History Quiz

USViking said:
Close enough: "Sevastopol" or "Sebastopol",
on the Crimean peninsula.

Give the lady a cigar!

Next question is yours.

Keeping in line with Russia......on the first day of the Nazi invasion, howmany planes did the Russians lose?

Said1 said:
Keeping in line with Russia......on the first day of the Nazi invasion, howmany planes did the Russians lose?
I'll have to find my copy of Russia at War
by Alexander Werth, a 1000-page tome
by a UK journalist who was in the USSR
for the duration.

If he doesn't have it, then no one has it.

I can't find Werth, but this link gives
a figure of 2000 USSR aircraft lost
on 6/22/41:

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1983/mar-apr/ratley.htm

(from the link)
22 June 1941. At 0340 on that date, the combined air assets of four Luftwaffe air fleets struck a devastating blow to the Red Air Force—a blow from which, in many respects, it has not recovered to this day. The Luftwaffe used 1280 operationally ready combat aircraft for the first series of air strikes in the war against the Soviet Union.2 With these air assets the Luftwaffe destroyed more than 2000 Soviet aircraft on the first day of the campaign in approximately 18 hours of combat...

Someone else please ask a question.

USViking said:
Was that the battle in which Constantine won
the Roman Empire, allowing Christianity to win it as well?

The Battle of Milvan Bridge.

Next.

Inspired by a dream the night before the battle, what did he do to the soldiers sheilds. Easy one, right?

Said1 said:
The Battle of Milvan Bridge.

Next.

Inspired by a dream the night before the battle, what did he do to the soldiers sheilds. Easy one, right?
Good question, which I had to look up.

I'll give M. p. emperor a shot at it before
I say anything.

in his dream, Constantin heard "In hoc Signo vinces", showing a cross. The its army had shields with cross painted on. And the flags of the Roman were wearing the monogram of the Christ (XP), which flags are called "Labarum".

Go on, viking ;)

padisha emperor said:
in his dream, Constantin heard "In hoc Signo vinces", showing a cross. The its army had shields with cross painted on. And the flags of the Roman were wearing the monogram of the Christ (XP), which flags are called "Labarum".

Go on, viking ;)

Go ahead. Ask something about Napoleon. Something like "how tall was he?" You know, easy.

USViking said:
Heh heh- I knew his rank was quite low,
but I confess to having to google to
find out exactly how low.

This should be a good one for M. emperor.

I googled too. Was surprised, thought it was a bit higher. Oh well, street smarts. :cof:

Said1 said:
You have to answer the previous queston.

Japan did surrender. Do you mean prior to this?
Oh, didn't know that a question had been asked. >.> My bad!

Actually, prior to their surrender. They said they would surrender if Russia had declared war on them.

Forum List

Back