Govt says walmart must pay for EBT shoppers that exceeded limit

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
This is crazy. This is all the fault of the govt, not walmart. The amount by which the shoppers exceeded their limit should be deducted from their future EBT allotments. That way nobody gets anything they don't deserve.

Food stamp shopping spree: Who pays? - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Oct 14, 2013 7:23 PM

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -
Walmart may be on the hook for the shopping spree spurred by temporarily unlimited balances on EBT cards Saturday in at least 2 stores in the ArkLaTex.

KSLA News 12 obtained video showed overflowing shopping carts, excited shoppers, and empty shelves throughout Walmarts in Springhill and Mansfield, LA. The frenzy was reportedly created by a glitch in the EBT system that allowed card users to seemingly shop without a limit. In reality, there was a limit the whole time.

The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services oversees those benefits, called SNAP, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

A spokesperson for LA DCFS tells KSLA News 12 that no EBT card is ever limitless, and that when these outages happen, the retailer has a responsibility to implement emergency procedures. Those procedures include placing a phone call and verbally approving a spending limit for the customer. Trey Williams with DCFS says some retailers chose not to do that.

I've worked in a supermarket for 32 years. I was working Saturday when the system went offline and I was the lucky person in charge of our front end. There is NO possible way we could have called in EVERY order to the state for approval when at least 4 of every 5 orders is EBT. We are issued paper vouchers for these instances but nothing on the scale on Saturday. Standard practice should be a maximum order of $50 to at least get the recipient by for a day or two until the system is back online.
But that makes too much sense and someone would sue the retailer for trying to reduce any potential loss.
Even worse, the system wouldnt even take the paper vouchers around 3:00EST. It was then we announced that we regretfully would not be able to process any EBT transactions until the system came back online.

Most of these criminal shoppers were non-white and that's why the govt won't do anything to them. None of our laws apply to non-whites. For them every day is christmas and whitey must pay for it.

I am certain the gvt will pay for their overages if they qualified as food stamp groceries, and I am pretty certain that these people that overspent, will be sent LESS the following payment in EBT funds...the gvt will get their money back and these people will have less food funds in the next month.....if they WAYYYYY overspent, then I think these people should be penalized and taken off the program where an authorized guardian can buy the food for the children in the perps family or something like that....

Last edited:
Can a business refuse to accept gubbmint "free stuff cards" entirely? If not, why not!

Of course were Walmart to do that the stores might be empty........

Can a business refuse to accept gubbmint "free stuff cards" entirely? If not, why not!

Of course were Walmart to do that the stores might be empty........

I think when we consider 'this' government the best thing to do is defund them.

Obama cannot be trusted to do the right thing anyway.

The people who went over their limit essentially robbed Walmart, and should be ashamed of themselves. Find out who they are and send them the bill.

I am certain the gvt will pay for their overages if they qualified as food stamp groceries, and I am pretty certain that these people that overspent, will be sent LESS the following payment in EBT funds....

Sure - that's how it should be but the govt isn't saying they're gonna do that so i doubt they will. Even if they say they're gonna do it, they prolly won't. These thieving deadbeats are the kind of people obozo loves.

The people who went over their limit essentially robbed Walmart, and should be ashamed of themselves. Find out who they are and send them the bill.

Yes, but (and that's a big butt) whoever made this call for Wal-Mart made a savvy move IMO. Their return business will more than make up for any losses that day.

I'd just hate to be the shlub that has to re-shelve the hundreds of pounds of product that these idiots left sitting in carts.

Let me get this right.

The government is pissed off that people with EBT cards exceeded their spending limit?

Seriously? Upset that anyone would exceed their spending limit?

:lmao:

Ralphs Grocery Store was on the ball that day. Inlaws went to get some food and were told the system was down, they were not accepting ANY EBT cards and to come back the next day..which they did.

Forum List

Back