🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Historic Notre-Dame cathedral on fire

it had been badly neglected. Now the French will expect donations to rebuild it.

Notre Dame’s destruction was ‘bound to happen’ after years of neglect and lack of keep up, expert claims

The lack of real upkeep and daily attention to such a major building is the cause of this catastrophe,” Jean-Michel Leniaud, president of the scientific council at the national Heritage Institute told AFP. “This is not about looking for people to blame. The responsibility is collective because this is the most loved monument in the country.”

Personally? I think that the fire probably originated in an area that was undergoing renovation. And, Notre Dame was currently undergoing renovations.

From the OP's link...........................

The cathedral – immortalized in Victor Hugo’s 1831 novel “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” – was undergoing a massive $6.8 million renovation project when the blaze broke out. It was an effort to turn back the clock on centuries of neglect of the beloved monument.

Maybe in a way the blaze was a blessing in disguise. $6.8 million, versus the over $700 million they've raised in a matter of hours.
I read they would not be able to restore it to it’s original state because France did not have the tall trees it had back in the 12th century.

I say they import the wood from the Amazon rain forest. Those savages aren't using it.
Yes they are! They are making charcoal out of their trees so ewe can grill yer steaks!

it had been badly neglected. Now the French will expect donations to rebuild it.

Notre Dame’s destruction was ‘bound to happen’ after years of neglect and lack of keep up, expert claims

The lack of real upkeep and daily attention to such a major building is the cause of this catastrophe,” Jean-Michel Leniaud, president of the scientific council at the national Heritage Institute told AFP. “This is not about looking for people to blame. The responsibility is collective because this is the most loved monument in the country.”

Personally? I think that the fire probably originated in an area that was undergoing renovation. And, Notre Dame was currently undergoing renovations.

The cathedral – immortalized in Victor Hugo’s 1831 novel “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” – was undergoing a massive $6.8 million renovation project when the blaze broke out. It was an effort to turn back the clock on centuries of neglect of the beloved monument.

Maybe in a way the blaze was a blessing in disguise. $6.8 million, versus the over $700 million they've raised in a matter of hours.
I read they would not be able to restore it to it’s original state because France did not have the tall trees it had back in the 12th century.

I am sure that they will be using modern materials instead of wood when the new Notre Dame is built.

Macron said he wants it built in 5 years. It took 182 years to build it the first time, using the original building materials.

Something is going to have to give- the French can use steel and glass and space age polymors and finish it on time.

Or they use stone and wood and hope its done by the dawn of the 23rd Century.

I say they import the wood from the Amazon rain forest. Those savages aren't using it.
Yes they are! They are making charcoal out of their trees so ewe can grill yer steaks!

Maybe they do have one saving grace. Who grills with gas? Commies! That's who! :mad:

Notre Dame Rose Windows Are Safe, Paris Officials Say

Notre Dame Rose Windows Are Safe, Paris Officials Say

notre-dame-rose-windows-safe.jpg

:)

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Maybe they do have one saving grace. Who grills with gas? Commies! That's who! :mad:

I went to a pellet grill. I found it a lot easier than getting up in the middle of the night to add wood and charcoal for a long smoke. It does such a good job I use it for both grilling and smoking so I retired my Weber kettle although I still have it, just in case. It starts with electricity. All you have to do is fill the hopper with pellets, turn it on, set the temperature and that's it other than loading in the food you're cooking.

7302C5F0-6506-4343-870E-AB65509C9004.jpeg

These statues were removed from the spire just days earlier for repair and cleaning. It’s doubtful they would have survived the blaze, but I am so happy they will once again adorn the cathedral in the future.

View attachment 256175

These statues were removed from the spire just days earlier for repair and cleaning. It’s doubtful they would have survived the blaze, but I am so happy they will once again adorn the cathedral in the future.
Who decapitated those poor statues?

Hmmmmmm

Warning! Very Graphic Image of the last public execution by guillotine in France 1939

View attachment 256175

Who decapitated those poor statues?

Hmmmmmm

Warning! Very Graphic Image of the last public execution by guillotine in France 1939

At least it's quicker than hanging or frying....

Forum List

Back