Gov. Rick Perry is Obama's Worst Nightmare

yeah. good thinking. another governor of Texas in the White House. what could possibly be bad about that?

And here I heard that Perry wanted Texas to secede from the union! Now there's an original thought! Nothing bad has ever happened when that's been tried! I know! I learned American History from Sarah Palin.

Nosmo King put the nail in the coffin of a Perry bid. 'nuff said :cool:

I don't think the North could even muster a civilian militia today, much less fight a war.

You secede from the United States not from the North
The United States has the strongest army in the history of mankind

...that comes predominantly from the South...not the North.
Additionally, the data for 2004 and 2005 confirm the strong military tradition in the South. In each year from 2003 through 2005, approximately 38 percent of the U.S. population resided in Southern states. In 2003, 43.82 percent of military recruits listed Southern hometowns. Southern representation among recruits remained consistent with 43.49 percent in 2004 and 43.8 percent in 2005. (See Table 8.)

Only 35 percent come from the North and the rest are from the West.

So I don't think you can depend on the Army to fight for you.

You need to pick up a rifle and volunteer to fight and die yourself.

I don't think enough Northerners care enough to do that.

Life is too easy, too comfortable, too soft.

Doesn't matter...

That entire Navy belongs to the US
The entire Air Force belongs to the US
All those Army Bases and tanks belong to the US

Seceding states would be squashed. They have no military capabilities

Additionally, the data for 2004 and 2005 confirm the strong military tradition in the South. In each year from 2003 through 2005, approximately 38 percent of the U.S. population resided in Southern states. In 2003, 43.82 percent of military recruits listed Southern hometowns. Southern representation among recruits remained consistent with 43.49 percent in 2004 and 43.8 percent in 2005. (See Table 8.)

Doesn't matter...

They'd lose all the associated economic activity that are associated with federal bases/labs too.

Seceding states would be squashed. They have no military capabilities.

The premise alone is inane – a given state would have no legal standing:
Texas v. White (1869)

In a 5-to-3 decision, the Court held that Texas did indeed have the right to bring suit and that individuals such as White had no claim to the bonds in question. The Court held that individual states could not unilaterally secede from the Union and that the acts of the insurgent Texas legislature--even if ratified by a majority of Texans--were "absolutely null." Even during the period of rebellion, however, the Court found that Texas continued to be a state.

Texas v. White | The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law

Any state official or officials authorizing secession would be taken into Federal custody before any shot was fired.

Doesn't matter...

I doubt it would play out that way, but that's irrelevant.

Too complicated a scenario to play out in our hypothetical engagement.

But look at what happened last time. When South Carolina seceded.

During the crisis over Fort Sumter, Congress tried to find a compromise that might prevent war. Lawmakers proposed a new line across the country. South of the line, slavery would be permitted. North of the line, slavery would be illegal.

Many Republicans supported the proposal, even though the Republican Party opposed the spread of slavery into the western territories.

One Republican, however, rejected the idea completely. He was Abraham Lincoln, who would take office as president in March. Lincoln said there could be no compromise on extending slavery. "If there is," he said, "then all our hard work is lost. If trouble comes, it is better to let it come now than at some later time."

Today there is no moral issue like slavery for the North to hang a war on...

In fact, the South would likely have the moral issues, like abortion.

And there is no Lincoln to hold the line.

Doesn't matter...

During the crisis over Fort Sumter, Congress tried to find a compromise that might prevent war. Lawmakers proposed a new line across the country. South of the line, slavery would be permitted. North of the line, slavery would be illegal.

Many Republicans supported the proposal, even though the Republican Party opposed the spread of slavery into the western territories.

One Republican, however, rejected the idea completely. He was Abraham Lincoln, who would take office as president in March. Lincoln said there could be no compromise on extending slavery. "If there is," he said, "then all our hard work is lost. If trouble comes, it is better to let it come now than at some later time."

Doesn't matter......you are still seceding from the US. You have no legal right to do so. South was in the wrong last time and would be wrong again

Why are they going to secede this time? Because a black man is President?

Now that Newt Gingrich's top campaign staff have bailed and heading for Austin, I'm sure Obama will be reminiscing last year when Rick Perry had to hand Obama a letter about border security. Obama barely returned Perry's hand shake that day at the air port. I've never seen a President treat a Governor that way, especially in the Governor's home state. This was before the Nov. elections and Obama was still fling high.

Perry has not announced it yet, but he has said very recently he "may run".

I've been to two Rick Perry speeches. I thought both times ,"this man is going to be President one day". He is extremely Presidential without trying to be. He has kept Texas' economy the most vibrant in the USA.

The way I see it, if Gov. Perry runs, Perry wins 2012 by default and by a landslide.

Watch the Rachael Maddow show tonight, a bit more detail on the aspirations of Gov. Perry.

We can see the thought or Rick Perry getting in the race has the heathen population all nervous. The hate and insult machine is being greased up.

Rick Perry and the other Texans are the insult machine. I wish they would desert the country. We don't need them.

Doesn't matter...

Doesn't matter......you are still seceding from the US. You have no legal right to do so. South was in the wrong last time and would be wrong again

Dam...well...that was fun while it lasted. You were doing quite well.

But it stops being fun when the partisan hackery rears it's ugly head and the race card flies from the deck.

I enjoyed the hypothetical engagement.

Doesn't matter...

Funny how you libs pretend you hate violence and war, yet if a state were to peacefully secede you have no problems blowing them up. :eusa_whistle:

Doesn't matter...

Funny how you libs pretend you hate violence and war, yet if a state were to peacefully secede you have no problems blowing them up. :eusa_whistle:
Nope, Liberals believe in the Constitution. Cons pay it lip service.

Funny how you libs pretend you hate violence and war, yet if a state were to peacefully secede you have no problems blowing them up.

It is settled law that once a state enters the Union it enters to stay; indeed, it has entered into a binding contract with the other states and people of those states. A state may not seceded, ‘peacefully’ or otherwise.

And for Perry to suggest such a thing only exhibits his ignorance.

But it stops being fun when the partisan hackery rears it's ugly head and the race card flies from the deck.

Why are you so afraid to discuss race?

Do you honestly think that talk of secession has nothing to do with race? Let's look at our history.

Civil War.....states were outraged that others wanted to take away their slaves. Seceded

Civil Rights......states were outraged that others insisted they treat blacks equally threatened secession

Barack Obama.......two months after he takes office Texas threatens secession and over half of Republicans agree. You say it was about abortion? Abortion has been around 40 years.....why didn't they threaten secession when Reagan was president?

You are naive if you think race does not come into play

Funny how you libs pretend you hate violence and war, yet if a state were to peacefully secede you have no problems blowing them up.

It is settled law that once a state enters the Union it enters to stay; indeed, it has entered into a binding contract with the other states and people of those states. A state may not seceded, ‘peacefully’ or otherwise.

And for Perry to suggest such a thing only exhibits his ignorance.

Not to mention his lack of patriotism in a Governor failing to stand up for his country

[...]

Joe Biden was correct (when speaking of his then opponent, Barack Obama) in saying that the Presidency is no place for on-the-job-training. The boy has failed us!
If someone other than Biden had said that the thought might carry some weight. But Biden is a posturing fool who is well-known for talking through his ass.

If someone other than Biden had said that the thought might carry some weight. But Biden is a posturing fool who is well-known for talking through his ass.
Biden’s not even the issue – it’s that the GOP is proposing for president candidates who are just as unready and as unqualified, perhaps even more so.

Why are you so afraid to discuss race?

Do you honestly think that talk of secession has nothing to do with race? Let's look at our history.

Civil War.....states were outraged that others wanted to take away their slaves. Seceded

Civil Rights......states were outraged that others insisted they treat blacks equally threatened secession

Barack Obama.......two months after he takes office Texas threatens secession and over half of Republicans agree. You say it was about abortion? Abortion has been around 40 years.....why didn't they threaten secession when Reagan was president?

You are naive if you think race does not come into play

First off, Slaves were not for the poor guys, you know the ones who did the fighting. Second, At the time, the South was the country's bread basket at the time. Your hero Lincoln did not want the north to starve and that's why he went to war. Lincoln hated black as much as any Southern plantation owner. Now racism, To call some one a raciest is the act of a coward who does not have what it takes between there ears to get there point across. Its a bit like a kid who is losing at kick ball so he grabs his ball and go's home. So I would argue that those who cry "racist" all the time are lacking in IQ. Now back to Dick Perry, He is a stooge on a level that surpasses GW or Bam Bam. Remember the STD vaccination he mad mandatory for school girls ? Remember how it was found out he had a buddy heavily invested in the vaccine ? Remember how Dick Perry was going to make a bit of dough on that deal ? He also panders to the illegal vote as well. He has done nothing about the border other then waist tax payer money on JP-4 flying around the border with Mexico. You need to realize that Dick Perry is not so popular here. He is just more popular then the retards who he runs against. Dick Perry would be the worst thing for this country. Worse then Bam Bam, just at the opposite end of the spectrum. The man is a weasel .

Forum List

Back