Hillary Claims She Tried to Join Marines!

June 15, 1994

Speaking at a lunch on Capitol Hill honoring military women, Hillary Rodham Clinton said that she once visited a recruiting office in Arkansas to inquire about joining the Marines.

"It was not a very encouraging conversation," she said. "I decided maybe I'll look for another way to serve my country."

Hillary Clinton Says She Once Tried to Be Marine

FLASHBACK: Hillary Said She Tried To Join The Marines. There's No Evidence. The Media Never Checked It Out.

Maureen Dowd, writing for The New York Times, originally covered the story in 1994. She wrote:

Speaking at a lunch on Capitol Hill honoring military women, Hillary Rodham Clinton said that she once visited a recruiting office in Arkansas to inquire about joining the Marines. She told the group gathered for lunch in the Dirksen Office Building, according to The Associated Press, that she became interested in the military in 1975, the year she married Bill Clinton and the year she was teaching at the University of Arkansas law school in Fayetteville. She was 27 then, she said, and the Marine recruiter was about 21. She was interested in joining either the active forces or the reserves, she recalled, but was swiftly rebuffed by the recruiter, who took a dim view of her age and her thick glasses. "You're too old, you can't see and you're a woman," Mrs. Clinton said she was told, adding that the recruiter dismissed her by suggesting she try the Army. "Maybe the dogs would take you," she recalled the recruiter saying. "It was not a very encouraging conversation," she said. "I decided maybe I'll look for another way to serve my country."

Even Dowd at the time questioned the story. The story, said Dowd, “did not seem to fit in with the First Lady’s own persona,” given her identity as a peacenik opposing the Vietnam War and her Life magazine appearance “as an anti-establishment commencement speaker at Wellesley College.” And, as Dowd noted, Hillary told friends she only moved down to Arkansas to be with Bill. Dowd asks, rightly, “she had moved to Arkansas to be with Mr. Clinton, so why was she thinking about joining the Marines?”

As Jim Geraghty of National Review noted in 2007, Hillary’s story doesn’t hold water. Recruiters in 1975, after the end of the draft, would have killed to get Hillary in the service. And no, her eyesight wouldn’t have been a barrier.

In 2008, Bill Clinton tried to tell the same story about Hillary, only he said that she tried to join the Army instead of the Marines.

When Hillary was asked about this bizarre story in 2007, here was her answer, according to Michael Crowley at The New Republic:

I wedged in my second question: What should people make of the fact that she had briefly tried to enlist in the military? At this her eyes narrowed and she threw me a glare of mistrust. “I have very deep and quite broad relationships with people in the military,” she said. As for the meaning of the recruiting visit, “I can’t tell you,” she said with a dismissive wave. “You go look at that.”

Less than edifying.

Hillary has made similar claims about official discrimination about other government agencies. Earlier this year, she claimed that she wrote a letter to NASA when she was 13 saying she wanted to be an astronaut, but received a letter back saying she couldn’t because she was a woman. That would have been illegal under federal law.

She also infamously claimed that she survived sniper fire while flying into Bosnia in 1996: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

This was a lie.

The media have not checked Hillary’s Marine claim; they take it at face value. That’s because she’s not a black Republican.

I believe Hillary wanted to be a Marine.

I remember when I was in the Navy back in the 70s.

Most of the female Marines were Lesbians......at least they acted like it...because they acted like they hated men.Turns out my hunch was correct. Most women join the Marines because they are so butch.

I can see why she would pick the Marines.

in a 1994 speech hillary merely shared a personal anecdote with memories of merely speaking to a local military recruiter and inquiring about possibilities as she was considering all of her public service options at the time. she was 27 years old.

she recalled his concerns with her age and her glasses but it was simply a candid conversation with a local recruiter, nothing more nothing less...

Which seems fairly unlikely. It's unlikely a Marine Recruiter would have rejected a potential applicant with a J.D that she earned in 1973.

Not given how hard of a time the services have filling slots in the JAG corps.

There was certainly a lot of embellishment going on here. She's going to need to break herself of that habit if she wants to be taken seriously in 2016.

she did not get rejected because she did not officially apply. she once had a conversation with a 21 year old local recruiter. bfd.

FLASHBACK: Hillary Said She Tried To Join The Marines. There's No Evidence. The Media Never Checked It Out.

Maureen Dowd, writing for The New York Times, originally covered the story in 1994. She wrote:

Speaking at a lunch on Capitol Hill honoring military women, Hillary Rodham Clinton said that she once visited a recruiting office in Arkansas to inquire about joining the Marines. She told the group gathered for lunch in the Dirksen Office Building, according to The Associated Press, that she became interested in the military in 1975, the year she married Bill Clinton and the year she was teaching at the University of Arkansas law school in Fayetteville. She was 27 then, she said, and the Marine recruiter was about 21. She was interested in joining either the active forces or the reserves, she recalled, but was swiftly rebuffed by the recruiter, who took a dim view of her age and her thick glasses. "You're too old, you can't see and you're a woman," Mrs. Clinton said she was told, adding that the recruiter dismissed her by suggesting she try the Army. "Maybe the dogs would take you," she recalled the recruiter saying. "It was not a very encouraging conversation," she said. "I decided maybe I'll look for another way to serve my country."

Even Dowd at the time questioned the story. The story, said Dowd, “did not seem to fit in with the First Lady’s own persona,” given her identity as a peacenik opposing the Vietnam War and her Life magazine appearance “as an anti-establishment commencement speaker at Wellesley College.” And, as Dowd noted, Hillary told friends she only moved down to Arkansas to be with Bill. Dowd asks, rightly, “she had moved to Arkansas to be with Mr. Clinton, so why was she thinking about joining the Marines?”

As Jim Geraghty of National Review noted in 2007, Hillary’s story doesn’t hold water. Recruiters in 1975, after the end of the draft, would have killed to get Hillary in the service. And no, her eyesight wouldn’t have been a barrier.

In 2008, Bill Clinton tried to tell the same story about Hillary, only he said that she tried to join the Army instead of the Marines.

When Hillary was asked about this bizarre story in 2007, here was her answer, according to Michael Crowley at The New Republic:

I wedged in my second question: What should people make of the fact that she had briefly tried to enlist in the military? At this her eyes narrowed and she threw me a glare of mistrust. “I have very deep and quite broad relationships with people in the military,” she said. As for the meaning of the recruiting visit, “I can’t tell you,” she said with a dismissive wave. “You go look at that.”

Less than edifying.

Hillary has made similar claims about official discrimination about other government agencies. Earlier this year, she claimed that she wrote a letter to NASA when she was 13 saying she wanted to be an astronaut, but received a letter back saying she couldn’t because she was a woman. That would have been illegal under federal law.

She also infamously claimed that she survived sniper fire while flying into Bosnia in 1996: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

This was a lie.

The media have not checked Hillary’s Marine claim; they take it at face value. That’s because she’s not a black Republican.

Maureen Dowd?

Really??

in a 1994 speech hillary merely shared a personal anecdote with memories of merely speaking to a local military recruiter and inquiring about possibilities as she was considering all of her public service options at the time. she was 27 years old.

she recalled his concerns with her age and her glasses but it was simply a candid conversation with a local recruiter, nothing more nothing less...

Which seems fairly unlikely. It's unlikely a Marine Recruiter would have rejected a potential applicant with a J.D that she earned in 1973.

I don't know if the story is true, but it doesnt sound like the conversation went on very long. Her jd may not have come up

she did not get rejected because she did not officially apply. she once had a conversation with a 21 year old local recruiter. bfd.

She also supposedly wrote a letter to NASA when she was 13, where she claims her dreams of being an astronaut were dashed when they replied with a letter explaining how she couldn't because she was a woman... (a flagrant violation of federal anti-discrimination law).

When all this bullshit on Carson came out, I said... Hillary tells more (and bigger) lies before breakfast every morning.

very possibly. But Hillary also has a history of 30+ years in public service and a record we can scrutinize.

All Uncle Tom Carson has are these anecdotes about how awesome he is, as he's never held a public office.
He only ran the best hospital in the united states. Hillary has screwed up everything she touches.

... if she wants to be taken seriously in 2016...

she is already being taken very seriously, despite desperate grasping by various hack delusions...

in fact, hillary's candidacy is taken more seriously than any other candidate by far... :thup:

The math is clear: Hillary Clinton has better odds of becoming president than anybody else — by far

USA Presidential Election: 2016 Odds
Yeah because the media won't scrutinize anything thing she says.

this may come as a shock to some of you but political headlines often twist the truth just to draw attention.

this op "tried to join" is based on a twist of the dishonest 1994 headline that she supposedly "tried to be" a marine.

all you have to do is consider what she actually SAID in context of her speech vs what someone else said she said...or said she supposedly meant by what she said.

she once visited a local recruiter and asked the young man some questions.

"It was not a very encouraging conversation," she said. "I decided maybe I'll look for another way to serve my country."

She also supposedly wrote a letter to NASA when she was 13, where she claims her dreams of being an astronaut were dashed when they replied with a letter explaining how she couldn't because she was a woman... (a flagrant violation of federal anti-discrimination law).
Well, we are talking about over 50 years ago. I don't think those laws were in place back then. Besides.....in the 60s....everyone wanted to work for NASA.

in a 1994 speech hillary simply shared a personal anecdote with memories of merely speaking to a local military recruiter and inquiring about possibilities as she was considering all of her public service options at the time. she was 27 years old.

She lied, so you need to hold her accountable like you expected Ben to do.

this may come as a shock to some of you but political headlines often twist the truth just to draw attention.

this op "tried to join" is based on a twist of the dishonest 1994 headline that she supposedly "tried to be" a marine.

all you have to do is consider what she actually SAID in context of her speech vs what someone else said she said...or said she supposedly meant by what she said.

she once visited a local recruiter and asked the young man some questions.

This is SO funny.... Replace Hillary with Carson in what you just spewed forth. Case closed!

There was certainly a lot of embellishment going on here. She's going to need to break herself of that habit if she wants to be taken seriously in 2016.
If she wasn't lying about this I'm sure the recruiter saw she is a failure.

When all this bullshit on Carson came out, I said... Hillary tells more (and bigger) lies before breakfast every morning.

very possibly. But Hillary also has a history of 30+ years in public service and a record we can scrutinize.

All Uncle Tom Carson has are these anecdotes about how awesome he is, as he's never held a public office.

You're right... Carson has one day back in high school where Hil has 30+ years of dead bodies and scandals behind her. She knows how to lie so much better than Carson it's not funny! Who's he kidding?

I agree but her lying is so bad and easily proved to be a lie. What i think is she knows she doesn't have to give a damn so it really doesn't matter what she says. Plus, maybe, with the brain injury she suffered she doesn't remember everything correctly.

or she's a criminal mastermind who would put Professor Moriarty to shame.

Watch Primary Colors.

A fictionalized movie written by a reporter?

Okay.

You know, again, hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent investigating this woman, and so far you have... um, nothing.

As been pointed out to you many times, Mrs. Clinton is too big to be prosecuted. It ain't gonna happen. But you being a thinking human being has to look at the evidence and decide for yourself. To do that then say that Mrs. Clinton is not a serial liar takes quite a leap in logic.

If she wasn't lying about this I'm sure the recruiter saw she is a failure.

They were under sniper fire at the time.

Forum List

Back