Have you replaced ball joints?

Old Blue needs some lower ball joints to pass inspection. My inspection guy retired, so I went to the guy he recommended. When I saw the lift...I knew I was in trouble.

Usually, I'd shop for a new inspection guy...but the lower on the passenger side is actually pretty bad this time...not just a scam for the inspection mechanic to make some script.

I got a quote. Shop wants to do uppers and lowers for $750.

Don't know if that's a screwin' or not...but regardless...I'm not gonna part with $750 on a $900 truck if I can do it myself.

I've done most mechanical work over the years...but never done ball joints.

I watched a video...and most of the work seems to be things I've done many times...remove the caliper, separate the tie rods...and then the new section...press out the lower ball joints with snap ring pliers and a ball joint press.

Any tips and tricks from those of you that have done this before would be greatly appreciated.

Old Blue is an '89 F150 2WD.

Here's the video...

Yes check out parts geek.com. when one went out on my jeep I was able to replace both sides entire suspension minus struts for like 425 dollars. You will have it all apart ya might as well get it all while you are there.

I used to do them in 8 minutes flat and I rotated the air in all 4 tires and filled it up with flasher fluid.
I can swap muffler bearings using a torch in 45 seconds.
One time I put a 1969 Camaro radiator hose in a 1966 beetle and the top speed jumped by 9 miles per hour.

All my vehicles have Mallory Dual Point Cigarette lighters in the dash
have a nice day,,,

Old Blue needs some lower ball joints to pass inspection. My inspection guy retired, so I went to the guy he recommended. When I saw the lift...I knew I was in trouble.

Usually, I'd shop for a new inspection guy...but the lower on the passenger side is actually pretty bad this time...not just a scam for the inspection mechanic to make some script.

Don't know if that's a screwin' or not...but regardless...I'm not gonna part with $750 on a $900 truck if I can do it myself.

I watched a video...and most of the work seems to be things I've done many times...remove the caliper, separate the tie rods...and then the new section...press out the lower ball joints with snap ring pliers and a ball joint press.

Any tips and tricks from those of you that have done this before would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the video...

It's not that hard, but that quote of $750 is a pretty darn good price for the job here at least.

Here's the video...

You gonna need the "special tool" AKA "Ball joint separator".

And a hammuh! And only get parts from the factory or NAPA, that Chinese crap will let ya down.

You'll need open ends and beefy sockets. A-uhh impact wrench would be nice.

The puttin' together is where it got dicey for me..I felt that if I hammered on that thing, might do some damage,

so I took where a dude had a hydraulic press and it popped right together. Possibly a C-clamp would work?

I'm a jerbroni, only done it once and it was on a Ford truck and it was decades ago.

Last edited:
It's not that hard, but that quote of $750 is a pretty darn good price for the job here at least.
for just a lower BJ should be less than 2 hrs,, at dealer rate thats 250,,

including the alignment is another 175 maybe,,
I would check alignment but you cant adjust for ball joint/camber on a lot of ford I beam suspensions,,

for just a lower BJ should be less than 2 hrs,, at dealer rate thats 250,,

including the alignment is another 175 maybe,,
I would check alignment but you cant adjust for ball joint on a lot of ford I beam suspensions,,

Takes a frame bender to align camber or castor for ford twin I-beam front suspension. Fortunately they don't unusually need anything more than toe-in if the bushing are still OK. There's one shop here in Wichita KS that can do it.

Takes a frame bender to align camber or castor for ford twin I-beam front suspension. Fortunately they don't unusually need anything more than toe-in if the bushing are still OK. There's one shop here in Wichita KS that can do it.
its called an I beam bender and most people dont even know they exist,, I used them a few times but the bend almost never holds,,

some do have an eccentric sleeve around the pin to turn and adjust,, they suck just as much,,

just a good size ball peen right against the side of the connection point will drop the joint out like a turd out of a ducks ass,,

you can also use an air hammer with a hammer head on it in the same place if its to hard to get a proper swing,,
Reckon I did it the hard way.

its called an I beam bender and most people dont even know they exist,, I used them a few times but the bend almost never holds,,

some do have an eccentric sleeve around the pin to turn and adjust,, they suck just as much,,
I've never used one, I just know I had to take my old '78 into Axel Wheel and Aligning Co after replacing the king pins because they have a frame machine that they can use for it.

Forum List

Back