Here is why Nike did the Kaepernick ad

B3-BP520_Dshot_NS_20180905021506.png

The Daily Shot: 36% of U.S. Workers Participate in the Gig Economy

Young people matter more to ad buyers than old people.
By the way, Nike stock dropped about 3% on the day the shit hit the fan and has leveled out, right there.

Champagne corks a-poppin' over at Nike HQ.

Oh, then you shouldn't be upset when your employer cuts your paycheck by 3%? You should go out and buy champagne (with money you no longer have) to celebrate getting a pay cut?
You think that a 3% stock price drop means they cut pay by 3%?

Holy crap. Who taught you this?

Young people in ever generation like to 'rebel'...and like most, they are stupid as hell.

Perhaps. But they are the decision makers in lots and lots of purchases like shoes.

Among those who have watched the ad, those folks *more* likely to buy Nike products out numbering those *less* likely to buy Nike by a ratio of nearly 5 to 1. With only 10% less likely to buy in the Gen Z and millenial demos.

Those are dream numbers for a very lucrative demo. Nike's marketing department knows what they are doing. And they know who they are targeting.

They made a business decision and picked a side on social issues that match their customers. It looks like it was a solid call.

Some genius at Nike though it would be a good marketing ploy. Just like that genius at Dick's Sporting good thought it would be a great idea to ban guns from a store that sells guns.

Some people just live in a world of delusion.

By the way, Nike stock dropped about 3% on the day the shit hit the fan and has leveled out, right there.

Oh, then you shouldn't be upset when your employer cuts your paycheck by 3%? You should go out and buy champagne (with money you no longer have) to celebrate getting a pay cut?

Holy crap.

Yeah, stocks fluctuate all the time. Nike is already up .50 this morning to 80.87 on 3 straight days of climbs from its low of 79.01. At the rate of its ascent, it should clear its pre-Kapernick high of 82.18 by the middle of next week.

With an ad campaign that is wildly popular with its target demo that garnered them $150 million in free publicity.

Not a bad haul.

Holy crap.

Yeah, stocks fluctuate all the time. Nike is already up .50 this morning to 80.87 on 3 straight days of climbs from its low of 79.01. At the rate of its ascent, it should clear its pre-Kapernick high of 82.18 by the middle of next week.

With an ad campaign that is wildly popular with its target demo that garnered them $150 million in free publicity.

Not a bad haul.
Yeah, back to just under $81. They did their research before they made this move, for sure.

I agree. Now who is spending the dollars to buy those shoes?
I usually give my grandsons $150 for Christmas and their birthdays where I know it is going for shoes. I have decided not to facilitate their shoe buying sprees any longer. No more than $25, now.

You want your grandsons wearing flip flops? :D

Some genius at Nike though it would be a good marketing ploy. Just like that genius at Dick's Sporting good thought it would be a great idea to ban guns from a store that sells guns.

Or.....they know their target demo *way* better than you do.

Dream Crazy’ saw strong resonance among [Generation] Z and Millennial audiences [on average, Ace Scores were 33% above norm],” the company said in a statement Thursday. “Older viewers, those among [Generation] X, positively regarded the ad as well, but to a lesser degree than those younger than them.”

Kaepernick's Nike commercial 'is a big hit with consumers'

With this resonance translating into huge numbers in likelihood to buy.

Ace Metrix polled consumers on how Kaepernick’s signing would impact their plans to spend money with Nike. Thirteen percent of those surveyed said they were less likely to purchase from Nike after viewing Kaepernick’s first ad. That percentage was down to 10 percent among millennials and 6 amongst Generation Z. Conversely, a staggering 56 percent of those surveyed said they were more likely to purchase from Nike after seeing the commercial.

With those less likely to spend money outnumbered by those who will are likely to spend more....by a factor of nearly 5 to 1.

Nike knows what its doing, Flash.

Young people in ever generation like to 'rebel'...and like most, they are stupid as hell.

Perhaps. But they are the decision makers in lots and lots of purchases like shoes.

Among those who have watched the ad, those folks *more* likely to buy Nike products out numbering those *less* likely to buy Nike by a ratio of nearly 5 to 1. With only 10% less likely to buy in the Gen Z and millenial demos.

Those are dream numbers for a very lucrative demo. Nike's marketing department knows what they are doing. And they know who they are targeting.

They made a business decision and picked a side on social issues that match their customers. It looks like it was a solid call.
I would like to see the actual statistics of just how many of those young people who said they would support Nike and would buy their shoes based on this ad actually have bought shoes in the last year, how many, how much they spent. My son loves Nike...doesn't buy their shoes because he just can't afford $100+ shoes right now.

Dream Crazy’ saw strong resonance among [Generation] Z and Millennial audiences [on average, Ace Scores were 33% above norm],” the company said in a statement Thursday. “Older viewers, those among [Generation] X, positively regarded the ad as well, but to a lesser degree than those younger than them.”

Ace Metrix polled consumers on how Kaepernick’s signing would impact their plans to spend money with Nike. Thirteen percent of those surveyed said they were less likely to purchase from Nike after viewing Kaepernick’s first ad. That percentage was down to 10 percent among millennials and 6 amongst Generation Z. Conversely, a staggering 56 percent of those surveyed said they were more likely to purchase from Nike after seeing the commercial.

With those less likely to spend money outnumbered by those who will are likely to spend more....by a factor of nearly 5 to 1.

Nike stated their own research shows the majority of Americans do not support Kaepernick or his protest of kneeling during the national anthem.

Pissing off the majority of the shoe-buying population when you are a shoe company is NOT sound business, no matter how much you claim that it is.

I would like to see the actual statistics of just how many of those young people who said they would support Nike and would buy their shoes based on this ad actually have bought shoes in the last year, how many, how much they spent. My son loves Nike...doesn't buy their shoes because he just can't afford $100+ shoes right now.

I'd be more interested in how many buy shoes in the *next* year. And those stats will take a bit of time to come down the pipe.

The initial indications are favorable for Nike, though. And I expected they would be. Nike to a large degree is selling image. They invest lots of money into cultivating that image. It follows that they would invest large quantities of money to research the reaction of their target demos *before* putting out a controversial ad like this.

Another stat I'd be interested in is how closely Nike's pre-release market research matches the polling after the ad release.

It's a comparison, numbnuts! Do you honestly think they would celebrate this drop in their stock price? About the only reason they should celebrate is that it didn't tank to about 50%!

You know I went to my local Sears and Kmart stores yesterday to ask about market share and how it affected their companies. However, they wouldn't talk to me. They went out of business!

The champagne corks you heard popping were probably in the offices of the other shoe and apparel companies. They were all telling Nike to "Just do it, again!"

It's a comparison, numbnuts! Do you honestly think they would celebrate this drop in their stock price? About the only reason they should celebrate is that it didn't tank to about 50%!

You know I went to my local Sears and Kmart stores yesterday to ask about market share and how it affected their companies. However, they wouldn't talk to me. They went out of business!

The champagne corks you heard popping were probably in the offices of the other shoe and apparel companies. They were all telling Nike to "Just do it, again!"
You clearly have no idea how this works.

Nike knew it would take a short term hit. The question was how much. 3% for such a risk is nothing. To prove it, they've already made back 1.5%.

No doubt buyers knew when to move in on the stock. Nike has gotten a ton of publicity. Its target market is on board. It's all good.

I'm looking at this from a business perspective, you're buried in partisan politics.

Nike stated their own research shows the majority of Americans do not support Kaepernick or his protest of kneeling during the national anthem.

Pissing off the majority of the shoe-buying population when you are a shoe company is NOT sound business, no matter how much you claim that it is.

Its shoes don't sell at the same rates across all demos, but are concentrated more in specific ones. Specifically, youth. And in those groups there is far more support for Kapernick than there is in older groups.

And the results have backed that play, with strong resonance for the ad among Gen Z, Millenials and Gen X. In other words, Nike's customers.

[

Or they don't but are suffering from the Trump Derangement Syndrome mental illness so they do stupid things.

I have been a Nike customer many times over the year. I have the money to buy their products. Myself and many many more people like myself will never do another bit of business with those shitheads.

If they think they can thrive with a market base of stupid American hating mentally ill Moon Bats then more power to them. I think, like Dick Sporting Goods, the NFL, the Red Hen and others, they will regret that decision some time in the future.

Nike knew it would take a short term hit. The question was how much. 3% for such a risk is nothing. To prove it, they've already made back 1.5%.

In only 3 days.

And they've already received over $160 million in free publicity. Plus have a wildly popular ad campaign that resonnates with dream numbers in their target demo of Gen Z and Millenials. With strong resonance in Gen X.

Nike is gonna be fine.

It dropped 3 bucks from a high of 82 and change. Its already back above 81 and rapidly climbing.

Stock prices affect Market Cap. Market Cap and Market SHARE are two totally different things. Making your Sears analogy fairly off the mark.

In only 3 days.

And they've already received over $160 million in free publicity. Plus have a wildly popular ad campaign that resonnates with dream numbers in their target demo of Gen Z and Millenials. With strong resonance in Gen X.

Nike is gonna be fine.
Of course. They knew what they were doing.

And much of that free publicity is the result of right wing whining.

They should send Thank You cards.

[

Or they don't but are suffering from the Trump Derangement Syndrome mental illness so they do stupid things.

Trump?

Trump is trying to inject himself into this issue. But it really has nothing to do with him.

I have been a Nike customer many times over the year. I have the money to buy their products. Myself and many many more people like myself will never do another bit of business with those shitheads.

If they think they can thrive with a market base of stupid American hating mentally ill Moon Bats then more power to them. I think, like Dick Sporting Goods, the NFL, the Red Hen and others, they will regret that decision some time in the future.

And yet when you look at the market research, those less likely to buy Nike after watching that ad are about 13%. Compared to 56% who are more likely.

So you're vastly outnumbered.

Forum List

Back