Heat to soar to record levels in next 5 years.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm personally not a fan of specific short-term predictions about specific weather events, specific climate outcomes, in specific years or by specific datelines. Most credible climate/environmental scientists and casual environmental observes like me know that that's needlessly setting one's self up to be discredited or dismissed. If I say that glacier X is going to collapse by 2030, even if it actually does, in fact, happen by say 2032 or 2035, even, the anti-science trolls can say that we lied or we were way wrong. I don't generally play that game. It's not necessary.

I would agree.

I am afraid those like Al Gore have managed to kill off a lot of credibility for just this reason.
What is generally true is that climate is changing now, and that change is caused largely by human industrial activity. I am sure that there are other natural forces either mitigating or exacerbating these changes. Solar activity, for example, seems to have increased as of late. There was that massive volcanic eruption in Tonga last year. These things happen all the time and they're not to be dismissed, and scientists don't dismiss them.

While I don't toally agree with your statement, there is no reason to ignore the fact that we should be prepping for changes we might not even be anticipating.
But none of that changes the reality that massive amounts of human waste product are now likely going to remain in the atmosphere for centuries and this will all but guarantee significant warming effect -- there is little disagreement among credible scientists about this. What scientists still debate is exactly when the worst impacts will occur, what they will be, and how humanity can prepare or mitigate.

Whatever the cause, we have now been through enough to know that things change. We should be having that disccussion.
Right, and of course that leaves skeptics or anti-science trolls to come up with their own definitions. It's a game to them, I guess. It will become less of a game once the price of food and energy soars, and they will probably soar at the same time. Arizonans should have some shocking electric bills in the months ahead, and businesses will pass those onto the consumer.

Well, there is a lot that isn't explained. And so, it seems we should all keep an open mind.

Here in Arizona, our electricity bills are probably going to be a little higher. But not by much. Contrary to the ridiculous articles that are out there, things are pretty normal here. We've just gone a little longer between breaks.

Mars' weather is not changing in the same manner.
Mars polar ice caps are melting faster.

1690678392807.gif

I don’t believe it does guarantee that.

I don't care what you believe or don't believe. Physics is physics, and climate scientists/observers have the data. It's easy to Google if you're interested, but I've never met a climate skeptic who was interested in much beyond sealioning, so I'm not going to waste my time trying to prove it to you. Believe what you want.

You didn’t even quantify what significant means.

No, because that requires an operational definition and we'd probably not even agree on what that means.

The planet has been in an ice age for 3 million years with only brief warm intervals like today.

No, it hasn't. The last ice age ended 20,000 years ago.

How can you say carbon is ending up in places it shouldn’t?

Because carbon that has been lying in the ground since the Carboniferous period (300 mln years ago) is being pumped out of the ground by the millions of tons, and the waste product ends up in our atmosphere. This excess carbon cannot be absorbed by natural carbon sink processes, and will remain in the atmosphere for hundreds of years, unless we create some sort of system for removing it and putting it back into the ground. Scientists are working on that now and have some prototypes that are already being used, but not nearly on the scale that is required to make up for 75-100 years of modern global industrialization.

Because carbon that has been lying in the ground since the Carboniferous period (300 mln years ago) is being pumped out of the ground by the millions of tons, and the waste product ends up in our atmosphere. This excess carbon cannot be absorbed by natural carbon sink processes, and will remain in the atmosphere for hundreds of years, unless we create some sort of system for removing it and putting it back into the ground. Scientists are working on that now and have some prototypes that are already being used, but not nearly on the scale that is required to make up for 75-100 years of modern global industrialization.
CO2 was higher during the period life was most prolific.
Why do you hate living things?

I don't care what you believe or don't believe. Physics is physics, and climate scientists/observers have the data. It's easy to Google if you're interested, but I've never met a climate skeptic who was interested in much beyond sealioning, so I'm not going to waste my time trying to prove it to you. Believe what you want.

No, because that requires an operational definition and we'd probably not even agree on what that means.

No, it hasn't. The last ice age ended 20,000 years ago.
Try 130 years ago when the Little Ice Age ended.
Guess what happened relating to its end?
Warming.

Bingo.

I don't care what you believe or don't believe. Physics is physics, and climate scientists/observers have the data. It's easy to Google if you're interested, but I've never met a climate skeptic who was interested in much beyond sealioning, so I'm not going to waste my time trying to prove it to you. Believe what you want. No, because that requires an operational definition and we'd probably not even agree on what that means. No, it hasn't. The last ice age ended 20,000 years ago.
I didn't ask you to care what I believe. I am disagreeing with you on the grounds of empirical climate data which you have never looked at. I know this because you don't understand that the ice age and glacial cycles are two different things. The ice age began 3 million years ago when the planet transitioned from a greenhouse planet to an icehouse planet. During this time there have been ~30 glacial/interglacial cycles. The planet is presently in an interglacial period. Why don't you take some time and go learn this history? Because it's ridiculous for you to have such a strong opinion on the earth's climate without having a fundamental understanding of earth's climate.

So there shouldn't be any CO2 in the atmosphere?

Oh the irony that I started this thread in May, and 2 months later, we have the hottest month in recorded world history.

And still the sheep shriek "The climate is always changing!"

Little Ice Age =/= Ice Age. I've explained this to you before, but I can see your memory is short.

"Maunder Minimum" in 3...2....1...
Have you ever heard of the oxygen isotope curve? Do you know what it is? Do you know what it shows?

Do you see how the slope changes in the oxygen isotope curve correspond to glaciation events of the south and north poles?

F2.large.jpg

The following graphic is a side by side comparison of the oxygen isotope curve and the CO2 historical record. Next to a graphic showing the latitudinal thermal gradients of an icehouse world and a greenhouse world.

1673744930146.png

Oh the irony that I started this thread in May, and 2 months later, we have the hottest month in recorded world history.

And still the sheep shriek "The climate is always changing!"
Have you ever studied the historical record of the empirical climate data of the earth? I have.

It's pretty crazy that the OP believes it's fake news that the planet transitioned from a greenhouse planet to an icehouse planet.

odanny please watch this and educate yourself on the earth's climate history.

I didn't ask you to care what I believe. I am disagreeing with you on the grounds of empirical climate data which you have never looked at. I know this because you don't understand that the ice age and glacial cycles are two different things. The ice age began 3 million years ago when the planet transitioned from a greenhouse planet to an icehouse planet. During this time there have been ~30 glacial/interglacial cycles. The planet is presently in an interglacial period. Why don't you take some time and go learn this history? Because it's ridiculous for you to have such a strong opinion on the earth's climate without having a fundamental understanding of earth's climate.

Quaternary glaciation...and? What is your point? That this somehow refutes human-caused climate changes?

Forum List

Back