Gun control vs. Terrorism (Dem hypocrisy)

Slade3200

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2016
I like to call out hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle when I see it, usually on the Right but today I see it on the Left. I just watched the press conference for the recent tragedy in Manhattan. My heart goes out to the victims. During this press conference I heard De Blasio and Como speak about the resolve of New Yorkers and Americans. They emphasized the point that terrorists are trying to break our spirit and if we change our lives in any way then we are letting them win. A respectable point.

It made me think about how the "Left" typically reacts to gun violence, something we heard a lot of after Vegas, and I noticed that the messaging is quite different. After a shooting event the Left seems quick and adamant to try and change our laws to make communities safer. I've heard it communicated as a negligence of duty to not talk about gun control after a shooting. In the same spirit, why isn't there a reaction to legislate a way to keep us safer from terrorism after a terror attack by the Left? Its a rhetorical question, i know why, hence the hypocrisy. But if anybody would like to try to rationalize it then please go ahead!

Note that i'm pretty liberal and support both of these reactions. I'm fine with common sense gun control measures and I am pro immigration and religious freedom. But I have to call it like I see it when hypocrisy hits.

Last edited:
It made me think about how the "Left" typically reacts to gun violence, something we heard a lot of after Vegas, and I noticed that the messaging is quite different. After a shooting event the Left seems quick and adamant to try and change our laws to make communities safer. I've heard it communicated as a negligence of duty to not talk about gun control after a shooting. In the same spirit, why isn't there a reaction to legislate a way to keep us safer from terrorism after a terror attack by the Left? Its a rhetorical question, i know why, hence the hypocrisy. But if anybody would like to try to rationalize it then please go ahead!

Simple.

Home Depot Trucks aren't designed to kill people.

Guns are.

But I will bet you'll find out that this guy had a harder time renting a truck from the Home Depot than that other nut had building up a small arsenal.

Simple.

Guns are.

But I will bet you'll find out that this guy had a harder time renting a truck from the Home Depot than that other nut had building up a small arsenal.

That truck is a "Vehicle of War" and no civilians should be allowed to own or rent one......and Home Depot should be sent to jail....or something......

A rental truck was used to murder more people than than in any mass public shooting in the U.S....these "Vehicles of War" need to be banned....

Smart cars for everyone.

Simple.

Guns are.

Boy....you are still stupid, joe. The guy in Vegas had to go through a background check for every gun he bought...the guy with the truck....a license and some cash.....

I like to call out hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle when I see it, usually on the Right but today I see it on the Left. I just watched the press conference for the recent tragedy in Manhattan. My heart goes out to the victims. During this press conference I heard De Blasio and Como speak about the resolve of New Yorkers and Americans. They emphasized the point that terrorists are trying to break our spirit and if we change our lives in any way then we are letting them win. A respectable point.

Note that i'm pretty liberal and support both of these reactions. I'm fine with common sense gun control measures and I am pro immigration and religious freedom. But I have to call it like I see it when hypocrisy hits.

We are very similar...I support common sense gun control, I am pro legal immigration and I support religious freedom.

What gun control do you think works? For me.....my common sense gun control is essentially these two items...

1) if you commit a crime with a gun, you go to jail for 30 years.

2) if you are a convicted, violent felon, caught in possession of a gun, you go away for 30 years.

That pretty much covers everything we need to stop criminals and illegal guns......

Simple.

Guns are.

The counter to this kind of terrorism isn't stopping truck rentals, its fighting against an ideology that promotes people targeting innocent civilians and killing them in the name of God.

Simple.

Guns are.

What? Trucks aren’t designed to kill people but guns are? Absolute dumbest argument I have ever heard. As if the designers intended use of an object somehow determines weather it should be considered lethal or not. Both are deadly, and in the wrongs hands will kill people. I suppose if I design a gun intended for target practice it magically becomes unable to penetrate human flesh. If you have a point to make, try a sprinkle of logic.

We are very similar...I support common sense gun control, I am pro legal immigration and I support religious freedom.

What gun control do you think works? For me.....my common sense gun control is essentially these two items...

2) if you are a convicted, violent felon, caught in possession of a gun, you go away for 30 years.

That pretty much covers everything we need to stop criminals and illegal guns......
I think there are a few more factors involved. I don't think citizens should be able to walk into walmart and buy a fully automatic uzi, so I think limitations on available firepower make sense. I think every honest citizen should be able to get a pistol or riffle to defend themselves, but all this high power stuff, I'm fine with regulating. I'm fine with harsh punishments for gun violence offenders but it is very situational and I don't think a teenager who got caught up with the wrong crowd should go to jail till they are 50 for making a stupid mistake... Again, it all depends on the case.

That truck is a "Vehicle of War" and no civilians should be allowed to own or rent one......and Home Depot should be sent to jail....or something......

I promise you, Home Depot will probably actually get sued and end up paying a lot of money to the families... because they didn't get themselves a special carve out in the law like the gun merchants did.

What? Trucks aren’t designed to kill people but guns are? Absolute dumbest argument I have ever heard. As if the designers intended use of an object somehow determines weather it should be considered lethal or not. Both are deadly, and in the wrongs hands will kill people. I suppose if I design a gun intended for target practice it magically becomes unable to penetrate human flesh. If you have a point to make, try a sprinkle of logic.

Okay. Guns are designed to kill people. when the first gun was made, it was made to kill another person, because it was more efficient than a sword or arrow.

Trucks are designed to move heavy loads from one place to another. When the first truck was made, that's what it was designed for.

That's the difference.

This isn't complicated.

Cars/trucks are heavily regulated . You need a license to drive and insurance to own.

The nypd also has contacts wh area truck rentals to prevent just such attack’s .

Rumor is the guy got the truck in Florida .

Okay. Guns are designed to kill people. when the first gun was made, it was made to kill another person, because it was more efficient than a sword or arrow.

Trucks are designed to move heavy loads from one place to another. When the first truck was made, that's what it was designed for.

That's the difference.

This isn't complicated.

And yet a rental truck murdered more people than any of our mass shooters using one or several guns........go figure....

Boy....you are still stupid, joe. The guy in Vegas had to go through a background check for every gun he bought...the guy with the truck....a license and some cash.....

Except those background checks were insufficient.

Which is why I go back to my original idea. If a gun you sold is used to kill or wound someone, their families can take your ass to court and you can explain to 12 of your fellow citizens how he seemed to be a nice guy when he was muttering about them Lizard People while he bought a whole cart full of ammo.

Because, again, Home Depot will get sued over this and they'll probably settle out of court.

Cars/trucks are heavily regulated . You need a license to drive and insurance to own.

The nypd also has contacts wh area truck rentals to prevent just such attack’s .

Rumor is the guy got the truck in Florida .

Hey...if you want to show a state i.d. to buy a gun....no big deal.....but you need a background check to buy a gun, and you can't buy a gun if you are a felon...that includes private sales......a felon can get insurance, a license and rent a killing truck...

Except those background checks were insufficient.

Which is why I go back to my original idea. If a gun you sold is used to kill or wound someone, their families can take your ass to court and you can explain to 12 of your fellow citizens how he seemed to be a nice guy when he was muttering about them Lizard People while he bought a whole cart full of ammo.

Because, again, Home Depot will get sued over this and they'll probably settle out of court.

No...those background checks were complete.....the guy had committed no crime and passed the background check. You are just a dumb person joe.

I promise you, Home Depot will probably actually get sued and end up paying a lot of money to the families... because they didn't get themselves a special carve out in the law like the gun merchants did.
Wishful thinking again?

I think there are a few more factors involved. I don't think citizens should be able to walk into walmart and buy a fully automatic uzi, so I think limitations on available firepower make sense. I think every honest citizen should be able to get a pistol or riffle to defend themselves, but all this high power stuff, I'm fine with regulating. I'm fine with harsh punishments for gun violence offenders but it is very situational and I don't think a teenager who got caught up with the wrong crowd should go to jail till they are 50 for making a stupid mistake... Again, it all depends on the case.

What you say sounds reasonable .

The left is not out to “ban all guns “. That’s just the over the top response every time someone talks gun control.

What you say sounds reasonable .

The left is not out to “ban all guns “. That’s just the over the top response every time someone talks gun control.

Yes...they are out to ban all guns....they will take them one at a time as they get the power to do it....since nothing they say about guns is based in facts, the truth or reality, they show their real agenda.....

Simple.

Guns are.

Guns are also designed to protect, depends on whose holding them, say in the case of a cop or the secret service. Or they are used to rescue, Swat freeing hostages, or soldiers freeing prisoners, or a mom stopping an abusive father hurting kids. Trucks are designed to go from point A to B, usually with stuff, again depends on whose using it, it could just plow into a group of people on purpose or by accident. If the problem was guns, then why isn’t there mass shootings, and rampant gun violence in Switzerland where you are issued a FULL AUTO assault rifle...yet it’s one of the safest places on the planet.

A car is designed to drive upwards of 100 mph, and withstand collisions, which also makes it great for killing. A knife is designed to cut, an axe is designed to cut with a force multiplier of mass and leverage, and a sledgehammer is designed to smash, all three are great for killing. The best protection from those who wish you harm is a gun, whatever size you are. You don’t even have to fire (in a large majority of self protection cases they never are). And guns stop crime before it happens all the time.

Forum List

Back