CDZ gun magazine bullet limits...they only effect law abiding gun owners so why do we need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And again...you are wrong....

U.S. suicide rates up, especially for women - CNN.com

In both 1999 and 2014, firearms were the most common method by which men took their own lives, although the proportion of all suicides in men that were firearm-related decreased from 61.7% to 55.4%. Among women, poisoning was the most common method in 2014 and accounted for 34.1% of suicides, down from 36% in 1999.
Am I? So the number of households with firearms decreased and the number of firearm-related suicides decreased? Seems like there might be a correlation.

The percentage can decrease while the overall number of households with guns increases
For example

50% of 50 million is 25 million
30% of 125 million is 37.5 million

So even though the percentage of households with gun owners decreased the actual number of gun owners has increased

I wouldn't even grant them that fewer homes have guns........they have one biased guy saying it has dropped while others say it has stayed the same....while millions of guns have been purchased by Americans.......and fewer gun owners are willing to tell anonymous pollsters they have guns in their homes......

I agree I would never tell anyone if or even how many guns I own.
Hell a lot of my friends don't even know I own guns
It's just not something I advertise

In both 1999 and 2014, firearms were the most common method by which men took their own lives, although the proportion of all suicides in men that were firearm-related decreased from 61.7% to 55.4%. Among women, poisoning was the most common method in 2014 and accounted for 34.1% of suicides, down from 36% in 1999.
Am I? So the number of households with firearms decreased and the number of firearm-related suicides decreased? Seems like there might be a correlation.

The number of homes with guns has not decreased.......you can't go from 200 million guns in private hands to 357 million guns in private hands and have the number of homes with guns decrease..........that is just anti gun wishful thinking and lying.....,
I found several links that say you're wrong and none that say you're right.

people are not admitting to anonymous pollsters that they have guns in their homes......

And you know this how?

The myth that 200 million guns to 357,000,000 guns is only because the same people are buying more guns is just that...a myth......

And you know this how?

I have read about the gun community for years now..they are not telling people that they on guns...especially after several newspapers printed the names of gun owners after Sandy Hook......and other polls show that the General Social Survey is wrong.......considering the GSS is run by an anti gunner who states he wants his research to help push more gun control.
I get called for surveys all the time and I usually just hang up on them. Why would I waste my time telling lies, especially since if I was a gun owner I'd want the country to think guns were common, not the other way around. Doesn't pass the smell test.

The percentage can decrease while the overall number of households with guns increases
For example

So even though the percentage of households with gun owners decreased the actual number of gun owners has increased
No argument with your math but this would have no effect on murder rate statistics which are usually given per 100,000 persons.

other polls show that the General Social Survey is wrong.......
I couldn't find them, can you provide a link? The Gallup poll gave a different number but still showed a decline in the number of gun owning households. Do you know of a poll that shows the opposite?

The number of homes with guns has not decreased.......you can't go from 200 million guns in private hands to 357 million guns in private hands and have the number of homes with guns decrease..........that is just anti gun wishful thinking and lying.....,
I found several links that say you're wrong and none that say you're right.

And you are wrong...

Gun Purchases Continue to Soar

NICS checks don’t precisely indicate the number of firearms acquired in a given time frame. But the trend in checks makes clear that Americans are acquiring firearms at a record pace. The annual number of checks has risen from 12.7 million during the last year of President George W. Bush’s administration to an average of 23 million during Obama’s second term.

NICS checks don’t stop criminals from stealing guns or acquiring guns on the black market, and criminals defeat checks by having other people, who can pass checks, buy guns for them. But they continue to deliver data undermining gun control supporters’ perennial boast that gun ownership is declining. If anything, the data suggest that the opposite is true.

And of course this dramatic an increase is not the same people buying buying guns....

Gun-Homicide Rate Decreased as Gun Ownership Increased

Based on data from a 2012 Congressional Research Service (CRS) report(and additional data from another Wonkblog article “There are now more guns than people in the United States”), the number of privately owned firearms in U.S. increased from about 185 million in 1993 to 357 million in 2013.

And then there is this........

Is gun ownership really down in America? | Fox News

Surely, gun control advocates such as GSS director Tom Smith view this decline as a good thing. In a 2003 book of mine, I quoted Smith as saying that the large drop in gun ownership would “make it easier for politicians to do the right thing on guns” and pass more restrictive regulations.

Other gun control advocates have mentioned to me that they hope that if people believe fewer people own guns, that may cause others to rethink their decision to own one themselves. It is part of the reason they dramatically exaggerate the risks of having guns in the home.

The Associated Press and Time ignored other polls by Gallup and ABC News/Washington Post.

These polls show that gun ownership rates have been flat over the same period. According to Gallup, household gun ownership has ranged from 51 percent in 1994 to 34 percent in 1999. In 2014, it was at 42 percent – comparable to the 43-45 percent figures during the 1970s.

A 2011 Gallup poll with the headline “Self-Reported Gun Ownership in U.S. Is Highest Since 1993” appears to have gotten no news coverage.

The ABC News/Washington Post poll shows an even more stable pattern, with household gun ownership between 44 and 46 percent in 1999. In 2013, the ownership rate was 43 percent.

There are other measures that suggest that we should be very careful of relying too heavily on polling to gauge the level of gun ownership. For example, the nationally number of concealed handgun permits has soared over the last decade: rising from about 2.7 million in 1999 to 4.6 million in 2007 to 11.1 million in 2014.

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) shows that the number of gun purchases has grown dramatically over time –doubling from 2006 to 2014.

---------------

Gun industry, Bloomberg media square off over female gun owner data

Putting a pin in the balloon of rising female gun ownership, the Trace, a journalism start up funded by Michael Bloomberg’s Everytown for Gun Safety, consulted the General Social Survey. A project of the University of Chicago’s National Opinion Research Center, the GSS has conducted a sociological survey since 1972 to collect historical data on everything from government spending to race relations.

When it comes to gun ownership by women, the pollsters noted the number has averaged about 11 percent over the past three decades with slight dips, to as low as 9.1 percent in 1989, and slight increases, to as high as 13.7 percent in 1982.

“There’s been no meaningful directional change in the percent of women owning guns,” said Tom Smith, the director of the GSS.

However, the National Shooting Sports Foundation on Thursday posted a rebuttal to the article, citing the GSS itself was flawed when it came to gun data– much as they did last yearwhen the survey noted a decline in gun ownership numbers despite eight straight years of increasing firearms sales that set all-time records.

The NSSF contends GSS isn’t actually counting the number of firearms in each household. Rather it is enumerating the number of individuals willing to talk to a stranger at their front door about how many firearms they own. The two concepts, holds the trade group, are vastly different.

“It is a staple of gun control politics to work to diminish both the size and the ever increasing diversity of the firearm-owning American citizenry,” noted Larry Keane, NSSF senior vice president and general counsel. “The Trace provides just the latest example.”

Besides noting the trade group’s own studies in female gun ownership rates, the NSSF also bemoaned the outlet for discounting previous articles in the mainstream media.

“The Trace also asks its readers to discount CBS News, Fox News, Ad Age and dozens of local reporters nationwide (collectively, a ‘credulous press’) who have actually gone to firearms retailers and ranges to report that they see evidence of more and more women buying guns and taking up target shooting as a recreational activity,” wrote Keane.

people are not admitting to anonymous pollsters that they have guns in their homes......

And you know this how?

The myth that 200 million guns to 357,000,000 guns is only because the same people are buying more guns is just that...a myth......

And you know this how?

I have read about the gun community for years now..they are not telling people that they on guns...especially after several newspapers printed the names of gun owners after Sandy Hook......and other polls show that the General Social Survey is wrong.......considering the GSS is run by an anti gunner who states he wants his research to help push more gun control.
I get called for surveys all the time and I usually just hang up on them. Why would I waste my time telling lies, especially since if I was a gun owner I'd want the country to think guns were common, not the other way around. Doesn't pass the smell test.

Wrong.....some anonymous person calls up asking you if you have a gun in your home.....not answering that....it could be anyone, including criminals......

other polls show that the General Social Survey is wrong.......
I couldn't find them, can you provide a link? The Gallup poll gave a different number but still showed a decline in the number of gun owning households. Do you know of a poll that shows the opposite?

Here you go...

A 2011 Gallup poll with the headline “Self-Reported Gun Ownership in U.S. Is Highest Since 1993” appears to have gotten no news coverage.

The ABC News/Washington Post poll shows an even more stable pattern, with household gun ownership between 44 and 46 percent in 1999. In 2013, the ownership rate was 43 percent.

The number of homes with guns has not decreased.......you can't go from 200 million guns in private hands to 357 million guns in private hands and have the number of homes with guns decrease..........that is just anti gun wishful thinking and lying...
The links you provided seem to imply the number of homes with guns has remained flat. Can we at least agree that the number of households has not increased?

If every household with a gun bought a second gun the number of guns would double while the number of households with guns would be unchanged.

Wrong.....some anonymous person calls up asking you if you have a gun in your home.....not answering that....it could be anyone, including criminals......
Right, if some anonymous person calls up asking me if I have a gun in my home, I'm not answering that either. That doesn't mean those that do reply somehow skew the results.

Here you go...

Can we at least agree that the number of households has not increased at a time when crime has generally declined? I see no correlation then between more guns and less crime.

For example

No argument with your math but this would have no effect on murder rate statistics which are usually given per 100,000 persons.

The murder rate has gone down as a percentage not up. As i have said we have the same murder rate as we did in 1950 which has fallen steadily since a peak in the early 90's

Right, if some anonymous person calls up asking me if I have a gun in my home, I'm not answering that either. That doesn't mean those that do reply somehow skew the results.
it depends on the sample size and since there is no way to confirm the answers of these polls they are useless

Here you go...

Can we at least agree that the number of households has not increased at a time when crime has generally declined? I see no correlation then between more guns and less crime.

I have just shown you how the number of gun owners can increase even as the percentage of gun owners decreases. So there are more guns owners and less crime

It is a correlation at the very least

it depends on the sample size and since there is no way to confirm the answers of these polls they are useless
That's ridiculous. There is no way to confirm how a person will vote but political polls are generally accurate. There is plenty of established science for randomizing and sample size.

I have just shown you how the number of gun owners can increase even as the percentage of gun owners decreases. So there are more guns owners and less crime

Not relevant since crime statistics are also percentages and besides, you can't claim a correlation between crime and guns. It could have been the aging of the US population that caused the decrease in crime, which would have made sense since crime is generally confined to the young.

The number of homes with guns has not decreased.......you can't go from 200 million guns in private hands to 357 million guns in private hands and have the number of homes with guns decrease..........that is just anti gun wishful thinking and lying...
The links you provided seem to imply the number of homes with guns has remained flat. Can we at least agree that the number of households has not increased?

If every household with a gun bought a second gun the number of guns would double while the number of households with guns would be unchanged.

No........there were 320,000,000 guns in private hands in 2013 and now there are 357,000,000 in private hands.....there is no way the same people bought all those guns...considering the biggest growth segment in gun purchases are blacks and women...

Not relevant since crime statistics are also percentages and besides, you can't claim a correlation between crime and guns. It could have been the aging of the US population that caused the decrease in crime, which would have made sense since crime is generally confined to the young.

But the most important point........More Americans owning and actually carrying guns did not increase the gun murder rate......so the primary belief of the anti gun movement is wrong....

And we can argue about the effect armed citizens have had on the crime rate...

No........there were 320,000,000 guns in private hands in 2013 and now there are 357,000,000 in private hands.....there is no way the same people bought all those guns...considering the biggest growth segment in gun purchases are blacks and women...
There are plenty of possible ways, you just don't like to hear them because they don't fit your narrative:
  • people moving to cities where there is less opportunity to hunt and shoot
  • young people may be less interested in guns so as older gun owners die they are not being replaced
  • existing gun owners buy additional guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back