Harvard Study - more gun laws may in fact increase death rates

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
Ouch... We need to put all the gun grabbers on suicide watch. Their biggest lie has been exposed by that Liberal Bastion, Harvard.

The rest of us knew this was true tho.

Harvard Study: No Correlation Between Gun Control and Less Violent Crime

A Harvard Study titled "Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?" looks at figures for "intentional deaths" throughout continental Europe and juxtaposes them with the U.S. to show that more gun control does not necessarily lead to lower death rates or violent crime.
Because the findings so clearly demonstrate that more gun laws may in fact increase death rates, the study says that "the mantra that more guns mean more deaths and that fewer guns, therefore, mean fewer deaths" is wrong.

For example, when the study shows numbers for Eastern European gun ownership and corresponding murder rates, it is readily apparent that less guns to do not mean less death. In Russia, where the rate of gun ownership is 4,000 per 100,000 inhabitants, the murder rate was 20.52 per 100,000 in 2002. That same year in Finland, where the rater of gun ownership is exceedingly higher--39,000 per 100,000--the murder rate was almost nill, at 1.98 per 100,000.

Looking at Western Europe, the study shows that Norway "has far and away Western Europe's highest household gun ownership rate (32%), but also its lowest murder rate."

And when the study focuses on intentional deaths by looking at the U.S. vs Continental Europe, the findings are no less revealing. The U.S., which is so often labeled as the most violent nation in the world by gun control proponents, comes in 7th--behind Russia, Estonia, Lativa, Lithuania, Belarus, and the Ukraine--in murders. America also only ranks 22nd in suicides.

The murder rate in Russia, where handguns are banned, is 30.6; the rate in the U.S. is 7.8.

The authors of the study conclude that the burden of proof rests on those who claim more guns equal more death and violent crime; such proponents should "at the very least [be able] to show a large number of nations with more guns have more death and that nations that impose stringent gun controls have achieved substantial reductions in criminal violence (or suicide)." But after intense study the authors conclude "those correlations are not observed when a large number of nations are compared around the world."

In fact, the numbers presented in the Harvard study support the contention that among the nations studied, those with more gun control tend toward higher death rates.

you do not need a study, you just need a link to governments official sites on crime, time and ability to analyze the data. All what is needed for US crime statistics and guns is cdc.gov

But they summarized it nicely :)

I thought Harvard had been debunked by Republicans as a festering pit of lies? :confused:

Lefties need to be told something by other lefties before they will believe it.

Harvard is still a cess pool of Liberalism... But even they can't always deny the facts.

So we should only listen to them this time... and none of the other times?

I thought Harvard had been debunked by Republicans as a festering pit of lies? :confused:

Harvard is still a cess pool of Liberalism... But even they can't always deny the facts.

Who ever said that?

You are doing a wonder job of deflecting the subject matter.. Which is that even Liberal Gun grabbers are going to have to admit that more gun laws don't reduce gun violence.

Who ever said that?

You are doing a wonder job of deflecting the subject matter.. Which is that even Liberal Gun grabbers are going to have to admit that more gun laws don't reduce gun violence.

Well hopefully liberals will listen, because any gun control past the automatic weapons ban is stupid

you should read the study and analyze YOURSELF is it worthy to be believed.

It is not hard :D

and, btw, you can do it with ANY study.

then you will know firsthand who is bullshitting and who is providing real studies - no need for MSNBS to brainwash you :lol:

then you will know firsthand who is bullshitting and who is providing real studies - no need for MSNBS to brainwash you :lol:

I did supply a link to the study itself...

Way to respond like an asshole :thup:

Who ever said that?

You see, BirdBrain, anybody can do a study and put it up on the internet.
From Yale University below.
Want me to go get you one from Princeton, too? Or can you find that on your own.

Shooting Down the “More Guns, Less Crime” Hypothesis

(With an addendum by the Stanford Law Review)
islandia.law.yale.edu/ayers/Ayres_Donohue_article.pdf

(copy the URL for the PDF in your browser for the download to start)

Last edited:

nobody taught you how to read a study?

you can learn it yourself. And now I am not sarcastic, that is true.
There is a lot of BS in the so-called scientific world ( I, for the world of me will never understand this awe of our libtards when hearing the word "science" as if science is a god and only one) and people publish bs papers all the time.
But there are some criteria which you have to look for and upon testing the original make your own conclusions.

this one is, most probably, reliable - it is an overview of the data from the official sites, just grouped together and with presented conclusions.

Last edited:

I did supply a link to the study itself...

Studies are written by individuals who utilize data at their discretion, but I doubt you even read the Harvard study. You just copied the URL and pasted it and flapped your parakeet wings proudly.

nobody taught you how to read a study?

you can learn it yourself. And now I am not sarcastic, that is true.
There is a lot of BS in the so-called scientific world ( I, for the world of me will never understand this awe of our libtards when hearing the word "science" as if science is a god and only one) and people publish bs papers all the time.
But there are some criteria which you have to look for and upon testing the original make your own conclusions.

this one is, most probably, reliable - it is an overview of the data from the official sites, just grouped together and with presented conclusions.

I read lots of studies and will continue to.

No idea what point you're trying to make.

Who ever said that?

You see, BirdBrain, anybody can do a study and put it up on the internet.
From Yale University below.
Want me to go get you one from Princeton, too? Or can you find that on your own.

Shooting Down the “More Guns, Less Crime” Hypothesis
(With an addendum by the Stanford Law Review)
islandialaw.yale.edu[/COLOR]/ayers/Ayres_Donohue_article.pdf

(copy the URL for the PDF in your browser for the download to start)

It's irrelevant.

why - you can find yourself ;)

The USA is waring nation, on a war footing ever since WWII. We have and try to fill vacuums of political power in a dog-eat-dog world.

No idea what point you're trying to make.

that one can not make a comment that this or that particular study is valid or not based on the political leanings of the school.

while I certainly agree that politics influence the studies conducted, especially if those are not strictly experimental ones, but one can more or less judge by him'herself

Last edited:

Forum List

Back