History Quiz

USViking said:
I'm afraid I don't know this one.

I'll google in a few hours if no one else gets it.

don't be afraid : the English gave to it an other name, Blenheim. But for the 3 battles engaged here, the 2 victories and the defeat - "blenheim" - , the French give an other name, name of the city. It's like Borodino and La Moskowa : the 2 names are used.

;)

If nobody get it, and if you don't fnd it on google, go on and ask a question if I'm not connected. I will give the answer later ;)

padisha emperor said:
don't be afraid : the English gave to it an other name, Blenheim. But for the 3 battles engaged here, the 2 victories and the defeat - "blenheim" - , the French give an other name, name of the city. It's like Borodino and La Moskowa : the 2 names are used.

;)

If nobody get it, and if you don't fnd it on google, go on and ask a question if I'm not connected. I will give the answer later ;)

Numerous googles on "Moreau" and 'Blenheim", failed to produce an answer.

My Encyclopedia Brittanica article on the Napoleonic wars mentions a battle
of Engen won by Moreau in 1800. Is that it?

Höchstädt.

1703 : Maréchal de Villars won against Austria.
1704 : victory of Prince Eugène de Savoie-Carignan and Malborourgh (Blenheim for the English)
1800 : victory of Moreau against Austria

;)

go on, USViking

padisha emperor said:
Höchstädt.

1703 : Maréchal de Villars won against Austria.
1704 : victory of Prince Eugène de Savoie-Carignan and Malborourgh (Blenheim for the English)
1800 : victory of Moreau against Austria

;)

go on, USViking

So Moreau had a very good year in 1800!

Let's get away from central Europe, and military history.

Question:

First woman to serve in the UK House of Commons,
she was born in Danville, Virginia, USA.

USViking said:
So Moreau had a very good year in 1800!

Let's get away from central Europe, and military history.

Question:

First woman to serve in the UK House of Commons,
she was born in Danville, Virginia, USA.
Lady Astor-Became 'Lady' after, though I doubt Winston agreed with that!

Swiss citizen, he founded an organisation to rescue the wounded soldiers during the war, after the bloody battle of Solferino - 1959 - where Napoleon III defeated the austrian army (or was it during Magenta, same year same result ? don't remember....nevermind...)

>>Name of the organisation, and above all of this Swiss (he got the Nobel Prize of the peace)

padisha emperor said:
Swiss citizen, he founded an organisation to rescue the wounded soldiers during the war, after the bloody battle of Solferino - 1959 - where Napoleon III defeated the austrian army (or was it during Magenta, same year same result ? don't remember....nevermind...)

>>Name of the organisation, and above all of this Swiss (he got the Nobel Prize of the peace)

Dunant & Red Cross.

Kathianne said:
Red Cross was Barton? Way before 1959.

Typo on 1959- must have been 1859.

I am sure Dunant was at least a cofounder of the Red Cross, and that he won a Nobel Peace prize for it, I believe the first one.

So:

Question:
Wife of Augustus, she was trashed by the Roman historians Tacitus and Seutonius, whose works were the basis for Robert Graves I Claudius much later.

USViking said:
Typo on 1959- must have been 1859.

I am sure Dunant was at least a cofounder of the Red Cross, and that he won a Nobel Peace prize for it, I believe the first one.

So:

Question:
Wife of Augustus, she was trashed by the Roman historians Tacitus and Seutonius, whose works were the basis for Robert Graves I Claudius much later.
Right you are:
The International Red Cross

When Miss Barton sailed for Europe in 1869, she found there an even wider field for service. Friends in Geneva, Switzerland introduced her to the Red Cross idea, and she read for the first time the famous book, A Memory of Solferino by Henry Dunant, founder of the Red Cross Movement. The first treaty embodying Dunant's idea had been drawn up in Geneva in 1864. (This was called variously the Geneva Treaty, the Red Cross Treaty, and the Geneva Convention.) Later Miss Barton fought hard and successfully for the signing of this treaty by the United States.

A more immediate call to action came to her with the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian War in 1870. Though not yet allied to the Red Cross, she knew the needs of war and went to the war zone with volunteers of the International Red Cross. To protect herself with the internationally accepted symbol, she used a red ribbon she was wearing and made a cross to pin on her coat. It was characteristic that the first Red Cross symbol she wore was one she made herself. She helped to distribute relief supplies to the destitute in the conquered city of Strasbourg and elsewhere in France.

Founding and Leading the American Red Cross

After she returned to the United States, Miss Barton corresponded with Red Cross officials in Switzerland. They looked on her as the natural leader for carrying the Red Cross Movement to this country and for influencing the United States government to sign the Geneva Treaty.

In 1877, the head of the International Committee of the Red Cross sent her a letter addressed to the President of the United States, asking her to present it. Although she presented the letter, the administration of President Hayes looked on the Geneva Treaty as a possible "entangling alliance." She was determined and kept her efforts until President Arthur signed and the Senate ratified the treaty in 1882.

In 1881, Miss Barton and a group of supporters formed the American Association of the Red Cross as a District of Columbia corporation. Reincorporated as the American National Red Cross in 1893, the organization was given a charter by Congress in 1900 and in 1905. The 1905 charter and its amendments provide a basis for today's American Red Cross and nurture close working relations between the federal government and the American Red Cross.

Question:

Poet who composed the epitaph at the monument for the Greek dead at Thermopolae (very loosely translated):

Go tell Sparta, traveller passing by,
That here, obedient to her laws, we lie.

Forum List

Back