Have Repubs forgotten how a bill becomes law?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/weigel/2013/09/19/ted_cruz_republicans_temporarily_forget_how_a_bill_becomes_a_law/180224625.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg[/IMG

Watch the cute little video and hope someone sends it to Ted Cruz.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/weigel/2013/09/19/ted_cruz_republicans_temporarily_forget_how_a_bill_becomes_a_law/180224625.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg[/IMG

Watch the cute little video and hope someone sends it to Ted Cruz.[/quote]

actually with the obstructionist libs controlling the senate it's been awhile since we've been able to get one through

Please stop trying to act intelligent. You're like squirrel crossing the road countless times only waiting to be run over by people ten times more intelligent than your Congo sized IQ.

That was for the dip shit OP.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Better send it to the Prez, he thinks he's above all that and he can write his own. He doesn't even think it's necessary to enforce laws already on the books. ;)

In this case, it's unfair to pounce upon Cruz for him saying the House will "pass [the CR] into law". He's not stupid and he knows how a bill becomes a law.

I'm not defending the House GOP's actions, mind you. Threatening to shut down the federal government in order to defund a law (that was voted upon and passed like every other law) simply because you disagree with said law makes them legislative bullies and crybabys. Yes, both at the same time.

If you think the ACA is bad, then pass laws changing it or even repealing it. But don't hold the government hostage simply because you lost.

Only way Liberals get a "bill" through is to ask Obama to turn it into an executive order. Perhaps it is you who have forgotten the legislative process?

In this case, it's unfair to pounce upon Cruz for him saying the House will "pass [the CR] into law". He's not stupid and he knows how a bill becomes a law.

I'm not defending the House GOP's actions, mind you. Threatening to shut down the federal government in order to defund a law (that was voted upon and passed like every other law) simply because you disagree with said law makes them legislative bullies and crybabys. Yes, both at the same time.

If you think the ACA is bad, then pass laws changing it or even repealing it. But don't hold the government hostage simply because you lost.

Oh REALLY... like "EVERY OTHER LAW?"... I wasn't aware that EVERY OTHER LAW was NEVER READ before they were VOTED ON...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-05TLiiLU]Pelosi: "We Have to Pass the Bill So That You Can Find Out What Is In It" - YouTube[/ame]

... and by the way, "I" didn't "LOSE," AMERICA as a NATION lost.

Last edited:
007 said:
Oh REALLY... like "EVERY OTHER LAW?"... I wasn't aware that EVERY OTHER LAW was NEVER READ before they were VOTED ON...

Sorry, let me clarify. The ACA was passed as the Constitution dictates. If you think otherwise, please link to the facts.

As for your Fox News clip, Pelosi says we need to pass the bill so we can understand what's in it "away from the fog of controversy". In other words, once the ACA is passed, we can see past the lies, distortions, and half-truths to see what's really in it. Given the amount of controversy over the ACA, I can see that. (I also think it was poorly worded.)

Even if you take Pelosi's quote out of context (as you are), that does not mean lawmakers didn't have a chance to read the bill before voting on it. If they failed to read it, then that's their fault. But if you think the Dems managed to violate Constitutional laws on how a bill becomes law, then again, please link to the facts so I can know them.

007 said:

Sorry, let me clarify. The ACA was passed as the Constitution dictates. If you think otherwise, please link to the facts.

As for your Fox News clip, Pelosi says we need to pass the bill so we can understand what's in it "away from the fog of controversy". In other words, once the ACA is passed, we can see past the lies, distortions, and half-truths to see what's really in it. Given the amount of controversy over the ACA, I can see that. (I also think it was poorly worded.)

Even if you take Pelosi's quote out of context (as you are), that does not mean lawmakers didn't have a chance to read the bill before voting on it. If they failed to read it, then that's their fault. But if you think the Dems managed to violate Constitutional laws on how a bill becomes law, then again, please link to the facts so I can know them.
WRONGO... skippy... she says... "SO WE CAN FIND OUT WHAT'S IN IT"... meaning SHE HAS NO FUCKING CLUE, and neither did any of the other JACK OFFS that VOTED FOR IT, because NONE OF THEM FUCKING READ IT.

Don't come in here thinking you're going to pull a fast on this crowd. We're all too savy to buy any libtard bull shit.

Maybe you need some more debating practice before you come here, cherry.

Last edited:

A law that was voted on by one party only and against the majority of the people.
No it was not passed just like every other law.

WRONGO... skippy... she says... "SO WE CAN FIND OUT WHAT'S IN IT"... meaning SHE HAS NO FUCKING CLUE, and neither did any of the other JACK OFFS that VOTED FOR IT, because NONE OF THEM FUCKING READ IT.

Don't come in here thinking you're going to pull a fast on this crowd. We're all too savy to buy any libtard bull shit.

Always glad to see someone start personal attacks against me, i.e. "skippy", "libtard", and "cherry". That means they're losing the debate. Otherwise, they'd post facts or logic.

Here's the transcript of what Pelosi said in that 10 second clip you posted: "But we have to pass the bill so that you can uh find out what is in it away from the fog of the controversy." You should really watch and listen to video clips you post before saying I'm wrong for literally quoting it.

There's no "fast one" being pulled, unless you mean how I quoted correctly from your clip. And there's not even a debate, unless you can edit the audio and repost the clip.

Lastly, I notice with interest how you ignored my requests for facts to disprove the ACA was passed in accordance to the rules stipulated by the Constitution. Since you read my post and ignored the request, I must assume you have no facts and you agree the ACA was legally and correctly put into law. Glad to see we're in agreement here.

LOL. This ACA is holding the American people hostage! And what do you think the Congress has been trying to do all this time? They have tried repealing it, only to be rebuffed by a democratically held Senate.

You should probably address all the liberal crybabies who whined when the Supreme Court struck down a key provision of the Voting Rights Act. How about going after our Justice Department for going after people they thought were "trying to keep people from voting"? Or, how about you go after our government as a whole for suing Arizona for enforcing laws it didn't intend to enforce itself?

It was passed under reconciliation, actually, based on highly disputed claims that it would decrease the budget deficit. Sorry, not very many major laws passed that way, reconciliation is more commonly used for budget adjusting amendments.

Defunding might be a bully technique, but it's hard to call someone crybaby for not being happy with some questionable shit.

On top of that, if wanting to defund a law in order to go around it is crybaby bullying shit, then what is it when the administration just decides that, since they don't agree with a law, they're not going to enforce it?

Is it not also bullying when Obama decides to go around the constitution to pass and alter legislation without involving the Congress? Say what you want about obstructionism, the Congress was elected too. If the people put an entirely different party in charge of the house than they did in charge of the presidency, maybe passing all sorts of Democrat initiatives isn't exactly what the country wanted?

A law that was voted on by one party only and against the majority of the people.
No it was not passed just like every other law.
ACA was approved 219-212 in the House and 60-39 in the Senate. Party membership has nothing to do with qualifying a vote, or all an opposition party has to do is not vote for a bill to defeat it regardless of the vote results. Given the partisan nature of Congress of late, how many bills are approved by party lines? Are all of those invalid? In order to approve of a bill, do you need bipartisan support?

The same is true with public opinion--it has no effect on the legality or appropriateness of a bill becoming law. If the American people hate it, they vote out their representatives who voted for ACA. But the American people like the provisions in the law--they just don't like the law when it is called Obamacare. In other words, people know Obamacare = bad thanks to GOP media effects, but many (not all) of these same people approve of what ACA will implement.

Always glad to see someone start personal attacks against me, i.e. "skippy", "libtard", and "cherry". That means they're losing the debate. Otherwise, they'd post facts or logic.

Here's the transcript of what Pelosi said in that 10 second clip you posted: "But we have to pass the bill so that you can uh find out what is in it away from the fog of the controversy." You should really watch and listen to video clips you post before saying I'm wrong for literally quoting it.

There's no "fast one" being pulled, unless you mean how I quoted correctly from your clip. And there's not even a debate, unless you can edit the audio and repost the clip.

Lastly, I notice with interest how you ignored my requests for facts to disprove the ACA was passed in accordance to the rules stipulated by the Constitution. Since you read my post and ignored the request, I must assume you have no facts and you agree the ACA was legally and correctly put into law. Glad to see we're in agreement here.

That’s all you’ll get from the USMB right: failed attempts to deflect, ignorance, and stupidity; they’re all cowards, they lack the courage to address the topic and admit to the fact that House republicans are reckless and irresponsible.

It was passed under reconciliation, actually, based on highly disputed claims that it would decrease the budget deficit. Sorry, not very many major laws passed that way, reconciliation is more commonly used for budget adjusting amendments.
The Senate version passed in a regular vote. House Dems abandoned their version in favor of the Senate version but wanted changes. These changes affected the bill's budget (i.e. how taxes would pay for it) and reconciliation was used. All of this is permitted. That's how Congress works--the ACA was passed using normal legislative methods.

Defunding might be a bully technique, but it's hard to call someone crybaby for not being happy with some questionable shit.
Not being happy is acceptable. So are attempts to repeal or modify existing laws. But the GOP looks like a big ol' crybaby because it's not getting what it wants--repeal of ACA--and it consistently whining about it. 40+ attempts to repeal?

On top of that, if wanting to defund a law in order to go around it is crybaby bullying shit, then what is it when the administration just decides that, since they don't agree with a law, they're not going to enforce it?
1) This question is off-topic and doesn't affect whether the GOP is a bully-crybaby or not. 2) As far as I know, the Obama admin refused to support DOMA because it was unconstitutional--and the Supreme Court agreed.

Is it not also bullying when Obama decides to go around the constitution to pass and alter legislation without involving the Congress? Say what you want about obstructionism, the Congress was elected too. If the people put an entirely different party in charge of the house than they did in charge of the presidency, maybe passing all sorts of Democrat initiatives isn't exactly what the country wanted?
1) Again, this has no bearing on the GOP's bully-crybaby routine. 2) A bully uses threats to get what they want--which is usually control. The GOP is threatening to shut down the government. If Obama went "around the constitution and alter legislation without involving Congress", there is no threat in that. Therefore, it's not bullying. (NOTE: I am not saying Obama is at fault nor free of fault.)

Also note that not one of them can post proof of the ridiculous things they write. With rw's, its all about name calling. With R politicians, its governing with threats and blackmail.

The ObamaCare bill was passed, legally, Constitutionally, into law. Its time the damn Rs shut up and do their job instead of working so damn hard to steal from the working class to give to the rich.

Forum List

Back