Has anyone ever changed your opinion on a topic on this forum?

Have you ever changed your opinion on something from reading this forum?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
Yes my opinion has been changed. Before reading the gun threads for the past several days and even though I have been a gun owner and shooter for most of my 59 years, I didn't understand that there are millions of gun nuts whose entire purpose in life seems to be guns. Now I know.

Guns are a tool. You need to shoot someone, get a gun. But to make yourself obsessed over guns is something I didn't quite realize was going on in the numbers it is happening with.

I mean we have people who are willing to die over my right to buy a weapon that I don't want or need.

And when your right to shoot at trees with a semi auto weapon is more important than the person with a 7 year olds right to feel that their kids should be safe in school from deranged young men with semi auto weapons bought by their mom, well I just can't understand that thinking.

No one here changes my mind. There are however, many on both sides of the isle who have added to my store of knowledge.

Last edited:
Missourian and LGS summed it up for me. I certainly don't lean Libertarian on all things but much more so on many things. Fiscally still pretty conservative.

Also, my eyes have been opened to the charade of Republicans. There really is only one coin, isn't there?

I used to think that if the facts are presented logically then folks will respond logically, I have learned that is not the truth.

I used to think that if posts are made without the name calling or belittlement then the response will be the same, I was wrong. I have learned.

I used to think that regardless of the noise around, if posts are presented honestly, whether factually correct or not, then honesty will be the response, wrong again. (factually correct or not, means that something is believed as true but may turn out not to be)

I've had my mind changed and I've been given a lot to think about on issues I thought were cut and dry. I really do appreciate the intelligent posters with different viewpoints that do a good job expressing themselves.

When you changed your mind, did you do so because of the FACTS supporting the position or persuasiveness of the argument?

For example, do you as millions believe there ever were 50 million "uninsured" which was the primary reason Obamacare passed with just 6 votes?

The FACTS show there are ONLY 8 million that want and need health insurance.

Now I've written about this dozens of times PROVEN there are truly only 8 million that want and need health insurance.. but in spite of the documented sourced proof.. Obamacare passed because more people believed this falsehood then obviously took the time to question!

SAY YOU???

Yes my opinion has been changed. Before reading the gun threads for the past several days and even though I have been a gun owner and shooter for most of my 59 years, I didn't understand that there are millions of gun nuts whose entire purpose in life seems to be guns. Now I know.

Guns are a tool. You need to shoot someone, get a gun. But to make yourself obsessed over guns is something I didn't quite realize was going on in the numbers it is happening with.

I mean we have people who are willing to die over my right to buy a weapon that I don't want or need.

And when your right to shoot at trees with a semi auto weapon is more important than the person with a 7 year olds right to feel that their kids should be safe in school from deranged young men with semi auto weapons bought by their mom, well I just can't understand that thinking.

Look, I don't understand why a person would collect stamps, I don't collect stamps so it is hard for me to understand why a person would bother. I don't collect guns either. But for the collector I can understand a little bit. Guns are a symbol of power for the little guy without power. Guns are a symbol of technology. The more the liberal left pretends to oppose gun ownership it can be seen that it just spurs more gun ownership. And don't think for one minute that the ownership is limited to one side of the aisle. My brother, who is a rapid Obama supporter, carries a gun with him every where he goes. He lives in an area where I think it very, very unlikely he will be accosted. He even wears it to hospitals when visiting people. I ask him way, he says because. So do I understand why he thinks he needs protection, no way, does that mean I should stop him from at least feeling safe?

Someone shooting a tree with a semi-auto has nothing to do with a deranged man getting his mother's guns to which she showed no responsible gun ownership and she paid the ultimate price.

Sorry I wandered from the subject of this thread. I want you to be sure I am concerned with those who carry guns in public who have nothing of value to protect. At the very least it shows me that they suffer from paranoia.

Last edited:
I've had my mind changed and I've been given a lot to think about on issues I thought were cut and dry. I really do appreciate the intelligent posters with different viewpoints that do a good job expressing themselves.

When you changed your mind, did you do so because of the FACTS supporting the position or persuasiveness of the argument?

For example, do you as millions believe there ever were 50 million "uninsured" which was the primary reason Obamacare passed with just 6 votes?

Now I've written about this dozens of times PROVEN there are truly only 8 million that want and need health insurance.. but in spite of the documented sourced proof.. Obamacare passed because more people believed this falsehood then obviously took the time to question!

SAY YOU???

You make my point about honesty. What should be said about the numbers is, Obama wants it, the democrats want it, and it makes me feel good to want it. So damn the numbers, damn the facts, and damn the damage it will do. But I doubt you will get that kind of honesty.

Yes, though not directly. There have been two or three occasions when, during the course of a discussion, I have been motivated to dig deeper about a given topic after the other person made a point that gave me pause.

Of course, this was years ago. Very few who have joined in the last two or three years have contibuted anything of much value in this regard.

Last edited:

SAY YOU???

You make my point about honesty. What should be said about the numbers is, Obama wants it, the democrats want it, and it makes me feel good to want it. So damn the numbers, damn the facts, and damn the damage it will do. But I doubt you will get that kind of honesty.

Dude's name is Freewill and he wants to force everyone to buy healthcare.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFQypLPZejA&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Alanis Morissette - Ironic (Video) - YouTube[/ame]

SAY YOU???

Who me? I don't want to force anyone to do anything, except live within the Natural Law, so I am not sure of your point or the song.

Look, I don't understand why a person would collect stamps, I don't collect stamps so it is hard for me to understand why a person would bother. I don't collect guns either. But for the collector I can understand a little bit. Guns are a symbol of power for the little guy without power. Guns are a symbol of technology. The more the liberal left pretends to oppose gun ownership it can be seen that it just spurs more gun ownership. And don't think for one minute that the ownership is limited to one side of the aisle. My brother, who is a rapid Obama supporter, carries a gun with him every where he goes. He lives in an area where I think it very, very unlikely he will be accosted. He even wears it to hospitals when visiting people. I ask him way, he says because. So do I understand why he thinks he needs protection, no way, does that mean I should stop him from at least feeling safe?

Someone shooting a tree with a semi-auto has nothing to do with a deranged man getting his mother's guns to which she showed no responsible gun ownership and she paid the ultimate price.
Sorry I wandered from the subject of this thread. I want you to be sure I am concerned with those who carry guns in public who have nothing of value to protect. At the very least it shows me that they suffer from paranoia.

Really? If the Bushmaster rifle bought by Adam's mother had not been on a gun rack to be bought by a tree shooter, then he PROBABLY would not have had THAT particular weapon with THAT amount of firepower available to him So his mom bought a semi auto weapon to shoot paper targets or trees and the gun ended up being used on first graders.

And you don't think there was any way to stop what happened?

And here is the problem. Just because you CAN buy that type of weapon does not mean that you should have it. Adams mom was considered a responsible gun owner, right up till her son killed her with the weapon she bought FOR him.

And for the hundreth time, I am not in favor a taking guns away. I have guns. I like my guns. I am interested in curbing the number of weapons like semi auto rifles with high capacity magizines on the market.

Right now, here in America, the NEXT crazy mass killer is growing up. Don't know who it is, but he is developing his weirdness as we write. I know if they can't get hold of semi auto's with 30 round magizines, it will be a lot or a little harder to commit the next mass killing. And that's good enough for me. Efforts to keep 20 or 30 kids or adults from being killed with semi auto rifle fire is a wothwhile effort. IMO.

Why make things like mass killing easier to accomplish rather than harder?

SAY YOU???

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFQypLPZejA&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Alanis Morissette - Ironic (Video) - YouTube[/ame]

The ironic thing about that song is, none of the things she sings about are ironic.

And on the stamp collecting idea. I collect guitars.

But no one is going to do a mass killing if they come in my house and steal my guitars. Or someones stamps.

I personally know of gun owners with M4 carbines and a whole host of handguns. Not a one in a gun safe or with trigger locks. IF someone were to break into his house, they would have an arsenal with thousands of rounds of ammo. And who would know where those weapon would end up.

Does that sound like responsible gun ownership to you? I bitch at him all the time.

No, with the "anything guns is good" attitude of the gun nuts and without a cry out from the NRA for real true responsible gun ownership, I would just as soon not have those weapons (semi auto rifles) available.

I mean, do you realize how good the NRA could have made themselves look, if after the killing in Conn, if the NRA had come out and said; put trigger locks on your guns. Put your guns in a gun safe. If you have an unstable person in your household, remove either your guns or ammo.

I mean there was a number of things the NRA could have said that would have sounded reasonable to most gun owners and even non gun owners. Nah they couldn't do that, they had to say arm the teachers. Put armed guards in every school. More guns more guns more guns.

Hell. after a while you have to think they are more interested in selling guns than being responsible with guns.

you make my point about honesty. What should be said about the numbers is, obama wants it, the democrats want it, and it makes me feel good to want it. So damn the numbers, damn the facts, and damn the damage it will do. But i doubt you will get that kind of honesty.

dude's name is freewill and he wants to force everyone to buy healthcare.

who me? I don't want to force anyone to do anything, except live within the natural law, so i am not sure of your point or the song.

okay

Didn't take long for this thread to go to seed...

To bad, this was a excellent question.

Didn't take long for this thread to go to seed...

To bad, this was a excellent question.
And notice as it went to seed, all you are hearing is the "gun nut this, gun nut that" BS, without one mention of the fact that the REAL problem is that we are seeing the wost generation in our history coming of age, and nobody ever wants to touch the subject as to why so many in this generation are whacked in the head.

But, oh well, that's for other threads......Lets see this thread get back to its original subject.

Forum List

Back