Harry Caray learns St. Louis Cardinals are giving him the boot

my2¢

So it goes
Gold Supporting Member
May 14, 2010
Below is audio of Harry Caray while working last game of season in 1969 as he learns from media that his 25 years as the Cardinals broadcaster are coming to an end. Came across this over the weekend and had never heard it before. As kids when the atmosphere was just right. we'd listen to baseball games on stations normally too distant to be pulled by the transistor radio.

I'm on a baseball forum with an ongoing thread about favorite & disliked broadcasters. There are two guys from Indianapolis who are big Chicago Cubs fans. They must be really old because they insist that Harry always bled Cardinal red. That led me to think about this so-called rivalry between Saint Louis and Chicago.

That rivalry was supposed to be big because that's the reason the Cardinals were put in the Eastern Division. But was it really a rivalry? Or just a dumb Illinois thing? People try to pretend that the Yanks-Red Sox was always a big rivalry, but I don't see it. I doubt the Yanks fans saw it that way. The Red Sox were generally big losers until recently. And still, I don't call that a rivalry.

Ohio State-Michigan. Now there's a rivalry.

Forum List

Back