Have Questions About Judaism?Here are The Answers

Interesting cite, although it seems to raise more questions than it answers. For example, was Jesus an actual person? If so, was he a Jewish rabbi? Were his teachings antithetical to Judaism? If so, which ones? Were any of them legitimate? I understand the hesitancy to address these issues, but I am interested in the Jewish analysis of his reputed teachings as opposed to the subsequent development of the Christian religion.

Interesting cite, although it seems to raise more questions than it answers. For example, was Jesus an actual person? If so, was he a Jewish rabbi? Were his teachings antithetical to Judaism? If so, which ones? Were any of them legitimate? I understand the hesitancy to address these issues, but I am interested in the Jewish analysis of his reputed teachings as opposed to the subsequent development of the Christian religion.

The reasons Jews and Judaism don't recognize Yeshua (Jesus' actual name) is explained in great detail here:
Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus, why Jews reject Jesus

Bit of a read, but those into theological studies aren't afraid of reading. :)

BELIEVERS LIVE UNDER THE NEW COVNANT UNDER THE BLOOD OF JESUS WHICH SETS US FREE!!! PTL. === So Christ has made us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get all tied up again in the chains of slavery to Jewish laws and ceremonies. 2 Listen to me, for this is serious: if you are counting on circumcision and keeping the Jewish laws to make you right with God, then Christ cannot save you. 3 I’ll say it again. Anyone trying to find favor with God by being circumcised must always obey every other Jewish law or perish. 4 Christ is useless to you if you are counting on clearing your debt to God by keeping those laws; you are lost from God’s grace.

5 But we by the help of the Holy Spirit are counting on Christ’s death to clear away our sins and make us right with God. 6 And we to whom Christ has given eternal life don’t need to worry about whether we have been circumcised or not, or whether we are obeying the Jewish ceremonies or not; for all we need is faith working through love.
GALATIONS 4:25-31

BELIEVERS LIVE UNDER THE NEW COVNANT UNDER THE BLOOD OF JESUS WHICH SETS US FREE!!! PTL. === So Christ has made us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get all tied up again in the chains of slavery to Jewish laws and ceremonies. 2 Listen to me, for this is serious: if you are counting on circumcision and keeping the Jewish laws to make you right with God, then Christ cannot save you. 3 I’ll say it again. Anyone trying to find favor with God by being circumcised must always obey every other Jewish law or perish. 4 Christ is useless to you if you are counting on clearing your debt to God by keeping those laws; you are lost from God’s grace.

5 But we by the help of the Holy Spirit are counting on Christ’s death to clear away our sins and make us right with God. 6 And we to whom Christ has given eternal life don’t need to worry about whether we have been circumcised or not, or whether we are obeying the Jewish ceremonies or not; for all we need is faith working through love.
GALATIONS 4:25-31

Might be interested in reading this about 'Are Christians 'Under the Law?''
Are we still under the law? > Sabbath Truth

7th Day Adventist site. One of very few Christian denominations I have any respect for.

that isn't relevant to a site about judaism since jesus is irrelevant to judaism

but if you ask what most jews believe it's that jesus was a jew from nazareth.

in terms of your other inquiries, i'm sure there are many writings on the subject. but it wouldn't be in judaism 101. and why would you want to make a thread on judaism yet another on christian dogms?

Last edited:
Scripturally he's irrelevant. Historically though he's very relevant. He was a Jew afterall. Not a very observant one off in his own little imaginary world n all, but we don't dispute he existed and had a following n such.

Intriguing page here about Jewish challenge made to the Vatican over Yeshua. Claims the lineage in Matthew was wrong, and some other contradictions about the Jewish concept of the Messiah and how that isn't how Yeshua was described in the NT. Worth a skim.

The Catholic Church's Response to Our Critique of Christian Credibility - Lawrence Kelemen, Permission To Receive

Insofar as actual Jewish theology goes, most Jewish sites teaching about Judaism don't mention Yeshua simply because when Jewish texts were being written he hadn't been born yet. Be like asking why we don't teach about Islam - same reason, it didn't exist yet. Plus it's not for us to teach about every crazy Jew who thought he was the Messiah. And Yeshua wasn't the only one with a big following. Google 'other Messiahs' sometime.

Scripturally he's irrelevant. Historically though he's very relevant. He was a Jew afterall. Not a very observant one off in his own little imaginary world n all, but we don't dispute he existed and had a following n such.

Intriguing page here about Jewish challenge made to the Vatican over Yeshua. Claims the lineage in Matthew was wrong, and some other contradictions about the Jewish concept of the Messiah and how that isn't how Yeshua was described in the NT. Worth a skim.

The Catholic Church's Response to Our Critique of Christian Credibility - Lawrence Kelemen, Permission To Receive

i was merely commenting on the fact that the o/p seemed to want to address one issue and the post to which i responded wanted to take the thread elsewhere.

as you pointed out, scripturally, jesus is irrelevant to judaism. historically? well, of course he's relevant. but that isn't what the o/p was discussing and not every thread has to be about jesus.

at the time, even jews didn't agree on what the messiah was or would be. some thought he would be a messianic king returning jerusalem and it's surrounds to jewish rule and ousting the romans (which is what they strung jesus up for). some thought he would be a spiritual savior. some (which is my own background) believed it to be some combination of spiritual and kingly.

and of course the lineage was wrong… jesus didn't fulfill the prophesies… which were also disjointed and not of one view. and he wasn't born in bethlehem, which also violated at least some of the prophesies.

i was merely commenting on the fact that the o/p seemed to want to address one issue and the post to which i responded wanted to take the thread elsewhere.

as you pointed out, scripturally, jesus is irrelevant to judaism. historically? well, of course he's relevant. but that isn't what the o/p was discussing and not every thread has to be about jesus.

at the time, even jews didn't agree on what the messiah was or would be. some thought he would be a messianic king returning jerusalem and it's surrounds to jewish rule and ousting the romans (which is what they strung jesus up for). some thought he would be a spiritual savior. some (which is my own background) believed it to be some combination of spiritual and kingly.

and of course the lineage was wrong… jesus didn't fulfill the prophesies… which were also disjointed and not of one view. and he wasn't born in bethlehem, which also violated at least some of the prophesies.

I understood. Unfortunately in any discussion about Judaism amongst non-Jews, things are going to come around to Yeshua eventually. :) For myself, I welcome that since the more people talk about him re:Judaism, the more Scriptural inaccuracies and contradictions I can point out. :)

I understood. Unfortunately in any discussion about Judaism amongst non-Jews, things are going to come around to Yeshua eventually. :) For myself, I welcome that since the more people talk about him re:Judaism, the more Scriptural inaccuracies and contradictions I can point out. :)

fair enough. :)

Jews for Judaism site (counter-movement of the Messianic Judaism/Jews for Jesus)
Jews For Judaism | The Totality of Scripture

"Judaism and Christianity are two different belief systems. They differ from each other on foundational issues such as the identity of God and atonement from sin. Yet these two disparate belief systems point to the same Jewish Bible as a fundamental element of their respective faiths. The doctrines of Judaism and Christianity are diametrical opposites, yet the proponents of both sides of the argument find encouragement in the pages of the same book.
When we stand back and look at the big picture, it becomes clear that it is Judaism that is loyal to the Authorial intent of scripture, while Christianity misappropriates the scripture. We can more readily appreciate the statement of a former missionary who converted to Judaism. “The Bible is the most powerful counter-missionary book ever published”."

Interesting page here detailing the beliefs of Israeli Jews.
How Religious are Israeli Jews?
(apologies for formatting glitches)

ISRAELI JEWISH RELIGIOUS PRACTICE
Religious Practice Always Sometimes Never
Light Shabbat candles 56% 22% 20%
Recite Kiddush (Friday night) 46% 21% 32%
Synagogue Saturday morning 23% 22% 56%
Don't work [in public] on Sabbath 42% 19% 39%
Paraticipate in Passover Seder 78% 17% 5%
Light Hanukkah candles 71% 20% 9%
Fast on Yom Kippur 70% 11% 19%
Bless Lulav (Sukkot) 26% 15% 59%
Observe Kashrut at home 69% 18% 14%
No pork, shellfish, etc. 63% 16% 21%
Brit Milah 92%
Bar Mitzvah 83%
Wedding 87%
Burial/Shiva/Kaddish 88-91%
Mezuzah on front door 98%
Contribute to charity 74%

ISRAELI JEWISH RELIGIOUS BELIEF
"To what extent do you believe or not believe in each of the following?" Believe Completely Not Sure Do Not Believe
There is a God 63% 24% 13%
There is a supreme power guiding the world 57% 29% 14%
Torah given to Moses on Mount Sinai 55% 31% 14%
Good deeds are rewarded 52% 33% 14%
The Jewish people was chosen among peoples 50% 29% 20%
A watch from above is kept over everyone 49% 32% 19%
The Torah and mitzvot are God's commands 47% 29% 24%
Prayer can help one get out of a bad situation 45% 35% 20%
Bad deeds are punished 44% 38% 18%
The coming of the Messiah 39% 29% 32%
There is a next world 35% 35% 30%
Those who don't adhere to mitzvot are punished 27% 36% 37%