History Quiz

USViking said:
No, sorry- I do not think the man I am thinking of has the same highest stature as an original theologian as Augustine and Aquinas do.
Ok, St. Jerome.

Early 20th C progressive writer. His first 'hit' was self-published, after several rejections. He enjoyed continued success as a writer, but less as a politician.

KarlMarx said:
Sinclair Lewis

Kathianne said:
1/2 right. Dead giveaway!

Upton Sinclair.

Question:

In the first decade of the 20th century the power of the UK House of Lords
was finally and completely emasculated.

This was accomplished by a threat posed by the House of Commons, acting in conjunction with the king, who had the sole power to carry out the threat.

What was the threat?

USViking said:
Upton Sinclair.

Question:

In the first decade of the 20th century the power of the UK House of Lords
was finally and completely emasculated.

This was accomplished by a threat posed by the House of Commons, acting in conjunction with the king, who had the sole power to carry out the threat.

What was the threat?

George V was king, right?

George was going to appoint enough liberal peerages to push through what the Tories wanted regarding reform. The House of Lords gave in.

We'll try to make this a bit more clear. In ancient Egypt, two geographically dissimilar civilizations had arisen. They were eventually united. An article that each had, was redeveloped to symbolize the uniting into one large Egyptian civilization.

What was that article that was used symobolically? How did it do so? Who was the first pharoh over unified Egypt?

Kathianne said:
This article was used to symbolize the joining of two civilizations in ancient Egypt. What was it? How was did it symbolize the joining?

Wh-a-a-a-t?!

You may as well give a big, fat hint; no, several of them, because no one is going to get this!

Well, I may be underestimating the others, and should speak for myself. Why don't you wait about 12 hrs, and then post some hints.

USViking said:
Wh-a-a-a-t?!

You may as well give a big, fat hint; no, several of them, because no one is going to get this!

Well, I may be underestimating the others, and should speak for myself. Why don't you wait about 12 hrs, and then post some hints.
Hey my dear, tried to make it more understandable, did it help? :eek:

Kathianne said:
Oh well, it was the crown:

One had been white, one had been red. After unification they incorporated both colors. The pharoh was Menes, according to the 6th grade text I use and this site:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/bstone/pharaohs.htm

I know next to nothing about ancient Egypt; I should brush up on it.

Let's give someone else a chance to ask a question.

I may ask one Fri. if no one else does.

Kathianne said:
Oh well, it was the crown:

One had been white, one had been red. After unification they incorporated both colors. The pharoh was Menes, according to the 6th grade text I use and this site:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/bstone/pharaohs.htm

damned, I knew it ! I believe it was called PSCHENT. (the double crown).

Question : Battle in the Greek Antiquity.
The winner general, a Theban, was a bright military, and won against an ennemy army - Spartes - with less soldiers than it, by application of a strategic principe, like Napoleon (a famous principe)

What was this battle ? the name of this general ? this principe ? (if you get only the 2 first, it would be ok, and then ask a question ;) )

padisha emperor said:
damned, I knew it ! I believe it was called PSCHENT. (the double crown).

Question : Battle in the Greek Antiquity.
The winner general, a Theban, was a bright military, and won against an ennemy army - Spartes - with less soldiers than it, by application of a strategic principe, like Napoleon (a famous principe)

What was this battle ? the name of this general ? this principe ? (if you get only the 2 first, it would be ok, and then ask a question ;) )
Epaminondas was the general? Battle of Leuctra?

I'll wait to see if that is correct.

Forum List

Back