Heat to soar to record levels in next 5 years.

Everyone could have seen this coming.

The News

Global temperatures are likely to soar to record highs over the next five years, driven by human-caused warming and a climate pattern known as El Niño, forecasters at the World Meteorological Organization said on Wednesday.

The record for Earth’s hottest year was set in 2016. There is a 98 percent chance that at least one of the next five years will exceed that, the forecasters said, while the average from 2023 to ’27 will almost certainly be the warmest for a five-year period ever recorded.

Why It Matters: Every fraction of a degree brings new risks.

Even small increases in warming can exacerbate the dangers from heat waves, wildfires, drought and other calamities, scientists say. Elevated global temperatures in 2021 helped fuel a heat wave in the Pacific Northwest that shattered local records and killed hundreds of people.

El Niño conditions can cause further turmoil by shifting global precipitation patterns. The meteorological organization said it expected increased summer rainfall over the next five years in places like Northern Europe and the Sahel in sub-Saharan Africa and reduced rainfall in the Amazon and parts of Australia.

The organization reported that there is also a two thirds chance that one of the next five years could be 1.5 degrees Celsius, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit, hotter than the 19th-century average.

That does not mean that the world will have officially breached the aspirational goal in the Paris climate agreement of holding global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius. When scientists talk about that temperature goal, they generally mean a longer-term average over, say, two decades in order to root out the influence of natural variability.

Many world leaders have insisted on the 1.5-degree limit to keep the risks of climate change to tolerable levels. But nations have delayed so long in making the monumental changes necessary to achieve this goal, such as drastically cutting fossil-fuel emissions, that scientists now think the world will probably exceed that threshold around the early 2030s.

Background: La Niña, a cooling influence, is on the way out.

Global average temperatures have already increased roughly 1.1 degrees Celsius since the 19th century, largely because humans keep burning fossil fuels and pumping heat-trapping gases like carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

But while that overall upward trend is clear, global temperatures can bounce up and down a bit from year to year because of natural variability. For instance, a cyclical phenomenon in the Pacific Ocean, the El Niño-Southern Oscillation, causes year-to-year fluctuations by shifting heat in and out of deeper ocean layers. Global surface temperatures tend to be somewhat cooler during La Niña years and somewhat hotter during El Niño years.

The last record hot year, 2016, was an El Niño year. By contrast, La Niña conditions have dominated for much of the past three years: while they’ve been unusually warm, they were still slightly below 2016 levels. Now, scientists are expecting El Niño conditions to return later this summer. When combined with steadily rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, that will most likely cause temperatures to accelerate to new highs.

Pay wall

Oh? Where am I cheering on the fraud? You're an idiot. I have pointed out for over a decade on this forum that CO2 is not a problem. That globull warming claims are a fraud.

I just happen to use evidence to back up my claims.
Bullshit.

Everyone could have seen this coming.

The News

Global temperatures are likely to soar to record highs over the next five years, driven by human-caused warming and a climate pattern known as El Niño, forecasters at the World Meteorological Organization said on Wednesday.

The record for Earth’s hottest year was set in 2016. There is a 98 percent chance that at least one of the next five years will exceed that, the forecasters said, while the average from 2023 to ’27 will almost certainly be the warmest for a five-year period ever recorded.

Why It Matters: Every fraction of a degree brings new risks.

Even small increases in warming can exacerbate the dangers from heat waves, wildfires, drought and other calamities, scientists say. Elevated global temperatures in 2021 helped fuel a heat wave in the Pacific Northwest that shattered local records and killed hundreds of people.

El Niño conditions can cause further turmoil by shifting global precipitation patterns. The meteorological organization said it expected increased summer rainfall over the next five years in places like Northern Europe and the Sahel in sub-Saharan Africa and reduced rainfall in the Amazon and parts of Australia.

The organization reported that there is also a two thirds chance that one of the next five years could be 1.5 degrees Celsius, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit, hotter than the 19th-century average.

That does not mean that the world will have officially breached the aspirational goal in the Paris climate agreement of holding global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius. When scientists talk about that temperature goal, they generally mean a longer-term average over, say, two decades in order to root out the influence of natural variability.

Many world leaders have insisted on the 1.5-degree limit to keep the risks of climate change to tolerable levels. But nations have delayed so long in making the monumental changes necessary to achieve this goal, such as drastically cutting fossil-fuel emissions, that scientists now think the world will probably exceed that threshold around the early 2030s.

Background: La Niña, a cooling influence, is on the way out.

Global average temperatures have already increased roughly 1.1 degrees Celsius since the 19th century, largely because humans keep burning fossil fuels and pumping heat-trapping gases like carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

But while that overall upward trend is clear, global temperatures can bounce up and down a bit from year to year because of natural variability. For instance, a cyclical phenomenon in the Pacific Ocean, the El Niño-Southern Oscillation, causes year-to-year fluctuations by shifting heat in and out of deeper ocean layers. Global surface temperatures tend to be somewhat cooler during La Niña years and somewhat hotter during El Niño years.

The last record hot year, 2016, was an El Niño year. By contrast, La Niña conditions have dominated for much of the past three years: while they’ve been unusually warm, they were still slightly below 2016 levels. Now, scientists are expecting El Niño conditions to return later this summer. When combined with steadily rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, that will most likely cause temperatures to accelerate to new highs.

Funny, I’ve got articles from 1985 saying that too.

Bullshit.
Gullible sheeple.
IMG_3910.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: EMH
Your logic here is bullshit. You aren't the president. Telling you that you do not need a gun does not mean that the president doesn't require guards. Advice arising from hard science is not refuted by the choices of Hollywood celebrities, billionaires or presidents. The people who went to parties during the COVID pandemic were simply stupid, as their infection rates clearly demonstrate.

If you want to reject the science behind AGW, you need to deal with the science supporting AGW. This doesn't do it.

Your logic here is bullshit. You aren't the president. Telling you that you do not need a gun does not mean that the president doesn't require guards. Advice arising from hard science is not refuted by the choices of Hollywood celebrities, billionaires or presidents. The people who went to parties during the COVID pandemic were simply stupid, as their infection rates clearly demonstrate.

If you want to reject the science behind AGW, you need to deal with the science supporting AGW. This doesn't do it.
From a CBS report in 2006, “Politicians and corporations have been ignoring the issue for decades, to the point that unless drastic measures to reduce greenhouse gases are taken within the next 10 years, the world will reach a point of no return, Gore said.”

That “point of no return” was 7 years ago, yet prophets of The Sustainable Organic Church of the Carbon Apocalypse keep re-setting the drop-dead date to another dooms-date in the future.
IMG_4072.jpeg
IMG_4073.jpeg
IMG_4074.jpeg
IMG_4075.jpeg
IMG_4076.jpeg
IMG_4077.jpeg
IMG_4078.jpeg

I don't disagree that specific predictions about specific events in specific years backfires and hurts the credibility of those who are concerned about the environment. I'd rather they not do this.

But what's undeniable is that atmospheric warming has increased as human industrial activity and GHG release has increased. The graphs are out there, so I'm not going to waste my time 'proving' it to you.

I don't disagree that specific predictions about specific events in specific years backfires and hurts the credibility of those who are concerned about the environment. I'd rather they not do this.

But what's undeniable is that atmospheric warming has increased as human industrial activity and GHG release has increased. The graphs are out there, so I'm not going to waste my time 'proving' it to you.
It’s what happens when ice ages end.
Call me when you understand what the Maunder Minimum was.

It’s what happens when ice ages end.

The last ice age ended over 20,000 years ago. The warming since then is well-documented and not generally in question. The speed at which global mean temperatures is rising is something that hasn't happened in the last 25,000 years

Call me when you understand what the Maunder Minimum was.

That has fuck all to do with current atmospheric conditions - you're just throwing random crap terms out there, trying to look smart, but you're not fooling anyone.

The last ice age ended over 20,000 years ago. The warming since then is well-documented and not generally in question. The speed at which global mean temperatures is rising is something that hasn't happened in the last 25,000 years

That has fuck all to do with current atmospheric conditions - you're just throwing random crap terms out there, trying to look smart, but you're not fooling anyone.
Wrong again.

The Effects of the Little Ice Age (c. 1300-1850)​

After you educate yourself on what the Maunder Minimum was, tell us why the Glacier Bay glacier in Alaska receded 60 miles in 90 years during the 1800’s.

Where’s the crisis?
IMG_4079.jpeg

The News

Well maybe cutoff jean shorts and tank tops might make a comeback.

Wrong again.

The Effects of the Little Ice Age (c. 1300-1850)​

After you educate yourself on what the Maunder Minimum was, tell us why the Glacier Bay glacier in Alaska receded 60 miles in 90 years during the 1800’s.

Nice attempt to look smart, but if you were you'd know that the Little Ice Age isn't considered an ice age. It wasn't global. The last global ice age ended around 20,000 years ago, so take the Maunder Minimum and shove it up your ass, you ignorant cvnt.

Nice attempt to look smart, but if you were you'd know that the Little Ice Age isn't considered an ice age. It wasn't global. The last global ice age ended around 20,000 years ago, so take the Maunder Minimum and shove it up your ass, you ignorant cvnt.
Hilarious!
You didn’t even know about the Maunder Minimum, now think it was a local event, and you’re lecturing us about climate!

And yes, it was an ice age.

Hilarious!
You didn’t even know about the Maunder Minimum,

Maunder Minimum is, at best, a hypothesis. It is not universally accepted as the causal factor for the colder winters between 14th and 18th Centuries.

now think it was a local event, and you’re lecturing us about climate!

I didn't say it was local; I said it wasn't global, meaning it wasn't a global ice age in the scientifically-understood sense. The last one of those ended about 20,000 or so years ago. A period of global cooling maybe, but not an ice age. No ice sheets across Europe. No ice sheet land bridge connecting Siberia with Alaska.

And yes, it was an ice age.

In your head, maybe.

Maunder Minimum is, at best, a hypothesis. It is not universally accepted as the causal factor for the colder winters between 14th and 18th Centuries.

I didn't say it was local; I said it wasn't global, meaning it wasn't a global ice age in the scientifically-understood sense. The last one of those ended about 20,000 or so years ago. A period of global cooling maybe, but not an ice age. No ice sheets across Europe. No ice sheet land bridge connecting Siberia with Alaska.

In your head, maybe.
Maunder Minimum is an hypothesis!!!
But manmade Gorebal Warming is real!

Why do you Leftards hate science so much?

And yes, the Little Ice Age was a global real event, Maunder Minimum is a scientific fact, and the glacier I mentioned receded 60 miles in just 90 years. In the 1800’s.

A real stumper for you: what’s a woman?

Maunder Minimum is an hypothesis!!!
But manmade Gorebal Warming is real!

Why do you Leftards hate science so much?

And yes, the Little Ice Age was a global real event, Maunder Minimum is a scientific fact, and the glacier I mentioned receded 60 miles in just 90 years. In the 1800’s.

A real stumper for you: what’s a woman?

797hpr.jpg

Forum List

Back