History Quiz

padisha emperor said:
I know that Herodote wrote about the Thermopyles, but I don't think it's him, uh ?

No, this was a poet whose few surviving fragments enjoy a high reputation to this day.

The only hints I can think of are that he was born on the island of Cos and died in Sicliy, was a younger contemporary of the poet Anacreon, and for a time enjoyed the patronage of the Athenian tyrants Piesistratus, Hippias, and Hipparchus.

USViking said:
Question:

Poet who composed the epitaph at the monument for the Greek dead at Thermopolae (very loosely translated):

Go tell Sparta, traveller passing by,
That here, obedient to her laws, we lie.
The answer is Simonides.

Let's try another Question:

US Vice President who greatest claim to fame was coining the phrase:

"What this country needs is a good five-cent cigar"
(the answer is googlable).

USViking said:
The answer is Simonides.

Let's try another Question:

US Vice President who greatest claim to fame was coining the phrase:

"What this country needs is a good five-cent cigar"
(the answer is googlable).
Thomas Riley Marshall
Pass the question...

Ok, but you all seem to like to go obscure. One of the writer's of the Federalist Papers, especially regarding the legislative branch. He was a delegate to the Convention, but gave a heck of a speech, that would form the basis for his contributions...

Kathianne said:
Ok, but you all seem to like to go obscure. One of the writer's of the Federalist Papers, especially regarding the legislative branch. He was a delegate to the Convention, but gave a heck of a speech, that would form the basis for his contributions...

Eenie, meenie, minie, moe-

Madison?

gop_jeff said:
According to that link, Wilson was an author of the Anti-Federalist Papers, not the Federalist papers, as you asked in your question.

Jeff you are so right! Clunk me on the head. :slap:
Ask away!

We'll let Gop Jeff break in with a question later.

Question:

Composer/translater of the Vulgate (Latin) Bible, which was the sole Bible for Western Christendom for 12 centuries, and the sole liturgical Roman Catholic Bible for 16 centuries.

USViking said:
We'll let Gop Jeff break in with a question later.

Question:

Composer/translater of the Vulgate (Latin) Bible, which was the sole Bible for Western Christendom for 12 centuries, and the sole liturgical Roman Catholic Bible for 16 centuries.

help me out here, are we speaking Hebrew into Latin?

Forum List

Back