Griner needs to be brought back home

Nah. She broke a foriegn nations laws she has to pay their price.

If people aren't punished by the law then they won't be an example to others what happens if you don't follow the rules. America may not treat criminals like criminals anymore but Russia sure as hell does.

I wish america was just as strict with it's prisoners as Russia does. If we treated criminals like criminals our crime issues would be drastically lower than they are.

That America hating twat can rot.

What is criminal or not has to be based on principles of legal justice.
Which is that all legal authority comes from the defense of the inherent rights of others.
But since drugs only effect the user and no one else, they can not then be legally punished.
There is no source of legal authority to base such punishment on.
It is a autocratic edict, which is contrary to the principles of legal justice.
It is like the Prohibition of alcohol.
Which clearly showed it was a bad idea, since it increased crime by over a factor of 10.
People naturally resent autocratic edicts, so will correctly violate such laws deliberately.
It is counter productive and only diminishes any respect one might have otherwise had for government, law, justice, etc.

That being said, we have no right to tell Russia what to do.

Among my conservative values is redemption and forgiveness.

She didnt run over the dancing gannies with an SUV. She was holding in a foreign country and she is a stupid asshole.

Anyway, thats my take.

Again, part of what makes the US great is our ability to disagree.

What is criminal or not has to be based on principles of legal justice.
Which is that all legal authority comes from the defense of the inherent rights of others.
But since drugs only effect the user and no one else, they can not then be legally punished.
There is no source of legal authority to base such punishment on.
It is a autocratic edict, which is contrary to the principles of legal justice.
It is like the Prohibition of alcohol.
Which clearly showed it was a bad idea, since it increased crime by over a factor of 10.
People naturally resent autocratic edicts, so will correctly violate such laws deliberately.
It is counter productive and only diminishes any respect one might have otherwise had for government, law, justice, etc.

That being said, we have no right to tell Russia what to do.

She broke Russian laws... now she pays Russian punishment

We can disagree in this, my conservative friends, but I would like to see her come back home.

I do not think she should serve 9 years in a gulag.

My great grandfather did. If we relish in her misery for essentially nothing. It seems ghoulish.

You are all welcome to disagree.

I see a future episode of Locked up Abroad in the making.
She isn't the first dumbass who screwed up in a foreign country. .
Zero sympathy.

Why zero sympathy?
She harmed no one, had no attempt to profit from it, and could easily have made a simple mistake anyone could have made in packing.

Forum List

Back