Holocaust History

For decades, Israel’s attempts to defend itself have been called “impudent” by critics around the world. This has not changed during the ongoing war in Gaza.

But the “impudent Jew” pejorative emerged decades before the state of Israel. In Imperial and Weimar Germany, the slur was regularly used against Jews in defamation prosecutions.

Der freche Jude,” loosely translated as “the impudent Jew,” later became a central theme in Nazi propaganda during the 1930s. Later, in keeping with the Nazi regime’s penchant for euphemisms, “impudent Jew” was the offense applied to cards made for 30,000 Jewish men in Germany who were arrested during Kristallnacht and sent to concentration camps.

(full article online )

Since reading a 2016 Times of Israel article about Treblinka survivor Leon Rytz, who lives in Sweden and was in the Skarżysko-Kamienna and Czestochowa HASAG camps, I have wanted to write to fill in some facts about the two camps based on my own experience.

My name is Eugenia Lipman. My mother Lea Abramowcz and I were in the HASAG factories and camps in Skarzysko-Kamienna and in Czestochowa for two years and three months, from October 1942 until January 1945, when we were liberated by the Red Army in Czestochowa.

HASAG (Hugo & Alfred Schneider Acktien Gesellschaft), a Leipzig-based factory, grew during the war to become a huge ammunition producer, important for Hitler’s war, with a chain of factories in many places, including Skarzysko-Kamienna. HASAG obtained a permit to use Jewish slaves, incarcerated in camps connected to the places of work.

(full article online)

Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB), formerly the KGB, published on the occasion of International Holocaust Remembrance Day 11 secret documents about the murder of Jews in the territories of the former Soviet Union during World War II. These documents were buried in the Russian archives for 82 years and are being published just now to reveal the former USSR's role in the liberation of Auschwitz, as well as the role of Ukrainian nationalists in the murder of Jews in the service of the Nazis.

(full article online)

Born in Milan in 1930, Segre fled from Nazi persecution in Italy with her father in December 1943.

After failing to secure refuge in Switzerland, the pair were sent by train to the Auschwitz death camp in Nazi-occupied Poland the following month, where her father and grandparents were murdered.

Along with other Jewish prisoners transferred from Auschwitz in January 1945, Segre was taken to the Ravensbruck concentration camp in Germany.

Weeks later she was moved to another camp operated by the Nazis which was eventually liberated by the Soviet Red Army.

Segre was made an Italian senator for life by President Sergio Mattarella in Jan. 2018.

In her speech on Tuesday, Segre added that she was opposed to “wars, invasions, all that is violence.” She then issued a call for more “moderation” in politics, acknowledging that this term is “out of fashion” but “deeply needed.”

The commission also heard from the Italian Interior Minister, Matteo Piantedosi, who noted with alarm the “net increase” in antisemitism in Italy over the last three months.

Between Oct. 7 and Dec. 31, 135 antisemitic incidents were reported, Piantedosi said. Approximately 28,000 Jews live in Italy.

“Antisemitism represents the paradigm of all forms of hatred, as it sums up all discriminatory matrices, from racial to religious hatred,” Piantedosi observed. “[It is] a hatred that has its roots in the history of humanity, in prejudice and in disinformation.”

Piantedosi also condemned a far right march over the weekend in which participants offered fascist salutes.

Sunday’s march, which drew about 1,000 protesters, “arouses indignation,” he said, but had not been banned because to have done so would have been “counterproductive.”

(full article online)

Nationalism is ugly whether it's Black, Jewish, Christian, White, Arab or Nazi.

Herman Godes
Pianist Herman Godes performing at West Virginia University on March, 17, 1967. Credit: Printed with permission by the West Virginia & Regional History Center.

After four years of surviving life in a concentration camp, Herman Godes was liberated, left Europe, moved to New York City, began practicing piano again and found his career accelerating.

He died in 2007, but his wife, Catherine Godes, who teachesmusic at Tennessee Tech, continues to tell the story of her husband’s survival during the years of World War II and the Holocaust. She sees sharing this history with her students as critical for enabling them to better understand what is happening now after the Oct. 7 Hamas terrorist attacks in Israel.

“So many students today do not really understand what they are seeing in the news,” she said. “I think knowing the history, they can hear about what’s going on with more understanding and maybe more empathy.”

Godes said that education was “the key to understanding” and that “you can still have your opinions but with a little bit more perspective on what’s really happening.”

She described how Herman’s mother was a concert pianist and taught him to play. “He was enormously talented,” she said. After the war, she said he “quickly learned English and started his career again. He started to practice and everything came back. His career started to take off and he enjoyed this very wonderful life of performing.”

Godes said her husband “had this optimism about him. Many of his fellow survivors were still very bitter, but Herman’s attitude was quite different.”

She discussed how in addition to instructing on the music fundamentals, she tells her students about Herman and his survival. “The reaction is always shock. Some [people] are overwhelmed. … I’m always amazed that they don’t really know that much about it. But I think the students embrace the knowledge and embrace my story.”

Forum List

Back