Gov. Sarah Palin Exercises Common Sense Again: Says Troops Should Be Armed On Bases

I was talking about her decision to quit and not serve out her term. Was that "noble"?

Here is the oath she took:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Alaska, and that I will faithfully discharge my duties as Governor to the best of my ability."

Do you think she did that?

Interesting that you raise that point!

The circumstance were that an organized group launched a stream of frivolous lawsuits, defense against which was being paid by the state. The volume was so great that there was a serious threat to state finances.

Governor Palin resigned to end the drain. Indeed, faithfully discharging her duties in the best interests of the state.

Sadly, Alaska has no "vexatious litigant" laws (common in New England states and oddly enough, in California) which can put an end to this sort of abuse of the legal system.

Last edited:
I was talking about her decision to quit and not serve out her term. Was that "noble"?

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Alaska, and that I will faithfully discharge my duties as Governor to the best of my ability."

The circumstance were that an organized group launched a stream of frivolous lawsuits, defense against which was being paid by the state. The volume was so great that there was a serious threat to state finances.

Governor Palin resigned to end the drain. Indeed, faithfully discharging her duties in the best interests of the state.

Sadly, Alaska has no "vexatious plaintiff" laws (common in places like New England) which can put an end to this sort of abuse of the legal system.

OK, I get it. Mama Grizzly bravely backed down. Now that is the stuff that right wing heroes are made of.

Sadly, Alaska has no "vexatious plaintiff" laws (common in places like New England) which can put an end to this sort of abuse of the legal system.

OK, I get it. Mama Grizzly bravely backed down. Now that is the stuff that right wing heroes are made of.

Interesting that you favor the action of hate groups which put a state's finances at risk. Big on the KKK, too?

Somehow that explains why a gun was allowed in a gun-free zone?

No, Really?

Don't people bent on violence cower in fear at the sight of those signs?

There is a difference between areas where the signs are posted as gun free zones, and where they're posted as places where deadly force is authorized.

Just like there is a difference between the commissary and the flight line.

Like I said..................you've never been on a base, have you?

I have been on many of them, and you completely miss the point. All of the attacks on military personnel, on post, have taken place is areas where few if any soldiers are armed. By the time the MPs or rent-a-cops get there, the damage is already done. In addition, that applies to most of the base.

If soldiers and sailors can be trusted with weapons in a war zone, they can be trusted with weapons on a military base in the USA. I would recommend that E-5s through E-9s and O-2s and O-3s should wear a sidearm as part of their regular uniform, while on base and/or on duty, and while transiting between the base and their residence, if off base. All personnel assigned to guard duty should be armed with a sidearm or rifle.

Should not "Gun Free" mean free of guns?

Big guns.
Little guns.
Toy guns.
English muffin nibbled guns.
Pop tart guns.

Of course nobody would disrespect the signs!

Oh, that's right, they've respected that the signs mean "sitting ducks ahead"!

Last edited:

Interesting that you favor the action of hate groups which put a state's finances at risk. Big on the KKK, too?

No. I simply think that if someone is representing a state or the country, they have a responsibility to stand up for what is right. Why set a president like that? Someone attacks you and you back down? That isn't the way true Americans do it. It is kind of weird that you want to require me to overlook the fact that Sarah Palin was a quitter otherwise you are going to talk about the KKK. That is really a strange reaction.

And she is right again calling out a bad policy implemented by a democrat president. In Israel, ALL military are armed, off and on base..should be the same here..but of course the US has become wussified, especially under our latest putative president who is Constitutionally ineligible to hold the office. We wouldn't be having all these problems on U.S. bases if Palin was president. If she was she would revert back to the days when our military could carry sidearms on bases and defend themselves.

Sarah Palin: Allow troops to be armed on base - Lucy McCalmont - POLITICO.com

"Gov. Sarah Palin"? She resigned halfway through her term. She quit. She isn't a Governor anymore.

Blues is a fucking genius.

No. I simply think that if someone is representing a state or the country, they have a responsibility to stand up for what is right.

OK, I understand. You approve of malicious litigation but also believe that Governors have NO responsibility to keep their state's treasuries from being drained on political enemies. In fact, you would enjoy seeing them do just that.

Quite a belief system!

No. I simply think that if someone is representing a state or the country, they have a responsibility to stand up for what is right. Why set a president like that? Someone attacks you and you back down? That isn't the way true Americans do it. It is kind of weird that you want to require me to overlook the fact that Sarah Palin was a quitter otherwise you are going to talk about the KKK. That is really a strange reaction.

OK, I understand. You approve of malicious litigation but also believe that Governors have NO responsibility to keep their state's treasuries from being drained on political enemies. In fact, you would enjoy seeing them do just that.

Quite a belief system!

First you try and make a claim that I am sympathetic to the KKK and now you are saying I have a "belief system" where I would enjoy seeing the Alaska State Treasury get drained. All of this because I pointed out that she quit being governor by her own choice? It wasn't a vicious attack. I simply pointed out that she sent in a letter saying she would no longer be governor. She was elected, took the oath, and then quit before the end of her term. Everything I said is based on historical facts.

Before engaging mouth you really should do a brush up on the meaning of Question Marks (?). I asked a question; you assumed I knew the answer. I really hadn't intended to launch your guilt trip but there's no going back.

Before engaging mouth you really should do a brush up on the meaning of Question Marks (?). I asked a question; you assumed I knew the answer. I really hadn't intended to launch your guilt trip but there's no going back.

Who the fuck are you addressing?

Do you not know how to use the quote feature?

I see your point.

Since my reply to the immediately prior post was carried onto a different page it made no sense to you at all.

The little numbers at the bottom of each page allow you to move backward in the thread. Perhaps you might experiment with them under adult supervision. Just a thought.....

So if more soldiers have more guns on post, does anyone think that this might increase the number of incidents involving distraught soldiers and guns?

And she is right again calling out a bad policy implemented by a democrat president. In Israel, ALL military are armed, off and on base..should be the same here..but of course the US has become wussified, especially under our latest putative president who is Constitutionally ineligible to hold the office. We wouldn't be having all these problems on U.S. bases if Palin was president. If she was she would revert back to the days when our military could carry sidearms on bases and defend themselves.

So, clearly no shooting happened on a military base under Bush then!

Quite a belief system!

First you try and make a claim that I am sympathetic to the KKK and now you are saying I have a "belief system" where I would enjoy seeing the Alaska State Treasury get drained. All of this because I pointed out that she quit being governor by her own choice? It wasn't a vicious attack. I simply pointed out that she sent in a letter saying she would no longer be governor. She was elected, took the oath, and then quit before the end of her term. Everything I said is based on historical facts.

Who the fuck are you addressing?

Do you not know how to use the quote feature?

I see your point.

Since my reply to the immediately prior post was carried onto a different page it made no sense to you at all.

The little numbers at the bottom of each page allow you to move backward in the thread. Perhaps you might experiment with them under adult supervision. Just a thought.....

Your posts seem incoherent.

Add a Member to Your List...

HenryBHough

"Okay"

Yes.
An armed soldier goes and shoots up a place so it's a good idea to arm soldiers.
Where would MENSA be without Palin?

Yes.
An armed soldier goes and shoots up a place so it's a good idea to arm soldiers.
Where would MENSA be without Palin?

Another idea would be to stop sending US troops to invade countries and then mess it all up so many soldiers come back with trauma of some kind which makes them a bit unstable.

Whether Sarah is right or not is irrelevant to your attempt to politicize another tradgedy. I believe it has been pointed out several times the policy in question was implemented under Bush !. And I think it's obvious the policy was written by the DOD and reflects rules that the DOD and Joint Chiefs considered "best practices" to achieve an as safe as possible environment for Force Personnel on base. Do you really think any President would attempt to micro-manage what is basically military "house keeping" regulations at the level you infer? That reduces your OP to the absurd.

And your example of Israeli Army Policy needs a little clarification. "Learn something new everday" is always good advice. Maybe you could at least learn this one thing today;

"A study of the Israeli Defense Forces, which had struggled with a high number of suicides among soldiers, found that the suicide rate dropped by 40 percent after a policy change in 2006 required soldiers to leave their firearms at the base when they went home for the weekend."
LINK:Harm reduction for Israeli soldiers.

FYI

"President H.W. Bush Enacted Military Base Gun Regulations In 1992, A Year Before Clinton Took Office. As The New Republic explained, a 1992 Department of Defense directive established the rules limiting firearms on military bases to "qualified personnel," issued under former President George H.W. Bush and Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney:

[T]he impetus for the Army regulation was, in turn, Department of Defense directive 5210.56, which was issued on February 25, 1992, and was considered "effective immediately" for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. Clinton, of course, did not take office until January 20, 1993. So if we're going to blame a former president for a mass murder ... see how ridiculous this all is?

What's more, that directive--signed by Donald J. Atwood, George H. W. Bush's deputy secretary of defense--was by no means a "ban" on firearms at military installations. It explicitly authorizes DOD personnel "to carry firearms while engaged in law enforcement or security duties, protecting personnel, vital Government assets, or guarding prisoners," and simply aims to "limit and control the carrying of firearms by DoD military and civilian personnel. [The New Republic, 11/17/13]"

And just as a P.S. I along with many Conservatives don't believe Sarah Palin is knowledgable enough to offer even very few people advice on very few topics. I would suggest that would be a view held especially by the Joint Chiefs. I imagine Sarah Palin as Commander-in-Chief micro-managing the Military would cause them many fitfull nights haunted by nightmare scenarios.

P.P.S. Your OP is 100% fantasy.

You know..............as a retired military professional (spent 20 plus years in the U.S. Navy), I'm wondering how many people who think they know what is best for the military have actually BEEN in the military?

What's even more, how many have even been on a military base?

Sorry, but most of the hawks are civilians who have never served, or even been on, a military installation.

If they had, they wouldn't make such stupid statements.

Forum List

Back