Historic Notre-Dame cathedral on fire

So tragic. Think about a building for which construction starting in the 1100s. The mind boggles. And I hesitate to admit this but, I was in Paris in 1987 in my late teens and have vivid memories of the Louvre, the parks, the Seine, the cafes, the Tuilleries--but I do not remember visiting Notre Dame. I know we DID, but we had just come off a two week trip in England in which we visited cathedral after cathedral and so....yeah. In my defense I wasn't even twenty yet so.....

I never been to France let alone Europe and most of my adventures were in the Far East. South East Asia.

Last edited:
So tragic. Think about a building for which construction starting in the 1100s. The mind boggles. And I hesitate to admit this but, I was in Paris in 1987 in my late teens and have vivid memories of the Louvre, the parks, the Seine, the cafes, the Tuilleries--but I do not remember visiting Notre Dame. I know we DID, but we had just come off a two week trip in England in which we visited cathedral after cathedral and so....yeah. In my defense I wasn't even twenty yet so.....

I never been to France let alone Europe and most of my adventures were in the Far East.

Grateful I went in the late 80s to be honest. I surely would not want to go to Europe now.

The good news is no lives were lost and all of the priceless art and scared relics were saved.
The Church will be rebuilt.

The church will definitely be rebuilt. I think the new Notre Dame Cathedral will make the one lost today look pathetic in comparison. This is an excellent opportunity to install a state of the art video and sound system, first class seating to provide more room for 21st Century rear ends. People were a lot skinnier when ND was originally built with the regular famines and that they had. An automated bell ringing system will eliminate the need to hire bell ringers. The HVAC system can be upgraded, as well as building a nice driveway and entrance so that worshippers can be dropped off at the front door and not get wet.
The church will definitely be rebuilt. I think the new Notre Dame Cathedral will make the one lost today look pathetic in comparison.
Talk about pathetic
This is an excellent opportunity to install a state of the art video and sound system, first class seating to provide more room for 21st Century rear ends. People were a lot skinnier when ND was originally built with the regular famines and that they had. An automated bell ringing system will eliminate the need to hire bell ringers. The HVAC system can be upgraded, as well as building a nice driveway and entrance so that worshippers can be dropped off at the front door and not get wet.
WAKE UP...WTF is wrong with you people

I'll say it again, since it apparently wasn't clear the first time since I've had to remove five people from this thread so far. If you attempt to turn this into a Muslim conspiracy you will be banned from the thread and receive points for ignoring warnings.

I never been to France let alone Europe and most of my adventures were in the Far East.

Grateful I went in the late 80s to be honest. I surely would not want to go to Europe now.

Me too. I travelled extensively in Europe for business in the 80's, and 90's, and glad I got to see it then when it was still European. I don't know if I would recognize it today, but I do think the media tends to distort things so I'd like to see it again and decide for myself.

Me too. I travelled extensively in Europe for business in the 80's, and 90's, and glad I got to see it then when it was still European. I don't know if I would recognize it today, but I do think the media tends to distort things so I'd like to see it again and decide for myself.

It's hardly that different. I go all the time for work.

Why? I go to Europe for work all the time. In fact, I'm here right now. Never had a problem with anyone

Well since you asked: in a word, terrorism. I don't feel it's safe anymore.

The worst terrorist attack happened in the USA, not Europe

I understand that but they're very pervasive there now. I wouldn't go there and wouldn't let my minor kids go on school trips there. I wasn't alone--pretty much every school trip to Europe in my district was canceled. No one wanted to send their kids.

I'm just tell you how it is.

Why? I go to Europe for work all the time. In fact, I'm here right now. Never had a problem with anyone

I understand that but they're very pervasive there now. I wouldn't go there and wouldn't let my minor kids go on school trips there. I wasn't alone--pretty much every school trip to Europe in my district was canceled. No one wanted to send their kids.

You're much more likely to win the Powerball Lottery, or be struck by lightning than being a victim of terrorism, here or in Europe. The Media sells FEAR to make you watch more. Don't believe it. Do I think Europe is going down the wrong path with flooding their country with refugees? Yes, but that doesn't mean it is unsafe to travel there.

I am more concerned with Europe losing its native culture, country by country than I am with the threat of being a victim of terrorism.

Yes, you folks in Jesus-land are pretty ignorant.

The chances of being caught in a terrorist incident in the US (and by Terrorist, you mean those icky Muslims, not white people, who commit a lot more violence) or Europe is actually about the same- pretty small.

Yes, you folks in Jesus-land are pretty ignorant.

The chances of being caught in a terrorist incident in the US (and by Terrorist, you mean those icky Muslims, not white people, who commit a lot more violence) or Europe is actually about the same- pretty small.

Only because the secret service police in Europe is so good at surveillance in preventing them.

That viewpoint is based in irrational paranoia. There is no reason whatsoever to be fearful of coming to Europe. You're safer in most places here than you are in most major American cities.

Forum List

Back