Homeschooling surges as parents realize how worthless public schools are

Nothing many of us didn't already know.

"I think the future for homeschooling is really bright," he said. "All the grownups have learned during the pandemic that work is something that you do, not somewhere that you go." And that has led many of them to rethink traditional schooling models as well.

Parents in the U.S. are continuing to show elevated interest in homeschooling, signaling a potential surge as the future of institutional in-person schooling throughout the country remains unclear in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Beginning just over a year ago, schools throughout the country began to close down for fears that schoolchildren might contribute to the spread of COVID-19. Most school districts switched to "virtual" learning models in which students studied lessons via Zoom-based instruction, with many of them required to sit in front of computer screens for long hours every day.

Interest in homeschooling shot up late last year, particularly as teachers nationwide were refusing to return to classrooms and in-person education in the winter and spring of 2021 appeared less likely.

Some schools across the country have since opened up for in-person instruction, yet homeschooling leaders across the country are reporting still-elevated homeschool activity from parents who in normal years would likely not have considered it.

Johannes Ziegler, the founder and CEO of the home instruction company Miacademy, said he "absolutely" expects interest in homeschooling to remain elevated above its earlier levels.

Let everyone who wants put their money towards homeschooling private education. Those that want to go to public school, PAY for it.

Why is it so difficult for some people to remember that education to a certain age is mandatory in the US?
I remember being a kid and finding that hard to believe actually.
If it was mandatory, how come all the schools kept throwing me out, was my question.
That might have been the wrong question...
Yeah, I was a slow learner, lol.

It took me a really long time to realize that they didn't much care whether or not I learned the material, it was about teaching me to conform.

Interesting question though. If your teacher stopped you from setting your desk on fire, is that forcing you to conform? What about driving on the same side of the road as everyone else? Not stealing? Not killing at random? "Conform" can mean a lot of things.

"I think the future for homeschooling is really bright," he said. "All the grownups have learned during the pandemic that work is something that you do, not somewhere that you go." And that has led many of them to rethink traditional schooling models as well.

Parents in the U.S. are continuing to show elevated interest in homeschooling, signaling a potential surge as the future of institutional in-person schooling throughout the country remains unclear in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Beginning just over a year ago, schools throughout the country began to close down for fears that schoolchildren might contribute to the spread of COVID-19. Most school districts switched to "virtual" learning models in which students studied lessons via Zoom-based instruction, with many of them required to sit in front of computer screens for long hours every day.

Interest in homeschooling shot up late last year, particularly as teachers nationwide were refusing to return to classrooms and in-person education in the winter and spring of 2021 appeared less likely.

Some schools across the country have since opened up for in-person instruction, yet homeschooling leaders across the country are reporting still-elevated homeschool activity from parents who in normal years would likely not have considered it.

Johannes Ziegler, the founder and CEO of the home instruction company Miacademy, said he "absolutely" expects interest in homeschooling to remain elevated above its earlier levels.
And another butt hurt from the "conservatives"

Home schooling has gone up because people are worried about sending kids in the petri dish that schools are now so that you can get your morning order of 6 mcmuffins, 4 hash browns, 8 cinnamon rolls. and. of course, a diet coke.
???????
Faux Butt-hurt Trumpinistas are looking for another faux issue to show their faux rage.

On the one hand they demand schools reopen and on the other they demand schools close down so everyone can "home school."

Like watching a cat with a laser pen.

Who demanded schools close so everyone has to homeschool?
I believe schools closed under Trump.

We want the schools open. When it is safe to do so.
You want the schools closed. Permanently.
That's the intent of this thread.

Where did your strawman go to school?
Who?
Reagan? Limbaugh?

Who has demanded that schools close permanently? That was your claim.
I'm sorry. Interaction requires a minimum knowledge of the topic. You are excused.
Then you're in luck, because I have much, much more knowledge of the topic than you. Unlike you, I'm not afraid of simple questions, so if you want to learn something just ask.
Yeah, a person too ignorant to know 40 years of Republican policy is waaaaaaaay to ignorant to teach a rock to be still.
You ready to answer the question now? Or are you too "ignorant"?
Read on my tiny minded ignoramus.
This 'persona' you are trying so hard (too hard) to act out is really not working for you. You do not present yourself as intelligent or well-informed, despite what you seem to be hoping for. How about you just stop being a douche bag?
Please little dick licker.
A pair of frog legs in sauce shows more intellect than you're capable of understanding.
ME? Like an ant trying to comprehend VR tech.

As I told you earlier, you're just not smart enough to participate.
Like to say I'm sorry for humiliating you but, sorry, no.

Home schooling has gone up because people are worried about sending kids in the petri dish that schools are now so that you can get your morning order of 6 mcmuffins, 4 hash browns, 8 cinnamon rolls. and. of course, a diet coke.
???????
Faux Butt-hurt Trumpinistas are looking for another faux issue to show their faux rage.

On the one hand they demand schools reopen and on the other they demand schools close down so everyone can "home school."

Who?
Reagan? Limbaugh?

I'm sorry. Interaction requires a minimum knowledge of the topic.
Is this your pattern? One pointless, idiotic post then you run away for a week?
As noted, you are simply too ignorant of the topic to be involved in the conversation. .....

As retorted, I actually know much, much, much more about the topic than you do. Go ahead and say the word "ignorant" a few more times, you buffoon.
OK. But only because [sic] not bright enough to ask for something better.
ignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorant

And just for your [sic]..ignoramus.

"just for your"? Learn some English, idiot.
Oh lookie? It's the moron branch of the IGP!

Don't you have some underwear to sniff?

???????

Who?
Reagan? Limbaugh?

I'm sorry. Interaction requires a minimum knowledge of the topic. You are excused.
Then you're in luck, because I have much, much more knowledge of the topic than you. Unlike you, I'm not afraid of simple questions, so if you want to learn something just ask.
Yeah, a person too ignorant to know 40 years of Republican policy is waaaaaaaay to ignorant to teach a rock to be still.
You ready to answer the question now? Or are you too "ignorant"?
Read on my tiny minded ignoramus.
This 'persona' you are trying so hard (too hard) to act out is really not working for you. You do not present yourself as intelligent or well-informed, despite what you seem to be hoping for. How about you just stop being a douche bag?
Please little dick licker.
A pair of frog legs in sauce shows more intellect than you're capable of understanding.
ME? Like an ant trying to comprehend VR tech.

As I told you earlier, you're just not smart enough to participate.
Like to say I'm sorry for humiliating you but, sorry, no.

You realize you're making a fool of yourself, right?

???????

Who?
Reagan? Limbaugh?

I'm sorry. Interaction requires a minimum knowledge of the topic.
Is this your pattern? One pointless, idiotic post then you run away for a week?
As noted, you are simply too ignorant of the topic to be involved in the conversation. .....

As retorted, I actually know much, much, much more about the topic than you do. Go ahead and say the word "ignorant" a few more times, you buffoon.
OK. But only because [sic] not bright enough to ask for something better.
ignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorant

And just for your [sic]..ignoramus.

"just for your"? Learn some English, idiot.
Oh lookie? It's the moron branch of the IGP!

Don't you have some underwear to sniff?

You're failing pretty badly at this whole troll thing, kid. Try something else.

But I do like my off the cuff monetary value for poor people having tax credits based off of their kids grades.

That's difficult when you consider all the reasons why one student might have different grades than another. Might end up with a new tax on the poorest families/students with the most challenges to overcome.
A tax credit can't be a new tax. I ... Wouldn't think.

You would be surprised how many of my students are homeless and/or working full time and/or living with adults who have mental illness or addiction.
You're likely right. I'm, compared to a great many people here I'm sure, a country boy. I've seen meth and alcohol fuck up some of my family members... So sure... It happens here as well... Hell, a close family member was a drug dealer. But it's not a normal thing. I am, and my situation, is a pretty damn big outlier to my surroundings. Some of the things you city folk deal with, and frankly do or don't because of them, is absolutely flabbergasting to me.

[As noted, you are simply too ignorant of the topic to be involved in the conversation. But, as a courtesy...

Republicans, tiny minded "conservatives" have been trying to shut down public schools for 40 years under the lie of "school choice."
Republicans don't give a damn about choice or education.
In fact, the republican elite want people ignorant and stupid. Ignorant and stupid is the core of their base. Ignorant and stupid is what they like to call the "bigger tent" and, of course, the ignorant and stupid, being ignorant and stupid, fall for the lies like a line of dominoes,
WHY, You say? Well being an ignorant tiny minded "conservative" I'd expect that you wouldn't understand the plan.
UNIONS
Get rid of the schools and you get rid of the NEA and half a million union activists.
Republicans along with their tiny minded "conservative" servants have been trying to destroy unions for 50 years.

That you claim not to know this clearly paints you as a tiny minded ignoramus or just a liar.
Sorry, nothing in between.

Next time, fool, know when to STFU!
Always remember... Nobody can make you look like anything. You have to do it.
"""""""
Apparently you ran out.
Ran out of what?
""

A study I saw said 7-9% of K-12 students in the US are being homeschooled. What surprises me the most about this homeschool phenomenon is that such a large number of parents are able to stay home with their kids and make that happen.

The growth of online resources and even formal online schools make the teaching part much easier for parents, but it surprises me that that many are able and willing to stay home with their kids and go that route.

A study I saw said 7-9% of K-12 students in the US are being homeschooled. What surprises me the most about this homeschool phenomenon is that such a large number of parents are able to stay home with their kids and make that happen.

The growth of online resources and even formal online schools make the teaching part much easier for parents, but it surprises me that that many are able and willing to stay home with their kids and go that route.

During this Covid time, a lot of families have discovered that they could manage with one income. It takes a lot of sacrifices, but if a family is committed to it, such a 'traditional' family structure can still work.

Let everyone who wants put their money towards homeschooling private education. Those that want to go to public school, PAY for it.

Why is it so difficult for some people to remember that education to a certain age is mandatory in the US?
If it was mandatory, how come all the schools kept throwing me out, was my question.

It took me a really long time to realize that they didn't much care whether or not I learned the material, it was about teaching me to conform.
You sure it wasn't you preventing everyone else from learning?
There was some of that but the bullshit wasn't all one way. I sure wasn't an angel but a lot of them were petty little tyrants too.

I had one teacher who would spend the entire class narrating notes to us from an overhead projector that we were to copy word for word. Thing is, I had already read the entire text book and there was nothing in his notes that wasn't in the book..... so the notes were just a way for him to kill time.

I aced the test but he penalized me for not having a notebook full of redundant shit.
I took it higher and he was forced to change my grade. Later I realized it was all an enormous waste of time because no one actually cared what my grades were, ( including me), as long as I passed.

Anyway, he was far from the worst..... at least he didn't lock me in a storage room or physically attack me.

Interesting question though. If your teacher stopped you from setting your desk on fire, is that forcing you to conform? What about driving on the same side of the road as everyone else? Not stealing? Not killing at random? "Conform" can mean a lot of things.
I agree; there are usually good reasons for conforming to the environment you're in, it's just that like anything else, those charged with enforcing that, ( or those who take it upon themselves to enforce it) sometimes abuse that.

Kids don't really have the necessary skills or tools to deal with those people.

....not every kid is educatable.......

I don't believe that.
Results show you to be wrong...can't ague with the numbers...and that's why you get so bent when you are challenged....

Educating students does NOT mean that every single kid goes to Harvard. If you are so quick to give up on kids, it's a damn good thing you never tried to be a teacher.
Very true

Turning an F student into a C student is as admirable as getting an A student into Harvard

we do

Homeschooling is good for the taxpayers- school buildings cost money to heat, transportation and food service add to the costs as well. Further, the government schools really don't produce educated kids.

I was talking to a friend of mine who went to government school. His dad had to give him a switchblade to survive. People were getting shanked for their lunch money.

Compare to the Catholic school I went to, we all wore jackets and ties, the brothers and priests watching over making sure we didn't engage in horseplay.

....not every kid is educatable.......

I don't believe that.
Results show you to be wrong...can't ague with the numbers...and that's why you get so bent when you are challenged....

Educating students does NOT mean that every single kid goes to Harvard. If you are so quick to give up on kids, it's a damn good thing you never tried to be a teacher.
Very true

Turning an F student into a C student is as admirable as getting an A student into Harvard
I teach at as urban a school district as you'll find anywhere. Last year we had a senior who turned down an acceptance to Harvard in favor of the Naval Academy.

Forum List

Back