hatred of journalists on the rise worldwide

obama brought back hating the other side when he went after fox.

Were you asleep during the Dubya years? Did you forget that you called anyone opposed to Dubya a soldier hating traitor? :rolleyes:

First you say this, which is true.

Dictators and the pseudo Nazi movement have certainly worked hard to attack the media, which must be weak or non-existent in order for them obtain and remain in power.

Then you go off into WackadoodleLand with this. :cuckoo:
while other presidents have had issues with the media, obama was the first really that i recall in recent history to attack any of them by name like he did to fox. the left loved that. but now that trump is attacking the media now suddenly it's nazi shit.
American media has been attacked by name from the beginning (you have to demonstrate your facts, which you did not), and now iceberg is accusing 'nazi shit', which is really the behavior of the alt right media.

The fact that traditional journalism has turned into advocacy isn't lost on most people at this point.

If a democracy can't trust its media (either "side), it's in real trouble.
been banging on that drum for years. we let them do it cause we support it by using them to validate our emo-selves.
Sure. Now that each "side" has its favored media, the alternate universes will only grow further apart. And neither one will have to address important news and information that doesn't comport with its little worldview.

This is dangerous, and I suspect it's just getting started.

I think there is still plenty of good solid journalism out there - you just need to know how to critically peruse and be willing to look for good sources on all sides.

Were you asleep during the Dubya years? Did you forget that you called anyone opposed to Dubya a soldier hating traitor? :rolleyes:

Dictators and the pseudo Nazi movement have certainly worked hard to attack the media, which must be weak or non-existent in order for them obtain and remain in power.

So you live in some alternate dimension where Trump hasn’t attacked the media and threatened to shut them down?
Obama ‘threatens Fox News reporter’s career’
Mad About Trump Shutting Down A CNN Reporter? Remember When Obama Blamed Fox News For EVERYTHING?
President Obama's Feud with FOX News
Obama-era Surveillance Timeline | Sharyl Attkisson
Sharyl Attkisson Resigns from CBS over Obama Bias & Lack of Dedication to Investigative Reporting

now - queue why all these were worthy and good, despite being the same thing.
Obama Obama Obama

The fact that traditional journalism has turned into advocacy isn't lost on most people at this point.

been banging on that drum for years. we let them do it cause we support it by using them to validate our emo-selves.
Sure. Now that each "side" has its favored media, the alternate universes will only grow further apart. And neither one will have to address important news and information that doesn't comport with its little worldview.

I think there is still plenty of good solid journalism out there - you just need to know how to critically peruse and be willing to look for good sources on all sides.

Any good recent examples?

NPR's coverage of the opiod epidemic for example.

I appreciate that. Good journalism these days is incredibly rare, it seems.

It's out there - you just need to ignore the NOISE :)

So you live in some alternate dimension where Trump hasn’t attacked the media and threatened to shut them down?
Mad About Trump Shutting Down A CNN Reporter? Remember When Obama Blamed Fox News For EVERYTHING?
Sharyl Attkisson Resigns from CBS over Obama Bias & Lack of Dedication to Investigative Reporting

Obama Obama Obama
when you see someone all butthurt that trump is ragging on the press i'm just going to remind them where it started from.

if you forget the past you repeat the past, right?

look into sharyl attkisson - she does a lot of investigative work w/o an agenda of who's right and wrong to start off with.

Obama Obama Obama
when you see someone all butthurt that trump is ragging on the press i'm just going to remind them where it started from.

It started decades ago, when right wing media began saying that their opinions were the only real facts

Tougher and tougher to find.

The alt right is so butt hurt.

show-meon-this-doll-where-the-internethurt-you-butthurt-people-3536218.png

Although I hated what journalism morphed into during the "extreme" era of the 1990's...So I dropped the pen and have yet to pick it back up..
I didn't practice the right politics when I was in journalism school.
I was in journalism classes in Junior -High school 1974-1979 and when I went to college in 1988 for it at U of Arkanslaw it had changed almost one eighty..I was lost..In earlier year as with English lit classes and other writing forms I studied you were not supposed to over exaggerate word usage and descriptive manners...Yet by the later 1980's it was wrong if you took a neutral tone or an observatory recollection..

I

Tougher and tougher to find.
I think there is just as much out there, it is just that every one now has a platform and can call itself news with no accountability so there is a lot of distracting noise.

Obama Obama Obama

Except, it did not start there. Many presidents have had their wars with the media.

THE PRESIDENT AND THE PRESS

Though Obama and Trump took it to different levels. Obama, with prosecuting leakers: Analysis | Trump rages about leakers. Obama quietly prosecuted them.

and Trump, with attempting to use his presidential powers to go after media directly:
Trump is ‘Obsessed’ With Amazon Because He Wants to Crush the Washington Post

Neither is good imo, for freedom of the press and Trump using his power to attempt to effect mergers because of personal animosity is very dangerous

Obama Obama Obama

Except, it did not start there. Many presidents have had their wars with the media.

THE PRESIDENT AND THE PRESS

Though Obama and Trump took it to different levels. Obama, with prosecuting leakers: Analysis | Trump rages about leakers. Obama quietly prosecuted them.

and Trump, with attempting to use his presidential powers to go after media directly:
Trump is ‘Obsessed’ With Amazon Because He Wants to Crush the Washington Post

Neither is good imo, for freedom of the press and Trump using his power to attempt to effect mergers because of personal animosity is very dangerous
you're right. nixon had his issues also.

lately it seems to have kicked back up again w/obama going after fox and then trump having to say "hold my beer" and get even more stupid. i *hate it* when our president is jacking with the media in EITHER direction. not their role nor their place. if you want people to stop saying bad things about you stop doing bad shit. :)

but our presidents have no business telling people what is and is not news. obama, trump - any of 'em.

Forum List

Back