Homeschooling: the ultimate results

The exception that prove the rule, "I have a nephew who was home schooled, and today, he is the union shop steward in a Peterbilt Truck assembly plant, so it is not as if he didn't learn any skills at all."

Sort of like finding that one home schooled kid that has a hard time adjusting to life outside the home?
You mean so many home schooled kids who have trouble adjusting, yes.

How many kids come out of government schools having a hard time adjusting?

home schooled kids do not do as well as public school kids

there are no stats to show that

I have a nephew who was home schooled, and today, he is the union shop steward in a Peterbilt Truck assembly plant, so it is not as if he didn't learn any skills at all.

Of course. Some home school parents are concerned and capable of giving their children a great education. The one on one teaching is much better than a large class. However, it's wrong to say all parents are educated enough to give their children a quality education, and pointing to the ones lucky enough to have parents do as the expected outcome of home schooling is just wrong. With required standards home schooling could be a great idea. Without them lots of children are missing the chance at a better, more productive life.

You don't have to have a great education yourself to give your child one. There are resources that make that possible.

Of course there are. That's where the ones with the high SATs come from. Many don't take advantage of those resources, and nothing in federal law says they have to. If there were requirements for parents to use those resources, or to determine if the child is being taught anything, then home schooling might be a viable option.
Agree
Make home schoolers meet the same standards a public school must meet. If you don't, your kid gets placed in public school

Let the kids take the SOL's. As long as they do well, leave them the heck alone.
No problem with that

There are no facts and numbers, and those who say there are simply do not know the facts or are deliberately misleading.

Those who say stupid things like parents can't give their children a better education than what they themselves have are deliberately blinding themselves to reality in order to make a lame point.
Yes, some parents can provide that environment for which you hope, but it is merely an assertion until some documentation showing they can is given.

We see home schooled kids succeeding every day. What more do you need to prove parents can successfully home school their kids?
Some can
Some suck

Home schooled students do not have the distractions of bullying, violence, pressure to use drugs, as public schooled children. That's why they do so much better.

Homeschoolers Win High-school Mock Trial Championship

HSLDA | Homeschool Wins IT Competition; Spurs National Debate
So...they will be SO prepared for those things as an adult in the work force.
I know....those homeschool kids will be forced to work with negroes

Oh get a grip.
Are you saying the racial makeup of the local school doesn’t play into the decision to homeschool?

No need to check with anyone. I have direct knowledge of children who weren't taught anything. Imagine an 8 year old child who doesn't know the difference between a nickle and a quarter because his parents didn't bother to teach him. With no monitoring whatsoever, the state had no idea what the situation was, and no reason to do anything about it.

I have a nephew who was home schooled, and today, he is the union shop steward in a Peterbilt Truck assembly plant, so it is not as if he didn't learn any skills at all.

Of course. Some home school parents are concerned and capable of giving their children a great education. The one on one teaching is much better than a large class. However, it's wrong to say all parents are educated enough to give their children a quality education, and pointing to the ones lucky enough to have parents do as the expected outcome of home schooling is just wrong. With required standards home schooling could be a great idea. Without them lots of children are missing the chance at a better, more productive life.

You don't have to have a great education yourself to give your child one. There are resources that make that possible.

Of course there are. That's where the ones with the high SATs come from. Many don't take advantage of those resources, and nothing in federal law says they have to. If there were requirements for parents to use those resources, or to determine if the child is being taught anything, then home schooling might be a viable option.

If the parents want their kids to go on to college, they have to take the SAT's just like everyone else. We don't see large numbers of home schooled children suffering because they didn't get s good education. Just the opposite.

Any idea the percentage of home schooled children who actually take those tests?

Home schooled students do not have the distractions of bullying, violence, pressure to use drugs, as public schooled children. That's why they do so much better.

Oh get a grip.
Are you saying the racial makeup of the local school doesn’t play into the decision to homeschool?

I'm saying people decide to home school for many reasons. Insisting they're racist is just plain hateful and stupid.

You're losing it buddy. Yes homeschoolers have to meet all state requirements. That doesn't look like it would be too hard to do since no one will check anyway.
That’s Texas, snowflake. There are 49 other states with drastically different guidelines. But that being said - it is still none of your business. Worry about yourself. Stop worrying about other people’s children.

Since home schooled kids are going to enter the work force, P@triot, it is the public's business.

Tough on you, it sucks for you, but there it is.

So . . . measure up or step off.

a. If P@triot is an example of home schooling, it is clearly a failure.
And yet I run circles around you on this board :laugh:
b. If a child is raised as an adult, he or she will have trouble with peers for life
Why does Guy Catchef always reject facts, science, data, and studies? The study showed they were exponentially more successful in life. And...why does Guy Catcher suddenly ignore academics and focus on relationships when the data shows that conservative solutions end in better academic results.
c. Not every home school teacher can teach
e. Grades do not equate to success in the real world
Why is it that Guy Catcher can only make it to “C” before fucking up the alphabet? :lmao:

Why does Guy Catcher suddenly ignore academics and focus on “success in the real world” when the data shows that conservative solutions end in better academic results?

The results of the studies show that homeschooled children are more successful in life. Why does Guy Catcher always ignore facts, reality, data, and science?
f. Rote learning does not develop creativity
And squirrels can’t run as fast as cheetahs. :cuckoo:
g. Being active in Church is not always a virtue.
Neither is fucking up the alphabet before making it to the letter D :lmao:

Well, I guess I can't get too excited about the issue, one way, or another. my daughter went to public school, a rather poor one, at that. But, we successfully motivated her, and now, she is the only one in her class who she knows of, who has 6 years of college and is a nurse. In fact, only one in my family in my generation, and the next, was home schooled, and he is the only one who did not go to college.

Yep, teaching bigotry and hatred of tens of millions of your follow Americans is such a wonderful things.

There's a reason 90% of kids go to public school! Parents don't have the fucking time when they have to work to make a rich man richer to just have a roof over their goddamn head.

Laughing%20at%20you-S.jpg

No need to check with anyone. I have direct knowledge of children who weren't taught anything. Imagine an 8 year old child who doesn't know the difference between a nickle and a quarter because his parents didn't bother to teach him. With no monitoring whatsoever, the state had no idea what the situation was, and no reason to do anything about it.

If the parents want their kids to go on to college, they have to take the SAT's just like everyone else. We don't see large numbers of home schooled children suffering because they didn't get s good education. Just the opposite.

How do you know?

Agree
Make home schoolers meet the same standards a public school must meet. If you don't, your kid gets placed in public school

Let the kids take the SOL's. As long as they do well, leave them the heck alone.

That would be great, except there are generally no requirements to do anything to prove the kids actually learned anything.

I think that homeschooling is great, as long as you don't want your kids to be more educated than you.

That's dumb. Have you never heard of an online school? The student works at home and remote teachers grade the work and give help when needed.

This isn't the 1950's any more.

Online schools are great for some kids, but most do not learn as well.

Ever tried taking an on-line PE class?

How about chorus?

Band?

Welding?

They do that in co-ops. Face it, modern home schoolers have good resources at their fingertips.

Yeah, right!

You should say "some", but that would defeat your argument, wouldn't it?

Oh get a grip.

I'm saying people decide to home school for many reasons. Insisting they're racist is just plain hateful and stupid.

Unfortunately, in many cases it is true. It is not plain hateful and stupid.

I will state my opinion on homeschooling that I have posted on this forum many times, as as well as others.

If the parents are qualified and want to homeschool, more power to them. My own granddaughter was homeschooled for a while because of bullying issues with other children who could not relate to a child with a speech problem. She has since returned to public school as her public school provided speech therapist did wonders for her. Getting the other children to forget her previous issues was the sticking point..

If the parents are qualified or will see that they get the instruction needed to be equivalent to a public high school education, I think they should be empowered to do so. I have seen a few highly successful homeschooled students,

Where I draw the line is where people claim that it is so easy, anyone can homeschool, and the child is guaranteed to outperform their public school peers. Those people are living in some fantasy world. My experience as a teacher, parent, school administrator and student of education tells me that these people are doing more harm than good. A few of them infest this forum on a regular basis. They know who they are.

Agree
Make assholes like Wrongwinger mind their own business and not worry about other people’s children. If you don’t, your ass loses your citizenship and you are deported to Cuba.

Forum List

Back