazing to see how rightwingnuts are only happy when they hurt other people.

1. Rescue America from the grasp of atheistic Marxist Democrats.....you.

2. What is the basis for your use of 'cut and paste' as a pejorative....especially from you, who is never able to defend any point?

3. I've hurt you?
Well...let me explain that, from Thomas Hardy:

“Thou suffering thing,
Know that thy sorrow is my ecstasy,
That thy love's loss is my hate's profiting!”

It is my response to those who abjure freedom.....e.g., Liberals and Democrats.

Why?

Here is the letter,

Before your quote,

"Why?

It was.

1. First, you have verified that you are a government school grad....i.e., you have no real education.

See, you can stop right there. A government school grad? Just exactly what does that mean? I will tell you this, I learned about American History wearing white gloves and thumbing through original correspondence. Actually, my area of expertise is the First Great Awakening.

The idea, that the US government has a "Judeo-Christian" basis runs absolutely contrary to history. The Constitution was not based on the ten commandments, it was based on the Iroquois Confederacy. And yes, maybe more than 150 years prior to the DOI a group of religious zealots set out here to form a theocracy. But by the time of the DOI it was a been there, done that, kind of thing.

The shit you posted was exactly that. Shit. Limbaugh? Seriously. That almost all the founders believed in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit? Damn but that is one stupid sob. And did you watch that video? And yet you still posted it? It singled out Adams. Boy but did they do a whole bunch of reaching to conclude that he was a "Christian" in the modern sense. And speaking of Adams--you know what he said his most important jobs was? Ambassador to Great Britain, France, Holland. Defense lawyer defending the British soldiers that participated in the Boston Massacre, Vice President, President. Nope, none of them. So what was it?

Normally, well I wouldn't give a shit. But this distorted view of history is becoming dangerous. Like the whole refugee thing, illegal immigration, rather non-citizens have Constitutional rights. How many of the original settlers to this country were "refugees"? And how many "refugees" followed them? Why was this nation founded with jus soli citizenship and open borders? And just what was the basis of "taxation without representation"?

Even the whole backlash against gay rights? Hell, if it weren't for a gay dude out of Europe we would all be listening to "God Save the Queen" on Sunday night before the Superbowl. And of course there is you whole "religious nation" bullshit. Tell me, when did we adopt the motto "In God We Trust". What was the motto proclaimed by a Congressional Act in 1782? How about "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance? When did it come in to us? Recently, that is when. Just like this whole "religious nation" bullshit. It is RECENT. It is history reinvented.

Gorsuch is a good choice that won't alter radically the makeup of the court. As a good many dems already confirmed him for a seat on the federal bench it will be an obvious act of pure nonsense if they flail about in an effort to justify not confirming him here.

Good choice by trump both tactically and ideoligically.
no need for another scalia,,,,
I agree, we have a need for 5 more....

The left is sweating.

180i39.jpg

Gorsuch is a good choice that won't alter radically the makeup of the court. As a good many dems already confirmed him for a seat on the federal bench it will be an obvious act of pure nonsense if they flail about in an effort to justify not confirming him here.

Good choice by trump both tactically and ideoligically.
no need for another scalia,,,,
I agree, we have a need for 5 more....

The left is sweating.

180i39.jpg

They should get Ruthie a health club membership and make sure she is too...

Why?

Here is the letter,

Before your quote,

"Why?

It was.

See, you can stop right there. A government school grad? Just exactly what does that mean? I will tell you this, I learned about American History wearing white gloves and thumbing through original correspondence. Actually, my area of expertise is the First Great Awakening.

The idea, that the US government has a "Judeo-Christian" basis runs absolutely contrary to history. The Constitution was not based on the ten commandments, it was based on the Iroquois Confederacy. And yes, maybe more than 150 years prior to the DOI a group of religious zealots set out here to form a theocracy. But by the time of the DOI it was a been there, done that, kind of thing.

The shit you posted was exactly that. Shit. Limbaugh? Seriously. That almost all the founders believed in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit? Damn but that is one stupid sob. And did you watch that video? And yet you still posted it? It singled out Adams. Boy but did they do a whole bunch of reaching to conclude that he was a "Christian" in the modern sense. And speaking of Adams--you know what he said his most important jobs was? Ambassador to Great Britain, France, Holland. Defense lawyer defending the British soldiers that participated in the Boston Massacre, Vice President, President. Nope, none of them. So what was it?

Normally, well I wouldn't give a shit. But this distorted view of history is becoming dangerous. Like the whole refugee thing, illegal immigration, rather non-citizens have Constitutional rights. How many of the original settlers to this country were "refugees"? And how many "refugees" followed them? Why was this nation founded with jus soli citizenship and open borders? And just what was the basis of "taxation without representation"?

Even the whole backlash against gay rights? Hell, if it weren't for a gay dude out of Europe we would all be listening to "God Save the Queen" on Sunday night before the Superbowl. And of course there is you whole "religious nation" bullshit. Tell me, when did we adopt the motto "In God We Trust". What was the motto proclaimed by a Congressional Act in 1782? How about "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance? When did it come in to us? Recently, that is when. Just like this whole "religious nation" bullshit. It is RECENT. It is history reinvented.

"I learned about American History wearing white gloves and thumbing through original correspondence."

There's your problem right there!
White gloves don't have any effect on comprehension.

The nation was founded by God fearing men following the Judeo-Christian tradition.

Our memorializing document were based largely on the Bible.

They were not deists.

Time for you to go back to a real school?

All this noise. Gorsuch will be confirmed.

True.

But there is this interesting bit of drama.

1. Will the Democrats attempt a filibuster, knowing that the nuclear option hangs over their head?

2.Will the 10 Democrats, who will be up for election from states that Trump won, join them?

3.Will they hold off until another, more significant seat on the court opens up?

4. Will their attacks at the hearing be as vituperative as what they did to the brilliant Judge Bork?

5. Will there be a tontine among the three oldest Justices?

"A tontine (English pronunciation: /tɒntin/) is an investment plan for raising capital, devised in the 17th century and relatively widespread in the 18th and 19th centuries. It combines features of a group annuity and a lottery. Each subscriber pays an agreed sum into the fund, and thereafter receives an annuity. As members die, their shares devolve to the other participants, and so the value of each annuity increases. On the death of the last member, the scheme is wound up."
Tontine - Wikipedia

Here is the letter,

Before your quote,

"Why?

It was.

"I learned about American History wearing white gloves and thumbing through original correspondence."

The nation was founded by God fearing men following the Judeo-Christian tradition.

They were not deists.

You study history by reading correspondence, news articles, and literature OF THE TIME. You don't google some lameass website and then regurgitate what someone hundreds of years removed from that history has to say.

If the nation was founded by "God fearing men following the Judeo-Christian tradition, why did they choose "E pluribus unum" as our national motto?

If our founding documents were largely based on the Bible why did Congress pass an act acknowledging the contributions of the Iroquois Confederacy. Why didn't they pass one acknowledging the Bible?

Text of H.Con.Res. 331 (100th): A concurrent resolution to acknowledge the contribution of the Iroquois Confederacy of Nations ... (Passed Congress/Enrolled Bill version) - GovTrack.us

Look, if this nation was a bunch of holy rollers at it's founding why did we have a "Second Awakening" almost immediately thereafter? And honestly, that whole "In God We Trust" and "under God" stuff didn't show up until the end of the Third Awakening.

Throughout it's history the United States has seen religious enthusiasm wax and wane like the phases of the moon. But make no mistake, during the American Revolution the population of the United States religious fever was at an all time low.

"Why?

It was.

They were not deists.

You study history by reading correspondence, news articles, and literature OF THE TIME. You don't google some lameass website and then regurgitate what someone hundreds of years removed from that history has to say.

If the nation was founded by "God fearing men following the Judeo-Christian tradition, why did they choose "E pluribus unum" as our national motto?

If our founding documents were largely based on the Bible why did Congress pass an act acknowledging the contributions of the Iroquois Confederacy. Why didn't they pass one acknowledging the Bible?

Text of H.Con.Res. 331 (100th): A concurrent resolution to acknowledge the contribution of the Iroquois Confederacy of Nations ... (Passed Congress/Enrolled Bill version) - GovTrack.us

Look, if this nation was a bunch of holy rollers at it's founding why did we have a "Second Awakening" almost immediately thereafter? And honestly, that whole "In God We Trust" and "under God" stuff didn't show up until the end of the Third Awakening.

Throughout it's history the United States has seen religious enthusiasm wax and wane like the phases of the moon. But make no mistake, during the American Revolution the population of the United States religious fever was at an all time low.

I had better schooling than you did.

1. America was born of Judeo-Christian tradition.
2. Our founding documents were based on the Bible.
3. The signers were traditional Christians.
4. They were not deists.
5. As for the famous “separation of church and state,” the phrase appears in no federal document. In fact, at the time of ratification of the Constitution, ten of the thirteen colonies had some provision recognizing Christianity as either the official, or the recommended religion in their state constitutions.

a. From the 1790 Massachusetts Constitution, written by John Adams, includes: [the] good order and preservation of civil government essentially depend(s) upon piety, religion, and morality…by the institution of public worship of God and of the public instruction in piety, religion, and morality…”Massachusetts Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b. North Carolina Constitution, article 32, 1776: “That no person who shall deny the being of God, or the truth of the Protestant religion, or the divine authority of either the Old or New Testaments, or who shall hold religious principles incompatible with the freedom and safety of the State, shall b e capable of holding any office, or place of trust or profit, in the civil department, within this State.” Constitution of North Carolina, 1776

c. So, the Founders intention was to be sure that the federal government didn’t do the same, and mandate a national religion. And when Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptists in 1802, it was to reassure them the federal government could not interfere in their religious observations, i.e., there is “a wall of separation between church and state.” He wasn’t speaking of religion contaminating the government, but of the government contaminating religious observance.

Anything else you require remediation about???

They were not deists.

4. They were not deists.
5. As for the famous “separation of church and state,” the phrase appears in no federal document. In fact, at the time of ratification of the Constitution, ten of the thirteen colonies had some provision recognizing Christianity as either the official, or the recommended religion in their state constitutions.

a. From the 1790 Massachusetts Constitution, written by John Adams, includes: [the] good order and preservation of civil government essentially depend(s) upon piety, religion, and morality…by the institution of public worship of God and of the public instruction in piety, religion, and morality…”Massachusetts Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b. North Carolina Constitution, article 32, 1776: “That no person who shall deny the being of God, or the truth of the Protestant religion, or the divine authority of either the Old or New Testaments, or who shall hold religious principles incompatible with the freedom and safety of the State, shall b e capable of holding any office, or place of trust or profit, in the civil department, within this State.” Constitution of North Carolina, 1776

c. So, the Founders intention was to be sure that the federal government didn’t do the same, and mandate a national religion. And when Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptists in 1802, it was to reassure them the federal government could not interfere in their religious observations, i.e., there is “a wall of separation between church and state.” He wasn’t speaking of religion contaminating the government, but of the government contaminating religious observance.

LMAO. Nice job proving exactly what I am saying. You have used two quotes above, one from John Adams and the Massachusetts Constitution and the other the North Carolina Constitution. You claim both support your position. Yet when viewed in context they do the exact opposite.

Like Adams, hell--I have already quoted the Massachusetts Constitution and John Adams in this very thread.

Now you tell me, which "Christian" religion can I join where I can worship God in the manner and season most agreeable to ME?

And then North Carolina. Thanks for pitching right in to my wheelhouse.

So in your initial Adams post you didn't know what came before it. It didn't say that this nation was founded as a religious one. It merely stated that this Nation was structured in such a way that it could only govern a "moral people".

Now with North Carolina you post Article 32. But what about 31

That no clergyman, or preacher of the gospel, of any denomination, shall be capable of being a member of either the Senate, House of Commons, or Council of State, while he continues in the exercise of the pastoral function.

Wow, a "religious" state BANNING active ministers from holding any office.

How about Article 19

That all men have a natural and unalienable right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own consciences.

Sounds like Adams and Massachusetts don't it?

But the real kicker is Article 34. And let this be a lesson to you. Never, ever, in an argument with a lefty, bring up the North Carolina Constitution. It is among the most liberal Constitution of any state in the nation.

That there shall be no establishment of any one religious church or denomination in this State, in preference to any other; neither shall any person, on any pretence whatsoever, be compelled to attend any place of worship contrary to his own faith or judgment, nor be obliged to pay, for the purchase of any glebe, or the building of any house of worship, or for the maintenance of any minister or ministry, contrary to what he believes right, or has voluntarily and personally engaged to perform; but all persons shall be at liberty to exercise their own mode of worship:--Provided, That nothing herein contained shall be construed to exempt preachers of treasonable or seditious discourses, from legal trial and punishment

They were not deists.

4. They were not deists.

LMAO. Nice job proving exactly what I am saying. You have used two quotes above, one from John Adams and the Massachusetts Constitution and the other the North Carolina Constitution. You claim both support your position. Yet when viewed in context they do the exact opposite.

Like Adams, hell--I have already quoted the Massachusetts Constitution and John Adams in this very thread.

Now you tell me, which "Christian" religion can I join where I can worship God in the manner and season most agreeable to ME?

So in your initial Adams post you didn't know what came before it. It didn't say that this nation was founded as a religious one. It merely stated that this Nation was structured in such a way that it could only govern a "moral people".

That no clergyman, or preacher of the gospel, of any denomination, shall be capable of being a member of either the Senate, House of Commons, or Council of State, while he continues in the exercise of the pastoral function.

How about Article 19

That all men have a natural and unalienable right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own consciences.

But the real kicker is Article 34. And let this be a lesson to you. Never, ever, in an argument with a lefty, bring up the North Carolina Constitution. It is among the most liberal Constitution of any state in the nation.

That there shall be no establishment of any one religious church or denomination in this State, in preference to any other; neither shall any person, on any pretence whatsoever, be compelled to attend any place of worship contrary to his own faith or judgment, nor be obliged to pay, for the purchase of any glebe, or the building of any house of worship, or for the maintenance of any minister or ministry, contrary to what he believes right, or has voluntarily and personally engaged to perform; but all persons shall be at liberty to exercise their own mode of worship:--Provided, That nothing herein contained shall be construed to exempt preachers of treasonable or seditious discourses, from legal trial and punishment

"Now you tell me, which "Christian" religion can I join where I can worship God in the manner and season most agreeable to ME?"

Why?

The question wasn't which iteration existed....multiple ones did....the question was whether the nation was founded based on Christianity.

And...as you inadvertently admit.....it was.

Now....If you'd like me to teach you the outcome, how and why, this led to the first amendment....just ask.

They were not deists.

4. They were not deists.

How about Article 19

"Now you tell me, which "Christian" religion can I join where I can worship God in the manner and season most agreeable to ME?"

Why?

The question wasn't which iteration existed....multiple ones did....the question was whether the nation was founded based on Christianity.

And...as you inadvertently admit.....it was.

Now....If you'd like me to teach you the outcome, how and why, this led to the first amendment....just ask.

"Why?" must be your version of putting fingers in your ears and going LA LA LA.

You have nothing. You got nothing. You are a total waste of time and bandwidth.

Forum List

Back