History Quiz

padisha emperor said:
No new questions, so...

Last Great Master of the Temple Order. Burnt by Philippe IV le Bel in 1314.
Jacques de Molay.

I could not recall his name, and had to google, even though he was the subject of a history quiz question on another board several months ago.

(PS : congratulations Said1 for miss Canada as miss universe ;) )
Whatever else you may say about them, Canadian women are good looking!

Question:
Future French Marshall who served under Napoleon very early in their careers at Toulon. He was distinguished as a subordinate, much less successful in independent command. He survived the wars, was pardoned, and was a representative of the French government at the coronation of Queen Victoria.

Jean de Dieu SOULT.

(I think it's him, he was famuos to lead an army as subordinate than as chief.

Excellent officer, great marshall. (awesome job at Austerlitz, and also great at Iena and Eylau).

And he was pardonated after the Napoleonic wars, and become minister under the Monarchy.

If it's correct, I have also a question then ;)

padisha emperor said:
Jean de Dieu SOULT.

(I think it's him, he was famuos to lead an army as subordinate than as chief.

Excellent officer, great marshall. (awesome job at Austerlitz, and also great at Iena and Eylau).

And he was pardonated after the Napoleonic wars, and become minister under the Monarchy.

If it's correct, I have also a question then ;)

Indeed you do have a question!

it was him ? good.

Napoleon's marshall, he was UNDEFEATED.
He was with Napoleon since the Egypt.
Victorious against Prussia at Auerstaedt, the same day of the battle of Iena, he fought at one against two but win all the same.

Napoleon gave to him a lot of admiration, and some people said about this marshall : "maybe a Caesar of the Caesars".

It's one of the most famous, a real great stratege and leader. Faithfull to Napoleon until the second abdication.

Who is he ?

padisha emperor said:
it was him ? good.

Napoleon's marshall, he was UNDEFEATED.
He was with Napoleon since the Egypt.
Victorious against Prussia at Auerstaedt, the same day of the battle of Iena, he fought at one against two but win all the same.

Napoleon gave to him a lot of admiration, and some people said about this marshall : "maybe a Caesar of the Caesars".

It's one of the most famous, a real great stratege and leader. Faithfull to Napoleon until the second abdication.

Who is he ?

He is big, brave, bad, bald Davout.

Created Duke of Auerstadt, for the name of the battle where he engaged
the bulk of the Prussian army which Napoleon mistakenly thought he himself was engaging simulataneously at Jena.

Question:

A king once invited a philosopher to dinner.

The philosopher's two letter reply was a trans-liguistic pun:

"Ja" (ie "J'ai grand appetit"(sp?) in French).

Who was the king, and who was the philosopher?

padisha emperor said:
Frederic II the Great of Prussia and Voltaire ?
Excellent!

??
sorry, I don't understand what does it mean (what is the relation between the "JA" and the "j'ai grand appétit")
"J"= pronounced the same as "j'ai"
Also= big, large letter "J".

"a"= small letter "a"
Also= pronounced the same as "appetit".

ie "I have a big appetite" in English.

And "Ja" means "yes" in German- ie "Yes" (I accept the invitation).

padisha emperor said:
The 30 Years War started in this city. By an "original" event, in 1618.

What was this event, and this city ?

(USViking, sorry for beeing late, and your "french ersatz" was not so bad ;) )

I may be way off here, but was it the "Defenestration of Prague"?

USViking said:
I may be way off here, but was it the "Defenestration of Prague"?

Google tells me this answer is correct.

Question:

The greatest Swedish commander of the Thirty Years War my have been
this general, rather than Gustavus Adolphus.

Late in the war, he greatly improved his side's postion with a complete rout of Imperial forces at the battle of Jankow.

He was often crippled by gout, and had to exercise his command from a litter.

USViking said:
Google tells me this answer is correct.

Question:

The greatest Swedish commander of the Thirty Years War my have been
this general, rather than Gustavus Adolphus.

Late in the war, he greatly improved his side's postion with a complete rout of Imperial forces at the battle of Jankow.

He was often crippled by gout, and had to exercise his command from a litter.

Tilly ?

(the two generals of the 30 years war, except the french ones and Gustave Adolphe, are him and Wallenstein)

padisha emperor said:
Ach!- Tilly was an Imperial general, twice defeated by Gustavus Adolphus
(at Breitenfeld, GA's first great victory of the war, and at Lech, where he was mortally wounded).

(the two generals of the 30 years war, except the french ones and Gustave Adolphe, are him and Wallenstein)
My reading leaves me with the impression the Swedish general I am hinting at was second to none as a great captain of the Thirty Years War. He attained prominence I think over 10 years after most of the more famous non- French generals had died.

padisha emperor said:
I don't know; Tilly, Wallenstein for the Empire, Condé and Turenne for France and Gustave-Adolphe were the only i know.

who was it ?
Or maybe, you may give some hint

Lennart Torstensson- he showed great ability first as a subordinate in command of the Swedish army's artillery, and later as CC of all Swedish forces, during which he won several decisive victories over Imperial forces, as well as against Denmark in a separate war.

Here is one link with his bio:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Lennart Torstensson

Someone else go ahead and ask a question.

I really didn't know him. Thanks ;) ;)

Blenheim is a famous battle for English, in 1704, here won the prince Eugène (traitror :D) and Malborourgh against the French. But one year before, in 1703, the Maréchal de Villars, a great french officer, won also here against the Austrians, and in 1800, the general Moreau defeated the Austrian army.

What is the other name of Blenheim of 1703 and 1800 ? (in France the searched name is also use for the battle of 1704).

hint : german name, city on the Danube

padisha emperor said:
I really didn't know him. Thanks ;) ;)

Blenheim is a famous battle for English, in 1704, here won the prince Eugène (traitror :D) and Malborourgh against the French. But one year before, in 1703, the Maréchal de Villars, a great french officer, won also here against the Austrians, and in 1800, the general Moreau defeated the Austrian army.

What is the other name of Blenheim of 1703 and 1800 ? (in France the searched name is also use for the battle of 1704).

hint : german name, city on the Danube

I believe Moreau's most famous victory was Hohenlinden- is that what you're looking for?

Forum List

Back