Hillary Claims She Tried to Join Marines!

FLASHBACK: Hillary Said She Tried To Join The Marines. There's No Evidence. The Media Never Checked It Out.

Maureen Dowd, writing for The New York Times, originally covered the story in 1994. She wrote:

Speaking at a lunch on Capitol Hill honoring military women, Hillary Rodham Clinton said that she once visited a recruiting office in Arkansas to inquire about joining the Marines. She told the group gathered for lunch in the Dirksen Office Building, according to The Associated Press, that she became interested in the military in 1975, the year she married Bill Clinton and the year she was teaching at the University of Arkansas law school in Fayetteville. She was 27 then, she said, and the Marine recruiter was about 21. She was interested in joining either the active forces or the reserves, she recalled, but was swiftly rebuffed by the recruiter, who took a dim view of her age and her thick glasses. "You're too old, you can't see and you're a woman," Mrs. Clinton said she was told, adding that the recruiter dismissed her by suggesting she try the Army. "Maybe the dogs would take you," she recalled the recruiter saying. "It was not a very encouraging conversation," she said. "I decided maybe I'll look for another way to serve my country."

Even Dowd at the time questioned the story. The story, said Dowd, “did not seem to fit in with the First Lady’s own persona,” given her identity as a peacenik opposing the Vietnam War and her Life magazine appearance “as an anti-establishment commencement speaker at Wellesley College.” And, as Dowd noted, Hillary told friends she only moved down to Arkansas to be with Bill. Dowd asks, rightly, “she had moved to Arkansas to be with Mr. Clinton, so why was she thinking about joining the Marines?”

As Jim Geraghty of National Review noted in 2007, Hillary’s story doesn’t hold water. Recruiters in 1975, after the end of the draft, would have killed to get Hillary in the service. And no, her eyesight wouldn’t have been a barrier.

In 2008, Bill Clinton tried to tell the same story about Hillary, only he said that she tried to join the Army instead of the Marines.

When Hillary was asked about this bizarre story in 2007, here was her answer, according to Michael Crowley at The New Republic:

I wedged in my second question: What should people make of the fact that she had briefly tried to enlist in the military? At this her eyes narrowed and she threw me a glare of mistrust. “I have very deep and quite broad relationships with people in the military,” she said. As for the meaning of the recruiting visit, “I can’t tell you,” she said with a dismissive wave. “You go look at that.”

Less than edifying.

Hillary has made similar claims about official discrimination about other government agencies. Earlier this year, she claimed that she wrote a letter to NASA when she was 13 saying she wanted to be an astronaut, but received a letter back saying she couldn’t because she was a woman. That would have been illegal under federal law.

She also infamously claimed that she survived sniper fire while flying into Bosnia in 1996: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

This was a lie.

The media have not checked Hillary’s Marine claim; they take it at face value. That’s because she’s not a black Republican.
Seems odd you Republicans told Hillary to a higher standard than Ben Carson. Didn't Ben Carson say he was accepted to some military school? Republicans yesterday we're saying or asking if we have any proof that's not true. Well I'm asking you now the same thing do you have any proof Hillary didn't consider joining the Marines? If you don't then STFU

FLASHBACK: Hillary Said She Tried To Join The Marines. There's No Evidence. The Media Never Checked It Out.

Maureen Dowd, writing for The New York Times, originally covered the story in 1994. She wrote:

Speaking at a lunch on Capitol Hill honoring military women, Hillary Rodham Clinton said that she once visited a recruiting office in Arkansas to inquire about joining the Marines. She told the group gathered for lunch in the Dirksen Office Building, according to The Associated Press, that she became interested in the military in 1975, the year she married Bill Clinton and the year she was teaching at the University of Arkansas law school in Fayetteville. She was 27 then, she said, and the Marine recruiter was about 21. She was interested in joining either the active forces or the reserves, she recalled, but was swiftly rebuffed by the recruiter, who took a dim view of her age and her thick glasses. "You're too old, you can't see and you're a woman," Mrs. Clinton said she was told, adding that the recruiter dismissed her by suggesting she try the Army. "Maybe the dogs would take you," she recalled the recruiter saying. "It was not a very encouraging conversation," she said. "I decided maybe I'll look for another way to serve my country."

Even Dowd at the time questioned the story. The story, said Dowd, “did not seem to fit in with the First Lady’s own persona,” given her identity as a peacenik opposing the Vietnam War and her Life magazine appearance “as an anti-establishment commencement speaker at Wellesley College.” And, as Dowd noted, Hillary told friends she only moved down to Arkansas to be with Bill. Dowd asks, rightly, “she had moved to Arkansas to be with Mr. Clinton, so why was she thinking about joining the Marines?”

As Jim Geraghty of National Review noted in 2007, Hillary’s story doesn’t hold water. Recruiters in 1975, after the end of the draft, would have killed to get Hillary in the service. And no, her eyesight wouldn’t have been a barrier.

In 2008, Bill Clinton tried to tell the same story about Hillary, only he said that she tried to join the Army instead of the Marines.

When Hillary was asked about this bizarre story in 2007, here was her answer, according to Michael Crowley at The New Republic:

I wedged in my second question: What should people make of the fact that she had briefly tried to enlist in the military? At this her eyes narrowed and she threw me a glare of mistrust. “I have very deep and quite broad relationships with people in the military,” she said. As for the meaning of the recruiting visit, “I can’t tell you,” she said with a dismissive wave. “You go look at that.”

Less than edifying.

Hillary has made similar claims about official discrimination about other government agencies. Earlier this year, she claimed that she wrote a letter to NASA when she was 13 saying she wanted to be an astronaut, but received a letter back saying she couldn’t because she was a woman. That would have been illegal under federal law.

She also infamously claimed that she survived sniper fire while flying into Bosnia in 1996: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

This was a lie.

The media have not checked Hillary’s Marine claim; they take it at face value. That’s because she’s not a black Republican.
Seems odd you Republicans told Hillary to a higher standard than Ben Carson. Didn't Ben Carson say he was accepted to some military school? Republicans yesterday we're saying or asking if we have any proof that's not true. Well I'm asking you now the same thing do you have any proof Hillary didn't consider joining the Marines? If you don't then STFU
Is the media investigating that Hillary did that? The same way they did Carson? The answer is no, so go back to the basement.

This is SO funny.... Replace Hillary with Carson in what you just spewed forth. Case closed!

this type of scrutiny happens to all the candidates and each of them has to be personally responsible.

no candidate has been held more accountable than hillary and she handles these type of distractions with relative ease.

your attempt to dismiss carson because of an old lie about hillary just demonstrates your disconnect from reality.

When all this bullshit on Carson came out, I said... Hillary tells more (and bigger) lies before breakfast every morning.

very possibly. But Hillary also has a history of 30+ years in public service and a record we can scrutinize.

All Uncle Tom Carson has are these anecdotes about how awesome he is, as he's never held a public office.

You're right... Carson has one day back in high school where Hil has 30+ years of dead bodies and scandals behind her. She knows how to lie so much better than Carson it's not funny! Who's he kidding?

I agree but her lying is so bad and easily proved to be a lie. What i think is she knows she doesn't have to give a damn so it really doesn't matter what she says. Plus, maybe, with the brain injury she suffered she doesn't remember everything correctly.

Hey, maybe if it's Carson and Hillary in the debates, he can offer to operate on her brain to help her remember details better? How many times has she simply not been able to recall? I think this would be a grand gesture from Dr. Carson. ;)

This is SO funny.... Replace Hillary with Carson in what you just spewed forth. Case closed!

this type of scrutiny happens to all the candidates and each of them has to be personally responsible.

no candidate has been held more accountable than hillary and she handles these type of distractions with relative ease.

your attempt to dismiss carson because of an old lie about hillary just demonstrates your disconnect from reality.
Your kidding right? If a Republican lied about 4 Americans getting killed. They would be under the jail, not running for president.

except she didn't lie. there is a political lie going around that she supposedly lied and liars repeat it.

Less than edifying.

This was a lie.

hillary-clinton-in-1969-08.jpg

Yeah.... Peacenik Hil, one of the "New Radicals" was thinking of joining "The Enemy!"

Got it!! :rofl:

if she wanted to be a marine she would have signed up to try... and she didn't. true story.

When all this bullshit on Carson came out, I said... Hillary tells more (and bigger) lies before breakfast every morning.

very possibly. But Hillary also has a history of 30+ years in public service and a record we can scrutinize.

All Uncle Tom Carson has are these anecdotes about how awesome he is, as he's never held a public office.

You're right... Carson has one day back in high school where Hil has 30+ years of dead bodies and scandals behind her. She knows how to lie so much better than Carson it's not funny! Who's he kidding?

I agree but her lying is so bad and easily proved to be a lie. What i think is she knows she doesn't have to give a damn so it really doesn't matter what she says. Plus, maybe, with the brain injury she suffered she doesn't remember everything correctly.

Hey, maybe if it's Carson and Hillary in the debates, he can offer to operate on her brain to help her remember details better? How many times has she simply not been able to recall? I think this would be a grand gesture from Dr. Carson. ;)

Make it live and I am in.

Her memory really is faulty. She described coming under sniper fire, which Chelsea in tow yet in her book she describes the scene as it actually happened. One thing a good liar has to do is keep the story consistent, you know, like how Al Gore lies.

Less than edifying.

This was a lie.

Is the media investigating that Hillary did that? The same way they did Carson? The answer is no, so go back to the basement.
How many times are we going to go on a wild goose chase with the boys who cry wolf?

Less than edifying.

This was a lie.

A pink giraffe was seen humping a yellow unicorn, prove it didn't happen.

Her whole 60s attitude is enough to say BS on her story. Zebras don't all of a sudden change their stripes.

except she didn't lie. there is a political lie going around that she supposedly lied and liars repeat it.

AHhhh... kind of like what's happening to Dr. Carson? ...........thanks!

:lol: get a grip. carson is being held responsible for his own words.

carson has a snowball's chance in hell of ever being our president even if hillary clinton drops dead tomorrow.

Less than edifying.

This was a lie.

A pink giraffe was seen humping a yellow unicorn, prove it didn't happen.

Her whole 60s attitude is enough to say BS on her story. Zebras don't all of a sudden change their stripes.
I'm a bad ass liberal maybe she is too. She certainly is tough. Tougher than rubio.

Forum List

Back