Health Nazis and Outdoor Smoking Ban

I don't smoke but I think this is pathetic. Any one remember the days when Americans were free?

*Hums the Beatles 'Revolution' quietly to herself*

I might support a ban in woodland areas IF it was shown that discarded butts caused a disproportionate number of fires.

Smoking is deleterious to ones health, but people can commit slow agonizing suicide that way, the only real objection is the degree to which tobacco companies STILL target children with their advertising (without new children taking up smoking the industry would soon run out of consumers, though running out of consumption might take longer)

It's just getting ridiculous. Give it a rest, outdoors in millions of cubic feet of atmosphere, second hand smoke is doing nothing to you.

So then why are so many people irritated by it if it does nothing to them?

It stinks. It serves no purpose. No one likes it. It needs to stop. End of story.

because they are assholes. Fuck them, I don't like certain cologns, perfumes that serve no purpose, its called society. Fuck do I care what yolu do or don't like, welcome to the world where you live with other people.

The bill is unconstitutional. The state parks and the National parks are for everyone. Allocations must be made so that all can enjoy the parks. If allotments can be made for for snowmobiler's, allotments can be made for smokers. For the record, I am a nonsmoker. :neutral:

It says no smoking in designated areas of parks. Not the entire park.
You like cigarette butts in the sand on the beach? Many seem to think the beach is their ashtray.
How many throw their butts out the car window? Fires?
Smokers are often their own worst enemies as far as non smoking rules go.

I am a smoker but always controlled my butts. But as I observed most do not.
FL has special little machines to clean the cig butts from the sand.
Who do you suppose pays for that?

How many people throw all kinds of garbage on the beach. Let's ban everything at the beach, people may be irresponsible and not clean up after themselves

Reporting from Sacramento - State lawmakers adopted one of the nation's most far-reaching regulations of tobacco use Monday, approving a bill to outlaw smoking at 278 state parks and beaches.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has not said publicly whether he will sign the measure, which would allow a fine of up to $100 for smoking at a state beach or in a designated section of a state park.

Assembly approves smoking ban at state parks and beaches - latimes.com

Here we go...

How is the right of someone who smokes more important than the right of a child with a lung condition who wants to go to the beach but cant because the cigarette smoke would make them sick.

Fresh air is the right of this child and the smoker can walk back to their car to have a cig.
ghive me a break, the kid can't go to the beach, that's a pretty lame fabricated argument. What about all the smog the kid breaths in and all the other shit. So should the entire world cater to people who's kids have sensitivities to things? Should we ban peanut butter in public places. I mean come on

The bill is unconstitutional. The state parks and the National parks are for everyone. Allocations must be made so that all can enjoy the parks. If allotments can be made for for snowmobiler's, allotments can be made for smokers. For the record, I am a nonsmoker. :neutral:

You like cigarette butts in the sand on the beach? Many seem to think the beach is their ashtray.

How many people throw all kinds of garbage on the beach. Let's ban everything at the beach, people may be irresponsible and not clean up after themselves

People are pigs.

But in the world of litter, cigarette butts are probably one of the least offensive when you consider some of the crap human pigs leave behind like beer cans, plastic soda bottles, and McDonalds wrappers.

Not that I'm condoning it, mind you. I believe litttering should carry hefty fines and extensive community service.

The problem is that once passed these kinds of laws will spill over into other liberal states and then to all states and before we know it

I don't know about the state you live in but in Louisiana we make our own laws, California doesn't make them for us and laws don't just "spill" into our state.

just like seat belt laws they will be nation wide and there won't be a damned thing anyone can do about it.

If you don't think seatbelt laws are a good idea I'd encourage you to drive as often as possible at high speed without wearing one. On a private road of course, I wouldn't want you to break the law.

The problem is that once passed these kinds of laws will spill over into other liberal states and then to all states and before we know it

I don't know about the state you live in but in Louisiana we make our own laws, California doesn't make them for us and laws don't just "spill" into our state.

just like seat belt laws they will be nation wide and there won't be a damned thing anyone can do about it.

If you don't think seatbelt laws are a good idea I'd encourage you to drive as often as possible at high speed without wearing one. On a private road of course, I wouldn't want you to break the law.

When California instituted the seat belt law, I swore I would never wear one. I had a nurse before that happened tell me that had I been wearing one when I rolled my 4X4 that I would probably have broken my neck. Granted she would probably be fired for saying that today, but she said it.

Of course, I wimped out on that oath and started wearing mine when I decided that the cost of non-compliance to that law was greater than I was willing to pay for being a rebel and now I don't even think twice about clicking my belt. It has become second nature.

A good idea? Even if it is a good idea, it is still an intrusion against our individual rights.

I was adamantly opposed to the Patriot Act, yet, I can see that it is a good idea to defend our country against terrorists. Just because something is a good idea does not mean that I think it should be forced on us.

Pretty soon we are going to have to send a request to Washington in order to be allowed to wipe our asses. There will come a time when we are going to have to stand up and defend our rights (even the right to smoke, which I find downright disgusting) or we will wake up and find that one party or the other has eliminated all the rights that our soldiers have fought for, died for and defended for the last 230 odd years.

Immie

When California instituted the seat belt law, I swore I would never wear one. I had a nurse before that happened tell me that had I been wearing one when I rolled my 4X4 that I would probably have broken my neck. Granted she would probably be fired for saying that today, but she said it.

Clearly, a single anecdotal occurrence like this totally disproves decades of mounds of statistical evidence, and it is almost certain that if you get in another wreck, again it will be the extremely rare situation where you're better off without a belt.

Of course, I wimped out on that oath and started wearing mine when I decided that the cost of non-compliance to that law was greater than I was willing to pay for being a rebel and now I don't even think twice about clicking my belt. It has become second nature.

See. Government can sometimes stop you from being an idiot.

A good idea? Even if it is a good idea, it is still an intrusion against our individual rights.

???? I'm sorry, but where in the Constitution does it state I have the right to utilized the public transportation system in any manner I please ???? I seriously had no idea government didn't have the right to regulate the use of roads that it builds.

Pretty soon we are going to have to send a request to Washington in order to be allowed to wipe our asses.

I don't really see the connection between being required to wear a safety belt when utilizing public roads and asking permission to wipe my ass.

Last edited:

Clearly, a single anecdotal occurrence like this totally disproves decades of mounds of statistical evidence, and it is almost certain that if you get in another wreck, again it will be the extremely rare situation where you're better off without a belt.

See. Government can sometimes stop you from being an idiot.

???? I'm sorry, but where in the Constitution does it state I have the right to utilized the public transportation system in any manner I please ???? I seriously had no idea government didn't have the right to regulate the use of roads that it builds.

Pretty soon we are going to have to send a request to Washington in order to be allowed to wipe our asses.

I don't really see the connection between being required to wear a safety belt when utilizing public roads and asking permission to wipe my ass.

Okay, you have a point and I can't think of any comebacks at the moment so for the time being, I'm going to leave it at that.

You have not, however, convinced me that individual rights need not be defended or that this issue is not an example of the suppression of individual rights or that we need not defend rights that we don't particularly like.

Immie

Is everyone in this thread a resident of California?

Because I fail to see how this many people from OUTSIDE of California could give a crap about how they govern themselves.

These are the laws I care about-

laws of my city
laws of my state
laws of my country

I don't give a flip how the people in Baton Rouge choose to govern themselves nor do I care how the people of California choose to govern themselves.

The problem is that once passed these kinds of laws will spill over into other liberal states and then to all states and before we know it, just like seat belt laws they will be nation wide and there won't be a damned thing anyone can do about it.

Immie

Seat belt law is a good law.
Let us say you are driving your car and another vehicle side swipes you and you are not wearing your seat belt. The impact throws you into the passenger seat and you lose control of the wheel as a result of you not wearing your seat belt. Your vehicle, under no control because you were not wearing your seat belt, goes forward 400 feet and hits another vehicle killing 2 people.
All avoided if you had your seat belt on and had control of your vehicle.
Motorcycle helmet law is a bad law. Anyone stupid enough to drive a murdercycle deserves what they get.

In my state if you drive a car that was built before seat belts were required you do not have to wear seatbelts.

But it is just plain dumb not to wear seat belts.

Is everyone in this thread a resident of California?

Because I fail to see how this many people from OUTSIDE of California could give a crap about how they govern themselves.
You should give a crap....California is controlled by the democrat party and unions. Look at the state of the state. Our country is now being guided by the same leftist mind-set. Our great union is headed in the same downward spiral as Ca.

Those who fail to learn from history....

It stinks. It serves no purpose. No one likes it. It needs to stop. End of story.
These reasons you give to curtail someone's freedom can be applied to many things. I suppose freedom isn't important to some until it affects there own personal choices

The biggest joke is you can sit off the coast of CA on a ship and see this big orangish turd of smoke following I-5 all the way up the coast where all those leftwingnut progressive morons drive their Mercedes and Beemers to work.

Yet the in denial twits want to blame a cigarette ....:cuckoo:
I remember the first time I traveled west to LA with a delivery some 25 years ago, crossed the mountains, and beheld the huge rust colored dome over the city; I distinctly remember saying to myself, and I gotta breath that shit? :disbelief:

Uh huh. But it's the cigarette that'll kill you ...; dontcha know?:cuckoo:
Ah huh, even though I don't smoke, chances are it might get me anyway; lung cancer among non-smokers is significantly on the rise and they don't know why. My answer to them is; it don't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out! :eusa_whistle:

Back in the 90's I added up all the stated causes of lung cancer and percentages and found they totaled about 600%.

It has been found that children that live in high vehicle traffic areas such as next to a freeway in an urban setting have stunted lungs, asthma, etc in rates vastly exceeding the norms.

They passed that crap in my city.
They realized it was stupid, so they don't enforce it.

It's just getting ridiculous. Give it a rest, outdoors in millions of cubic feet of atmosphere, second hand smoke is doing nothing to you.

So then why are so many people irritated by it if it does nothing to them?

because they are assholes. Fuck them, I don't like certain cologns, perfumes that serve no purpose, its called society. Fuck do I care what yolu do or don't like, welcome to the world where you live with other people.
That's what I say to inconsiderate smokers. :lol:

People are pigs.

But in the world of litter, cigarette butts are probably one of the least offensive when you consider some of the crap human pigs leave behind like beer cans, plastic soda bottles, and McDonalds wrappers.

Not that I'm condoning it, mind you. I believe litttering should carry hefty fines and extensive community service.
What about cigarette butts that are still lit? Why do people do that?

People are pigs.

I worked in a city park with a homeless problem, you should of seen the stuff I found.
My biggest issue with littering, is women who litter their used tampons. :(

Forum List

Back