Here is the question atheists can't answer...

There remains no empirical evidence for the existence of any deity or deities.
As you were born into a family/community that believes in your particular deity, there has been over a thousand deities in thousands of religions. Your belief in yours makes you an atheist regarding the belief in others deities. We atheists just go one deity further and reject that one also.
Failing to give credit to Stephen Roberts makes you a plagiarist at best and a lowly thief at worst. ;)

Correct about empirical evidence. Where did I give the impression that there was empirical evidence of the supernatural?

There remains no empirical evidence for the existence of any deity or deities.
As you were born into a family/community that believes in your particular deity, there has been over a thousand deities in thousands of religions. Your belief in yours makes you an atheist regarding the belief in others deities. We atheists just go one deity further and reject that one also.
Failing to give credit to Stephen Roberts makes you a plagiarist at best and a lowly thief at worst. ;)

Correct about empirical evidence. Where did I give the impression that there was empirical evidence of the supernatural?
Show me where I claimed that anything I have ever said on any topic, is my own. When I make a statement, it is based on my readings and own thoughts and I don't provide a bibliography of all that I read, as I was unaware that we are writing some thesis. Nowhere have I said that "you" gave the impression that there was empirical evidence of the supernatural.

Show me where I claimed that anything I have ever said on any topic, is my own. When I make a statement, it is based on my readings and own thoughts and I don't provide a bibliography of all that I read, as I was unaware that we are writing some thesis. Nowhere have I said that "you" gave the impression that there was empirical evidence of the supernatural.
Nice tap dance. Have you ever considered taking it on the road?
ZXZlpsw.gif

If you want to make a general statement, fine, but when you quote someone, whether you say "you" or not, it's specifically to them. Don't believe me? Fine. Wait and I'll prove it to you.

ZXZlpsw.gif

If you want to make a general statement, fine, but when you quote someone, whether you say "you" or not, it's specifically to them. Don't believe me? Fine. Wait and I'll prove it to you.
Like I always say ask not what your country can do for you ask what you can do for your country.

A religious guy told me that Odin, Vile and Ve carved our ancestors from two tree logs in order to populate the world they'd just created with something.

Ask, the first man, was carved out of an Ash tree.
Embla, the first woman, was carved out of an Elm tree.

Idk if it's true but it sounds plausible, obviously we have to come from somewhere. Right?

ZXZlpsw.gif

Like I always say ask not what your country can do for you ask what you can do for your country.
Do you always say that or are you just dancing around your guilt? BTW, like Tyrone, you're guilty of plagiarism since that famous line belongs to JFK, not you.

A religious guy told me that Odin, Vile and Ve carved our ancestors from two tree logs in order to populate the world they'd just created with something.

Idk if it's true but it sounds plausible, obviously we have to come from somewhere. Right?
If that belief gives you spiritual comfort and allows you to better understand existence, go for it.

Just as good of an explanation as the christian creation story.

But the truth is we don't know. Better to admit that and keep looking than settle on what oden said

ZXZlpsw.gif

Do you always say that or are you just dancing around your guilt? BTW, like Tyrone, you're guilty of plagiarism since that famous line belongs to JFK, not you.

I seem to remember SEALYBOBO saying it first....

about the time he said....One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind

How did we get here?
Nobody has this answer (yet), not even theists. All anyone has are theories, even theists.
What we do know is that the Universe had a definite beginning. Current theory points not to an Oscillating Universe, but to "a Big Chill" for an ending.
We don't know that the universe had a definite beginning since we don't know what was before the Big Bang.
All time and space began with the Big Bang. What happened before then is anyone's guess. Same goes for what is outside the Universe, if anything, or if there are Multiverses.

How did we get here?
Nobody has this answer (yet), not even theists. All anyone has are theories, even theists.
What we do know is that the Universe had a definite beginning. Current theory points not to an Oscillating Universe, but to "a Big Chill" for an ending.
We don't know that the universe had a definite beginning since we don't know what was before the Big Bang.
All time and space began with the Big Bang. What happened before then is anyone's guess. Same goes for what is outside the Universe, if anything, or if there are Multiverses.
All time and space from this edition of the universe may have started with the BB. We don't know if all time and space ever existed before the BB or not.

How did we get here?
All time and space from this edition of the universe may have started with the BB. We don't know if all time and space ever existed before the BB or not.

Matter cannot be created or destroyed

All matter existed and conditions eventually developed to create a huge explosion

Matter cannot be created or destroyed

All matter existed and conditions eventually developed to create a huge explosion
Within the Universe, that is true. Outside, the same rules may not apply.

How did we get here?
Nobody can answer that Blackrook.
And even if God could, the answer wouldn't fit in our heads.
Agreed. OTOH, if God wanted us to know, the knowledge would have been printed in our heads so there is not dispute. Ergo, IMHO, that's part of the challenge. We're all supposed to figure it out for ourselves. Not the actual physics of it (although that can be fun), but the spiritual meaning of it.

There is no particular reason why the universe had to have been created. Birth and death are human paradigms. The universe could have existed from infinity, to infinity.

Forum List

Back