Health and the profit motive

Breast surgeon Ian Paterson jailed for 15 years for carrying out needless operations

This character must be one of the most wicked individuals to walk the earth. Telling patients that they have cancer in order to profit from the surgery.

But this is what can happen when the profit motive is introduced into any sphere. Patersons victims were customers of Spire Health a private tax dodging health chain.

On the day that consultant surgeon Ian Stuart Paterson, 59, was sentenced to 15 years in prison, victims vowed to continue to fight for compensation and called for private healthcare providers to put “patients before profits”. Lawyers for hundreds of additional victims have called for new laws to give private patients the same protection provided by the NHS.

Of course health is a business and not a right isnt it ?

Do you see instances of profiteering in the American Health System which is the most expensive in the world ?
I'm not going to speak for the entirety of the health care system but I will give a few anecdotal differences I see with health care were I live. In my country (Belgium) a gastric bypass consists of an initial appointment, 1 full day of tests and the surgery. 3 Days in about 2 months from start to finish and its done. I the US, New York to be exact I had a friend who did it in a bit over a year constituting at least a dozen doctor appointments. My wife who's American says that gynecologists in the US are less prone to recommend the IUD as a method of birth control, while that's the first recommendation here, for adult females. In my country having surgery means you get 1 maybe 2 days of heavy duty pain meds, before the switch you to ibuprofen. We don't have the big opioid problem that seems prevalent in the US. This what you had in mind?
Sort of. Ive heard stories about tests that arent needed and drugs that are outrageously priced. There are a lot of mouths to feed in a system set up to make a profit.
Well the IUD part of it.Although it solely stems from my wives experiences points to a systemic problem were the most effective treatment of a problem is ignored in favor of more expensive solutions. The same can be said for the opioid problem that seems too not make medical sense. If a drug is addictive, why push it if their are non addictive alternatives?
My wife is a nurse and I had to ask her about opioids. Its not a thing over here.
That's why I'm careful not to speak for the health care system in its entirety. I suspect that there are quite big differences state to state. That's why generalizations are always dangerous.

I'm not going to speak for the entirety of the health care system but I will give a few anecdotal differences I see with health care were I live. In my country (Belgium) a gastric bypass consists of an initial appointment, 1 full day of tests and the surgery. 3 Days in about 2 months from start to finish and its done. I the US, New York to be exact I had a friend who did it in a bit over a year constituting at least a dozen doctor appointments. My wife who's American says that gynecologists in the US are less prone to recommend the IUD as a method of birth control, while that's the first recommendation here, for adult females. In my country having surgery means you get 1 maybe 2 days of heavy duty pain meds, before the switch you to ibuprofen. We don't have the big opioid problem that seems prevalent in the US. This what you had in mind?
Sort of. Ive heard stories about tests that arent needed and drugs that are outrageously priced. There are a lot of mouths to feed in a system set up to make a profit.

And in the government systems...in particular Britain, tests are not given and drugs aren't given simply because of bureaucratic decisions, and cost cutting......and a lack of empathy by the clock punching Doctors.....
I have first and second hand experiences in a government system and the US system. Which I suspect is more then you can say. So I can say you don't know what you are talking about.

Not me...the British news agencies......and our own VA......how old are you?
37, I have a wife who's American. All my in laws and friends who live in the US and a kid, who coincidentally went to the dentist yesterday free of charge.

In 13 years you will see how bad your healthcare is.......when they start to deny you care.....and likely sooner since the NHS is out of money...

And in the government systems...in particular Britain, tests are not given and drugs aren't given simply because of bureaucratic decisions, and cost cutting......and a lack of empathy by the clock punching Doctors.....
I have first and second hand experiences in a government system and the US system. Which I suspect is more then you can say. So I can say you don't know what you are talking about.

37, I have a wife who's American. All my in laws and friends who live in the US and a kid, who coincidentally went to the dentist yesterday free of charge.

In 13 years you will see how bad your healthcare is.......when they start to deny you care.....and likely sooner since the NHS is out of money...
I'm not British 2aguy. That's why I said this
That's why generalizations are always dangerous.

Breast surgeon Ian Paterson jailed for 15 years for carrying out needless operations

This character must be one of the most wicked individuals to walk the earth. Telling patients that they have cancer in order to profit from the surgery.

But this is what can happen when the profit motive is introduced into any sphere. Patersons victims were customers of Spire Health a private tax dodging health chain.

On the day that consultant surgeon Ian Stuart Paterson, 59, was sentenced to 15 years in prison, victims vowed to continue to fight for compensation and called for private healthcare providers to put “patients before profits”. Lawyers for hundreds of additional victims have called for new laws to give private patients the same protection provided by the NHS.

Do you see instances of profiteering in the American Health System which is the most expensive in the world ?

What makes something a right? The typical liberal answer is that rights are whatever government says they are. If our government hasn't said healthcare is a right, then what is your basis for claiming that it is?

Well the IUD part of it.Although it solely stems from my wives experiences points to a systemic problem were the most effective treatment of a problem is ignored in favor of more expensive solutions. The same can be said for the opioid problem that seems too not make medical sense. If a drug is addictive, why push it if their are non addictive alternatives?
My wife is a nurse and I had to ask her about opioids. Its not a thing over here.
Opioid Epidemic: A State by State Look at a National Crisis
That's the info I found. I think it stems from 2 different approaches to pain. I've got a tendency to manage pain to a tolerable level. My wife tends to want the pain gone. If that's true for the average American it would explain it a bit.

People in Britain die all the time while they are on lists waiting for treatment.

There aren't any alternatives. I've tried the non narcotic pain killers, and they just don't work.

A

People in Britain die all the time while they are on lists waiting for treatment.
And people die in the US because they can't afford tests. Something that happened to the mother of a friend of my. Who didn't get her cancer diagnosed in time because she couldn't afford to go to the doctor when she started feeling bad. Furthermore I'M NOT BRITISH. I can speak for my socialized medicine, not the British one.

A

And people die in the US because they can't afford tests. Something that happened to the mother of a friend of my. Who didn't get her cancer diagnosed in time because she couldn't afford to go to the doctor when she started feeling bad. Furthermore I'M NOT BRITISH. I can speak for my socialized medicine, not the British one.

All of the socialized medical systems are running out of money.....and if those countries actually had to provide for their own militaries.....actual militaries to defend their people....they would already be out of money...

There aren't any alternatives. I've tried the non narcotic pain killers, and they just don't work.
Yes there are. For instance the reason I'm typing this late is because I've just had my carpel tunnel syndrome operated upon last week. I went in at 7am, got some ibuprofen, got operated upon at 8,30am. Got some more ibuprofen at 11am. Was out of the hospital at 12,30. And was in considerable albeit manageable discomfort for a few days.

A

All of the socialized medical systems are running out of money.....and if those countries actually had to provide for their own militaries.....actual militaries to defend their people....they would already be out of money...
They call what you just said an assumption. How do you know the Belgian medical system is running out of money? What you are spouting is rhetoric not facts. This whole OP was started by someone who wanted examples of for profit health care putting money before its patients. I provided those. Then you came in saying government run healthcare sucks. Which I then disproved at least from the standpoint of my country. Now you are trying to make a case for it being unsustainable. Unlike you I don't claim to know stuff I don't, so you might be right. Having said that this is what I do know. The US has the most expensive healthcare in the world per capita.List of countries by total health expenditure per capita - Wikipedia For about twice the money you get less quality then me if you are a low or mid income American. The same demographics that puts stress on my health care system exists in the US. So whose health care system is going to suck more in the future considering those facts?

Last edited:
There is already massive fraud in the medicaid system we have.

Dental offices bus in ghetto rats, perform completely unnecessary and expensive dental procedures on them, because the checks will always come.

Yet we have bed wetters who want to copy your euroweenie bullshit here. I don't know why they just can go there and stay with you.

"There is already massive fraud in the medicaid system we have."

But there is even more massive fraud in the private insurance industry. So that's a dumb point.

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience of the NHS.

Nope...I just read the stories in the British news..........and then I read about our government healthcare system...the Veteran's Administration.......how about all those who want government healthcare go there for treatment...get to see real government healthcare in action....
Oh...pardon me...I thought you must have first-hand knowledge...you seem to know so much about it.
Especially those non-empathetic clock-punching doctors and the bureaucrats getting involved in clinical decisions...they sound just awful.

A

What a load of garbage. No, they aren't out of money, and they maintain more than adequate "defense". We pay for OFFENSE, not defense. There is no existential threat to America.

What makes something a right? The typical liberal answer is that rights are whatever government says they are. If our government hasn't said healthcare is a right, then what is your basis for claiming that it is?
It's also why you can "get a second opinion" in a free market system.

BTW, why would anyone become a doctor unless they were going to make some money? Isn't that really the point of doing anything?

In the UK you can get any number of opinions that you want.
It's also why you can "get a second opinion" in a free market system.

BTW, why would anyone become a doctor unless they were going to make some money? Isn't that really the point of doing anything?

You can get any number of opinions in the UK. Why would you think otherwise ?

BTW most Doctors I know do it to help people. Its a strange concept.

With you regularly telling us about gangs of armed criminals roaming freely around the British landscape preying on the helpless population and the failing healthcare system unable or unwilling to patch up the inevitable victims it must look like the Day Of The Dead over there.

With you regularly telling us about gangs of armed criminals roaming freely around the British landscape preying on the helpless population and the failing healthcare system unable or unwilling to patch up the inevitable victims it must look like the Day Of The Dead over there.

Not me.....I just print the statistics from the British government.....

And now this....the NHS has it's own doctor problems.........without the profit motive....

Ian Paterson: Spire Healthcare to pay out £27.2m to victims of rogue breast surgeon

A

What a load of garbage. No, they aren't out of money, and they maintain more than adequate "defense". We pay for OFFENSE, not defense. There is no existential threat to America.
A

Less than 5 seconds to find this...numb nuts....

NHS 'penniless', with nearly half of hospitals forced to axe or postpone surgery

British Medical Association chair Dr Mark Porter said: “The money has run out. This is a disgraceful failure of our patients.”

Operations across half the country now face the axe due to cutbacks.

Health professionals spoke out as operations across half the country face cancellation or delays due to Theresa May ’s cuts, according to health charity The King’s Fund. That means many patients needing surgery such as knee or hip replacements will be left in agony.

A

5 seconds to find this too....

Britain's 'withered' armed forces can NOT defend us against Russia, says ex-defence chief | Daily Mail Online

Britain's armed forces would not be able to protect the country from a full-scale attack by Russia, the recently retired commander of Joint Forces Command has warned.

Good thing they have the United States protecting them...so they can spend all their money on government hand outs....

Not me.....I just print the statistics from the British government.....

And now this....the NHS has it's own doctor problems.........without the profit motive....

Ian Paterson: Spire Healthcare to pay out £27.2m to victims of rogue breast surgeon
Wow I guess you need another reminder "I'M NOT BRITISH". I don't know how to make it clearer. I speak for my government system, I can speak for at least the health care in the state of NY and statistics like this one.List of countries by total health expenditure per capita - Wikipedia. This says the American system is more then twice as expensive.While at the same time being less inclusive, less available and less comprehensive for low and mid income households. As to your claim it's unsustainable. The reason there's pressure on our system is that our populace is growing older. This increases costs while at the same time decreasing the available healthy people to fund the system. Guess what, the same is happening in the US. Only difference is that the US system already sucked and you are already twice as expensive.

Forum List

Back