He F**ked Around And Found Out

Every senaario is different. In this case the guy did the smart thing and he is off the hook. Had he killed the sonofabitch then he may be regretting it with enormous legal bills and facing a prison term.

I love the attacker crying like a pussy after being shot.
That's the best part. ;)

The problem is, you don't really know if you're going to wound someone when you shoot them. Even a shot to the arm or leg can cause someone to bleed out and die, or even continue to fight.

That's why they call it "deadly force"...

That's why they call it "deadly force"...
Have you guys read "The Law of Self Defense Principles" by Andrew Branca?

It is a great book for understanding what you are up against in a self defense case.

That is usually a tough row to hoe, even in a red State. Your chances of being screwed in a Blue State are almost certain.

Branca is a specialized self defense attorney that has tried many cases.

There is a lot of information in the book and not easy to condense into a couple of sentences but the bottom line is if you are going to kill somebody you had better be prepared to face extreme scrutiny over all of the details. The police or DA are not going to automatically say "good shoot". If you can get out of killing somebody then that is always the most prudent path.

In this case since the assailant didn't have a gun in hand or even the knife and had been kill the shooter could have been charged with some lower level of assault or manslaughter because he had the choice to warn or wound. Unfortunately that happens in many cases. The book by Branca gives several examples of that happening.

Of course in this case because the assailant had a restraining order against the shooter that probably was a good "get out of jail free" card.

Then you always have the old saying "better to be judged by 12 than buried by six".

Have you guys read "The Law of Self Defense Principles" by Andrew Branca?

I've not, but I will...

It is a great book for understanding what you are up against in a self defense case.

Well, I knew what I was up against in my two instances, and in the second instance there was no alternative to the use of deadly force...

...the bottom line is if you are going to kill somebody you had better be prepared to face extreme scrutiny over all of the details. The police or DA are not going to automatically say "good shoot". If you can get out of killing somebody then that is always the most prudent path.

Actually, that depends. In my second occurrence (the first time the attacker fled when I drew my sidearm) I was taken into custody. I had my lawyer with me at the Sheriff's station and answered every question he said I could answer. When my interview was done the detective thanked me for my time and said I would be hearing from the DA's office. They contacted my attorney the next day and told him they wouldn't be pursuing charges against me...

I've not, but I will...

Well, I knew what I was up against in my two instances, and in the second instance there was no alternative to the use of deadly force...

Actually, that depends. In my second occurrence (the first time the attacker fled when I drew my sidearm) I was taken into custody. I had my lawyer with me at the Sheriff's station and answered every question he said I could answer. When my interview was done the detective thanked me for my time and said I would be hearing from the DA's office. They contacted my attorney the next day and told him they wouldn't be pursuing charges against me...

I am a "gun nut" and I know how to use firearms being a certified firearms trainer and range officer. I also have a CCW and several carry weapons.

However, I very seldom carry.

The reason is that I live in a relatively safe area. I have never been a victim of a crime or threatened by anyone.

Whenever I go to a big city like Tampa or Orlando I carry but I very seldom carry in my daily life.

Another reason is that I know I have a temper and because of that I may do something really stupid. For instance, If took my wife out for dinner and some ghetto shithead did anything to bother her I would probably be so pissed I would kill the sonofabitch, even if it wasn't self defense.

I would rather spend my retirement days enjoying my grandkids than sitting in a prison cell with Jamal.

Forum List

Back