Help the Black community

I didn't equate a who farted shirt with whatever traditional African dress is. I wrote that there are times and places to wear certain outfits. I didn't define those cultural norms, they just are.

I didn't equate a who farted shirt with whatever traditional African dress is. I wrote that there are times and places to wear certain outfits. I didn't define those cultural norms, they just are.

I agree there is a time and place to wear certain outfits. I'm just pointing out that those that chose the standard have a Eurocentric view that excludes what others may feel is professional. You personally didn't set the standard but as you say "it is what it is". Thats exactly what I am speaking to. its just some concept that you don't care to understand how it impacts someone from a different culture. The subliminal or conscious message someone gets from another culture is that their style of dress is not up to par. Its embedded, unconscious racism.

Cultural norms, are cultural norms. I didn't set them, I don't have a say in them, they just are. But I also mentioned I can't get away with certain European historical garb in a boardroom either. My German relatives might get to wear lederhosen to Oktoberfest, but they don't get to wear them to apply for a bank loan and expect to be taken seriously.

Cultural norms, are cultural norms. I didn't set them, I don't have a say in them, they just are. But I also mentioned I can't get away with certain European historical garb in a boardroom either. My German relatives might get to wear lederhosen to Oktoberfest, but they don't get to wear them to apply for a bank loan and expect to be taken seriously.

i'm not blaming you personally. It seems you are getting defensive and thats not my intent. Cultural norms are created and marketed to us. These norms are defined by the group in power. Lets take it off of race. Why are some cars marketed as "luxury" cars and considered better than any other car. Both get you from point A to point B. Consciously or subliminally a Jag is deemed "better" than a Dodge Caravan. We are "racist" in our views toward the Dodge Caravan. Does that make sense?

Not really, because some cars are better than others, both objectively and in various situations. That Jag and that Caravan are both technically cars, but they are good for different purposes. You aren't going to take the kids on a camping trip in the Jag as easily as you would in a Caravan. Likewise, you aren't going to impress your date when you show up in a Caravan like you would in a Jag.

Even beyond that, other than cargo and passage capability, that Jag blows away the Caravan in every category. Speed, acceleration, braking, handling, fuel efficiency, that Jag just is a better car than the Caravan, and that price tag shows it.

1) Business dress has evolved into what it is. Certain situations call for certain costumes. I don't wear black ties and tails to a mosh pit and I don't wear torn jeans and a "Who farted?" shirt to court. Business dress has evolved to mean certain things are acceptable and other aren't. I can't wear a doublet and breeches or lederhosen to a board meeting and expect to be taken seriously any more than you can wear a dashiki or loin cloth and hope to be taken seriously, regardless of what our ancestors wore.

2) Pretty much every sitcom shows white males ad fuck ups and retards to play off as a joke. Tokens get to be the straight man. In dramas, there are any number of blacks who aren't just drug dealers and pimps. As far as why there aren't more black centric shows, I'd have to chalk it up to demographics and advertising power. Hollywood is only about one color: green

3) I'm not interested in empowerment or feelings or any of that touchy-feely nonsense. I'm interested in accuracy.

You are pretty much expressing a racist attitude right there. How are you equating traditional afrocentric dress to a "who farted?" shirt? Basically you are equating it with inferior dress. I noticed you avoided the question as to who set the standard. Business dress in the US has evolved to reflect a Eurocentric standard not a global standard. You also completely avoided addressing the hair style issue. What are your thoughts on that?

A sitcom is meant to be funny and an exaggeration of real life. Its funny to think of a Black person as being straight laced. Are you getting this? I dont watch TV that much but what I do see is most Blacks are portrayed in a negative light, having a negative past or trouble with moral or ethical issues. You are right about Hollywood liking green. Racism sells.

Most people understand we define ourselves through our history. if you dont know your history its like a tree without roots. If those roots consist of victimhood you end up with a weak root system. Why address this question at all if you don't care about it?

This first bit, I hate to say it but you're just being overly sensitive.

Number 1, he included in that list a who farted shirt, traditional afrocentric dress, and traditional German dress, and apparently dude's at least part German. If he's including his own race's traditional garb in the same comparison, how is it that you can feel disrespected on a racial level? He's shown as much respect for your peoples' tradition as he has for his own, after all.

Number 2, and again I hate to say this, but in terms of business attire in this country, wearing a loin cloth and dashiki to work (what an odd combo that would make!) is, for all intents and purposes, the same as wearing a who farted shirt to work. Neither one will fly.

By saying this, I am in no way saying that traditional afrocentric wear is just some goofy shit, as is a who farted shirt. I'm simply pointing out that neither is acceptable business attire in our culture.

You've made a lot of good points regarding imagery and promoting empowerment in stead of victimhood, but I gotta say. . . When oversensitivity leads to seeing racism in comparisons like this one, that in itself promotes victimhood.

I agree there is a time and place to wear certain outfits. I'm just pointing out that those that chose the standard have a Eurocentric view that excludes what others may feel is professional. You personally didn't set the standard but as you say "it is what it is". Thats exactly what I am speaking to. its just some concept that you don't care to understand how it impacts someone from a different culture. The subliminal or conscious message someone gets from another culture is that their style of dress is not up to par. Its embedded, unconscious racism.

If this level of unconscious racism is problematic for anyone, especially anyone born and raised in this country by people born and raised in this country, then I'm afraid that person is an emotional marshmallow who has much bigger issues to overcome than societal racism.

In the current financial world, traditional afrocentric dress is not considered business attire. This, on some levels, implies that traditional afrocentric dress is inferior to the Eurocentric attire that is considered business formal or business casual, at least in the financial world. You could take this as racist, or you could look at all the other sorts of garb that are considered similarly inferior. Here's a short list.

Traditional German attire

Traditional Greek attire

Traditional Spanish attire

Traditional Hawaiian attire (and, as a Hawaiian, I've never experienced even the slightest bit of emotional distress over this)

Traditional Brazilian attire

Traditional Native American attire

Colonial American attire (I'd love to show up to work with frilly cuffs, tight capri-length slacks with white socks, and a powdered wig!)

I won't keep going and turn this into a Spishak commercial, I trust that point's made.

Next, I could almost see people from other cultures taking issue with the fact that our business attire's decided by Eurocentric tastes and values. . . almost. Quite frankly, though, you gotta accept at some point that you're living in a white-majority country and thusly, many of the country's standards are going to be decided by just such Eurocentric values. That's the way of the world, not just ol' racist America. The tastes and actions of the majority dictate the cultural norms. Literally everyone on the planet needs to learn to accept this, though most people have.

If I moved to Japan and they demanded that I wear a kimono to business meetings (and I know that wouldn't happen, just fishing for an example), that would in no way contribute to me feeling like I wasn't getting a fair shake in their society.

Last edited:
Not really, because some cars are better than others, both objectively and in various situations. That Jag and that Caravan are both technically cars, but they are good for different purposes. You aren't going to take the kids on a camping trip in the Jag as easily as you would in a Caravan. Likewise, you aren't going to impress your date when you show up in a Caravan like you would in a Jag.

Even beyond that, other than cargo and passage capability, that Jag blows away the Caravan in every category. Speed, acceleration, braking, handling, fuel efficiency, that Jag just is a better car than the Caravan, and that price tag shows it.

My point is that "better" is a subjective term. In this case the majority of people would take free Jag over a free Caravan because we are programmed to believe the Jag is better.

1) Business dress has evolved into what it is. Certain situations call for certain costumes. I don't wear black ties and tails to a mosh pit and I don't wear torn jeans and a "Who farted?" shirt to court. Business dress has evolved to mean certain things are acceptable and other aren't. I can't wear a doublet and breeches or lederhosen to a board meeting and expect to be taken seriously any more than you can wear a dashiki or loin cloth and hope to be taken seriously, regardless of what our ancestors wore.

2) Pretty much every sitcom shows white males ad fuck ups and retards to play off as a joke. Tokens get to be the straight man. In dramas, there are any number of blacks who aren't just drug dealers and pimps. As far as why there aren't more black centric shows, I'd have to chalk it up to demographics and advertising power. Hollywood is only about one color: green

3) I'm not interested in empowerment or feelings or any of that touchy-feely nonsense. I'm interested in accuracy.

You are pretty much expressing a racist attitude right there. How are you equating traditional afrocentric dress to a "who farted?" shirt? Basically you are equating it with inferior dress. I noticed you avoided the question as to who set the standard. Business dress in the US has evolved to reflect a Eurocentric standard not a global standard. You also completely avoided addressing the hair style issue. What are your thoughts on that?

A sitcom is meant to be funny and an exaggeration of real life. Its funny to think of a Black person as being straight laced. Are you getting this? I dont watch TV that much but what I do see is most Blacks are portrayed in a negative light, having a negative past or trouble with moral or ethical issues. You are right about Hollywood liking green. Racism sells.

Most people understand we define ourselves through our history. if you dont know your history its like a tree without roots. If those roots consist of victimhood you end up with a weak root system. Why address this question at all if you don't care about it?

Number 1, he included in that list a who farted shirt, traditional afrocentric dress, and traditional German dress, and apparently dude's at least part German. If he's including his own race's traditional garb in the same comparison, how is it that you can feel disrespected on a racial level? He's shown as much respect for your peoples' tradition as he has for his own, after all.

Number 2, and again I hate to say this, but in terms of business attire in this country, wearing a loin cloth and dashiki to work (what an odd combo that would make!) is, for all intents and purposes, the same as wearing a who farted shirt to work. Neither one will fly.

By saying this, I am in no way saying that traditional afrocentric wear is just some goofy shit, as is a who farted shirt. I'm simply pointing out that neither is acceptable business attire in our culture.

You've made a lot of good points regarding imagery and promoting empowerment in stead of victimhood, but I gotta say. . . When oversensitivity leads to seeing racism in comparisons like this one, that in itself promotes victimhood.

I dont think its a matter of sensitivity. I dont feel disrespected either. I'm just pointing out that saying one style of dress is ridiculous when compared with a European standard is racist. German is still considered European so the exclusion of a German specific outfit does not have quite the sting as it would to say a person from India.

Why is it that wearing a loin clothe and a dashiki wouldn't fly if that was traditional African business wear? Can you give me one good reason other than "thats just not the way things are done"? Left out of this is the ban on the Afrocentric hairstyles. if its not ingrained racism then what is it? Please dont confuse my questions as being emotional. I just want people to think of some real answers. If you want to write it off as being sensitive then you are not being honest in your discussion.

I dont think its a matter of sensitivity. I dont feel disrespected either. I'm just pointing out that saying one style of dress is ridiculous when compared with a European standard is racist. German is still considered European so the exclusion of a German specific outfit does not have quite the sting as it would to say a person from India.

Why is it that wearing a loin clothe and a dashiki wouldn't fly if that was traditional African business wear? Can you give me one good reason other than "thats just not the way things are done"? Left out of this is the ban on the Afrocentric hairstyles. if its not ingrained racism then what is it? Please dont confuse my questions as being emotional. I just want people to think of some real answers. If you want to write it off as being sensitive then you are not being honest in your discussion.

It definitely struck me as a sensitivity based position, but I'm willing to take you at your word, especially now that you've clarified a bit more. I'm definitely not the type to disregard an argument :)

As far as the clothing goes, I still don't see why you'd take it as an overall value judgement. The reason that this is how we do things here is that it's always been a European majority country and so its primarily European customs that have emerged. It's as simple as this: If you go to a foreign land and engage in formal functions, expect that to mean that you have to conform to their formal standards. When in rome. If you're from India and you feel a "sting" when you're told that you can't wear a sari to the board meeting, then I'm sorry, but you are indeed too sensitive. That's the way of the world and it has nothing to do with viewing others or their customs as inferior. If I wish someone a Merry Christmas, there's no unspoken implication that I think any less of Kwanza. It's just not the custom I practice because I didn't grow up anywhere where it was particularly common.

If you want to get down to it, I think -all- dress codes are silly on a philosophical level. Anything that doesn't affect a person's capacity to do their job or adversely affect those around them shouldn't even be taken into consideration (at least once they've established said capacity. When you're trying to decide who to hire based on a written ap and a single meeting, you kinda gotta go with an overall impression based on very little). If Mr. Accountant can bang out his numbers just as efficiently in some swim trunks and a bullet proof vest as he can in a business suit, then fuck it. I say let him wear it.

That said, stupid as I find most dress codes, one thing I don't see is any racial disparagement.

As far as the hair goes, same kinda thing. Whatever hair style you have, in most formal business settings, can't be too outlandish. If you sport an afro that's within certain proportions, I can't imagine there's a lot of problem in the workplace. If your afro stands a foot off your head and extends out past your shoulders, yeah, that might be a little outlandish for the business place. Not because of the texture, mind you, just the size.

Likewise, if I grew my hair out it'd look like Palomalu's shit in those shampoo commercials. Wouldn't fly in the board room.

Neither would a white guy's 18 inch Mohawk.

This has nothing to do with race, it has to do with big hair being distracting and off-putting, at least in the eyes of most of the business community. People of all races are expected to keep their hair styles low key and neat in the board room. If one takes that as a slight against their native culture, then, again, they are indeed overly sensitive.

It definitely struck me as a sensitivity based position, but I'm willing to take you at your word, especially now that you've clarified a bit more. I'm definitely not the type to disregard an argument :)

As far as the clothing goes, I still don't see why you'd take it as an overall value judgement. The reason that this is how we do things here is that it's always been a European majority country and so its primarily European customs that have emerged. It's as simple as this: If you go to a foreign land and engage in formal functions, expect that to mean that you have to conform to their formal standards. When in rome. If you're from India and you feel a "sting" when you're told that you can't wear a sari to the board meeting, then I'm sorry, but you are indeed too sensitive. That's the way of the world and it has nothing to do with viewing others or their customs as inferior. If I wish someone a Merry Christmas, there's no unspoken implication that I think any less of Kwanza. It's just not the custom I practice because I didn't grow up anywhere where it was particularly common.

If you want to get down to it, I think -all- dress codes are silly on a philosophical level. Anything that doesn't affect a person's capacity to do their job or adversely affect those around them shouldn't even be taken into consideration (at least once they've established said capacity. When you're trying to decide who to hire based on a written ap and a single meeting, you kinda gotta go with an overall impression based on very little). If Mr. Accountant can bang out his numbers just as efficiently in some swim trunks and a bullet proof vest as he can in a business suit, then fuck it. I say let him wear it.

That said, stupid as I find most dress codes, one thing I don't see is any racial disparagement.

As far as the hair goes, same kinda thing. Whatever hair style you have, in most formal business settings, can't be too outlandish. If you sport an afro that's within certain proportions, I can't imagine there's a lot of problem in the workplace. If your afro stands a foot off your head and extends out past your shoulders, yeah, that might be a little outlandish for the business place. Not because of the texture, mind you, just the size.

Likewise, if I grew my hair out it'd look like Palomalu's shit in those shampoo commercials. Wouldn't fly in the board room.

This has nothing to do with race, it has to do with big hair being distracting and off-putting, at least in the eyes of most of the business community. People of all races are expected to keep their hair styles low key and neat in the board room. If one takes that as a slight against their native culture, then, again, they are indeed overly sensitive.

I dont take it a a conscious value judgement in all cases. I do see it as a value judgement programmed into our societies thinking and constantly reinforced. The fact that this country was founded by Europeans is precisely my point. Those norms are ingrained in white societies way of thinking and there is no tolerance or understanding that other groups dont hold the same norms. Human nature dictates that you think "your way" is the right way or you wouldnt be able to rationalize your position to yourself.

As far as hair goes I'm speaking about dreds or braids more so than Afros. Those are very Afrocentric hair styles while your example of a mohawk cuts across all races. i wouldnt be surprised to find any race with a mohawk. i would be very surprised to see say an Asian with cornrows. I dont take it as a slight unless I see the disdain. Why you consider that overly sensitive is a curiosity to me. If I showed disdain for white men with male pattern baldness not just shaving off all their hair would you consider that a racial slight? Its very distracting and off putting.

Anyone who, in a business setting, departs from established norms for appearance does so for the purpose of calling attention to his personal characteristics, be it race, sex, religion, orientation, etc. You can't legitimately claim discrimination by others when you are the instigator of that discrimination.

I dont take it a a conscious value judgement in all cases. I do see it as a value judgement programmed into our societies thinking and constantly reinforced. The fact that this country was founded by Europeans is precisely my point. Those norms are ingrained in white societies way of thinking and there is no tolerance or understanding that other groups dont hold the same norms. Human nature dictates that you think "your way" is the right way or you wouldnt be able to rationalize your position to yourself.

As far as hair goes I'm speaking about dreds or braids more so than Afros. Those are very Afrocentric hair styles while your example of a mohawk cuts across all races. i wouldnt be surprised to find any race with a mohawk. i would be very surprised to see say an Asian with cornrows. I dont take it as a slight unless I see the disdain. Why you consider that overly sensitive is a curiosity to me. If I showed disdain for white men with male pattern baldness not just shaving off all their hair would you consider that a racial slight? Its very distracting and off putting.

Okay, long story short, the accepted cultural norms in this country are largely Eurocentric. On this we agree. Whether the motivation is that other culture's norms are inferior is arguable, but, at least in my opinion, largely irrelevant.

Perhaps there are black people that feel slighted because they can't wear braids in their company of employment's board meetings and have to get a hair cut.

Perhaps there are fat people that feel slighted because they have to wear slacks and tuck in a collared shirt which, on pear shaped dudes, looks silly as fuck.

Maybe there's hasidic Jews who feel slighted because, to be cooks, they have to hide their beards and curly sideburns in hair nets while they work.

There's people from places all over the world whose cultures value a man's natural musk, and who don't see any need to wear deodorant. They don't typically get to work behind the perfume counter at Macy's.

Ultimately, that's the way of the world. The vast majority of employment fields out there require, for reasons sometimes valid and sometimes purely cultural, people's appearance, hygiene, and dress code to fall into a given range of options.

Now, I'm not saying that -your- reasons for viewing the cause behind many of these standards as ingrained racism (to the extent of actively viewing other cultures' standards as inferior) are emotional. In fact, to some extent, I'd wager that your assessment is correct.

I will say, however, that anyone who views it as a significant problem that the standards of dress and hairstyle (and hygiene) required of them for their chosen field of employment are exclusive of their native culture's commonly accepted standards of the same -is- overly sensitive and emotional. All a job is for the vast majority of people out there is a list of shit you have to do that you wouldn't normally be doing otherwise.

Also, I HAVE THAT SAME ISSUE WITH THE HALO HAIR CUT! Lol!

Personally, I don't like how my hair goes, but I also have a condition common to pacific islanders that I call peanut head (my cranium doesn't protrude as far in the back as the average) so for awhile I was afraid to just buzz my shit. Always told myself, though, that if I started to lose my hair, I'd have some God damn dignity and just get rid of all of it.

Ended up getting tired of trying to deal with my hair and got rid of it last year. I actually dig the look.

But yeah. . . not a fan of the halo. I'll accept it without saying anything to those who sport 'em, but I don't approve. Not a comb over, tho. Then I can't keep it to myself.

This thread has become incredibly silly.
People may (or may not) make value judgments that reflect the culture into which they were born and/or raised. There is nothing racist about that. Culture and race are not the same thing. Americans (of all races) that were born and raised here are obviously not part of African or German culture and it is silly to pretend otherwise. All of our ancestors wore outfits that would draw laughter today.

It appears maybe that you have a problem with an Eurocentric view, so I ask you is this not racism of some kind or sort on your part ? What's wrong with an Eurocentric view ? Do you extend your racist attitude to include that which is defined as an anti-Eurocentric view also in the world ? What is an African American or the (black) African view in the world ? Is it conquest or domination eventually, and this instead of assimilation to be the norms and/or goal over all ?

Last edited:
It appears maybe that you have a problem with an Eurocentric view, so I ask you is this not racism of some kind or sort on your part ? What's wrong with an Eurocentric view ? Do you extend your racist attitude to include that which is defined as an anti-Eurocentric view also in the world ? What is an African American or the (black) African view in the world ? Is it conquest or domination eventually, and this instead of assimilation to be the norms and/or goal over all ?

Racism is believing your "race" is superior. Since I know that we are all one race I am not racist. The problem I have with the Eurocentric point of view is that it was cultivated and crafted specifically to absolve whites in the US and other countries of paradox of enslaving Blacks. It has proven to be so full of lies that you dont know what the truth is now. I know of no "goal" to dominate the earth by Black people. The true history of the world should be taught instead of pretending "white people" were the only ones that created and did anything of significance.

We all come from different cultures.
If we live in tge USA then we should adhere to us culture and laws.
If that offends anyone, they can always fuck off and move to whatever shithole they choose to practice their backward culture.

Racism is believing your "race" is superior. Since I know that we are all one race I am not racist. The problem I have with the Eurocentric point of view is that it was cultivated and crafted specifically to absolve whites in the US and other countries of paradox of enslaving Blacks. It has proven to be so full of lies that you dont know what the truth is now. I know of no "goal" to dominate the earth by Black people. The true history of the world should be taught instead of pretending "white people" were the only ones that created and did anything of significance.

No, "superior" isn't correct. The idea that people should be treated differently because of their race is racist.
I don't think you have a clue what a "Eurocentric point of view" is and I certainly don't think you know any thing about it's "cultivation. Are you trying to claim that all Europeans are white and plan to dominate the Earth? Are Blacks who enslave Blacks nicer than Whites who do so?

No, "superior" isn't correct. The idea that people should be treated differently because of their race is racist.
I don't think you have a clue what a "Eurocentric point of view" is and I certainly don't think you know any thing about it's "cultivation. Are you trying to claim that all Europeans are white and plan to dominate the Earth? Are Blacks who enslave Blacks nicer than Whites who do so?

Before trying to correct me at least check your dictionary. It plainly states that it is a belief that a race is superior. I have more than a clue what a Eurocentric point of view is because I was indoctrinated with it formally from the moment I hit the school system. I was told Christopher Columbus discovered America when its a blatant lie. Cultivated in the context I used it means refined or polished. Are you really that ignorant or just pretending to be? Thats twice now you could have avoided embarrassing yourself simply by looking at a dictionary. If you knew anything about slavery at all you would know the type of slavery that was practiced in the US and some other places was entirely different than that practiced before that time.

Before trying to correct me at least check your dictionary. It plainly states that it is a belief that a race is superior. I have more than a clue what a Eurocentric point of view is because I was indoctrinated with it formally from the moment I hit the school system. I was told Christopher Columbus discovered America when its a blatant lie. Cultivated in the context I used it means refined or polished. Are you really that ignorant or just pretending to be? Thats twice now you could have avoided embarrassing yourself simply by looking at a dictionary. If you knew anything about slavery at all you would know the type of slavery that was practiced in the US and some other places was entirely different than that practiced before that time.

Translation, it's ok to enslave whites.

Forum List

Back