Hillary says NRA needs a "rival" organization of responsible gun owners

NYcarbineer Nine states (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington) and DC require universal background checks at the point of sale for all transfers of all classes of firearms, including purchases from unlicensed sellers; Maryland andPennsylvania do the same for handgun ...

wow, 9 out of 50.
but in many others while the check is not required the owner is responsible for determining that the seller is legally allowed to buy firearms

Please show which states those are, and the avenues provided to do those background checks.

No, not legally anyway. BUT they can certainly find some illegal guns faster than the average citizen.

I can legally sell a gun to a felon.
If that gun that you sold was involved in a violent crime the sale would not be legal.
And why do you support arming Felons?

I don't support arming felons. Without universal background checks, I have no obligation to know who I am selling a gun to. I don't even have to ask their name.
Private Gun Sale Laws by State - FindLaw

You really should look at your own link. More states have no requirement for background checks on individual sales.
I never said they require background checks

I said and the link confirms that in many if not most states it is illegal to sell to anyone who is prohibited to buy a firearm.

So the onus is on the seller to find out if the buyer is eligible to buy a firearm

NYcarbineer Nine states (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington) and DC require universal background checks at the point of sale for all transfers of all classes of firearms, including purchases from unlicensed sellers; Maryland andPennsylvania do the same for handgun ...

wow, 9 out of 50.
but in many others while the check is not required the owner is responsible for determining that the seller is legally allowed to buy firearms

lol, how can the check be required and not required at the same time?

The onus is on the seller to determine that the buyer is eligible.

I don't know how many ways I can explain this to you idiots

wow, 9 out of 50.

Please show which states those are, and the avenues provided to do those background checks.

Look at the fucking list I gave you.

ANY FFL licensed dealer can run a background check.

Gun owners all know this

I can legally sell a gun to a felon.
If that gun that you sold was involved in a violent crime the sale would not be legal.

I don't support arming felons. Without universal background checks, I have no obligation to know who I am selling a gun to. I don't even have to ask their name.

You really should look at your own link. More states have no requirement for background checks on individual sales.

I said and the link confirms that in many if not most states it is illegal to sell to anyone who is prohibited to buy a firearm.

So the onus is on the seller to find out if the buyer is eligible to buy a firearm

Please post a link to that. If the seller can be shown to have prior knowledge, he is liable. There is no requirement, or avenue available for him to go out and get that prior knowledge if it doesn't already exist.

We already have reasonable restrictions.

Felons can't buy guns
The adjudicated mentally ill can't buy guns
Automatic weapons are highly restricted

What we need is enforcement of these restrictions and stiff mandatory sentences for any crime involving firearms

What we need is universal background checks so individuals will know if they are selling a gun to a felon, or mentally ill person.

You do know that it is illegal in most if not all states to sell a gun to anyone legally ineligible don't you?

And in all honesty private sales and transfers are not where most illegally obtained guns come from

Only if you know they are ineligible. How you gonna know that without a background check?

It is up to the seller to find out in many if not most states as the laws state that it is illegal to sell to anyone to anyone not allowed to own a firearm.

No it's not. That would require a background check. Read your own link to find out how few of them are available.

OBTUSE look it up.

If the fucking law says it is fucking illegal to sell to anyone prohibited to buy then in order for the seller to be within the bounds of the law he must determine that the buyer is eligible.

How does he determine that the buyer is eligible you ask.

He has a licensed FFL dealer run a check

Please post a link to that. If the seller can be shown to have prior knowledge, he is liable. There is no requirement, or avenue available for him to go out and get that prior knowledge if it doesn't already exist.

THE AVENUE IS A LICENSED FFL DEALER
ALL GUN OWNERS KNOW THIS ALREADY

wow, 9 out of 50.

Only one way will be sufficient. What efforts must the seller show to determine the eligibility of the buyer? You're trying really hard, but even you must see you are wrong by now. You're just making yourself look childish.

In many of those state laws prior knowledge is NOT a factor.

If the laws states as many do that it is illegal to sell to anyone ineligible to buy a gun then it is illegal to sell to anyone ineligible to buy a gun and the onus of that determination is on the seller.

How a seller complies with that law is to determine if the potential buyer is legally eligible to own a gun
He does that via a licensed FFL dealer in his state

wow, 9 out of 50.

Gun owners all know this

Yes, they can, but they are not required in most states for individual sales.

wow, 9 out of 50.

Only one way will be sufficient. What efforts must the seller show to determine the eligibility of the buyer? You're trying really hard, but even you must see you are wrong by now. You're just making yourself look childish.
No you're making yourself look like a thick skulled moron.

What we need is universal background checks so individuals will know if they are selling a gun to a felon, or mentally ill person.

You do know that it is illegal in most if not all states to sell a gun to anyone legally ineligible don't you?

And in all honesty private sales and transfers are not where most illegally obtained guns come from

Only if you know they are ineligible. How you gonna know that without a background check?

It is up to the seller to find out in many if not most states as the laws state that it is illegal to sell to anyone to anyone not allowed to own a firearm.

No it's not. That would require a background check. Read your own link to find out how few of them are available.

OBTUSE look it up.

If the fucking law says it is fucking illegal to sell to anyone prohibited to buy then in order for the seller to be within the bounds of the law he must determine that the buyer is eligible.

So you support background checks for individual sales? Be clear.

wow, 9 out of 50.

Gun owners all know this

Moot point.

if the law states that it is illegal to sell a firearm to a person legally prohibited to buy one then the onus is on the seller to determine that. He determines the buyer's eligibility by asking a licensed FFL dealer in his state to run a check
I have repeated this at least 4 fucking times in the past 5 minutes but you are incapable of understanding

wow, 9 out of 50.

Gun owners all know this

Moot point.

if the law states that it is illegal to sell a firearm to a person legally prohibited to buy one then the onus is on the seller to determine that. He determines the buyer's eligibility by asking a licensed FFL dealer in his state to run a check
I have repeated this at least 4 fucking times in the past 5 minutes but you are incapable of understanding

Oh I understand completely. I doubt that you do yet.

OBTUSE look it up.

So you support background checks for individual sales? Be clear.

Irrelevant. If it is illegal to sell to a person prohibited to own then the seller must determine that if he wishes to comply with the law. The only way to determine that is to ask an FFL to run the check.

If he doesn't wish to comply what the fuck can anyone do about it?

Forum List

Back