CDZ Homophobic People Often Have Psychological Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the first word in the article, those who do not adhere to 'all things homosexual' are afraid and/or haters of homosexuals.

Talk about making assumptions.

You said you didn't get past the first word and then YOU made assumptions that were incorrect.

Its very telling that some are very threatened by a civil conversation about this. It proves the OP is correct.

So the use of the term 'homophobe' does NOT mean that you guys believe that anyone who does not understand (for lack of a better word) the homosexual lifestyle is either afraid and/or a hater of homosexuals? Cause that's sure how you guys mean it when you use the term.

I don't understand homosexuality but it doesn't threaten me. Nor do I believe they should have fewer rights than I do.

So if someone called you a homophobe due to your lack of understanding, they'd be correct? Again, because that is what you guys do when someone does not tow the line with the homosexual mantra.

Where are you getting that homosexuality it threatening others? Because they have a differing viewpoint on it? Religious people view h/s as a sin. Where is your understanding of their differing viewpoint?

According to Christian doctrine, adultery is also a sin, but not only are Christians not having fits about other peoples' adultery, half of them are engaging in it themselves.

now you want to talk about adultery and what christians say and do?

Is the other issue resolved, then? "homophobic" is a fake word used to disparage people who disagree with a homosexual agenda.
I will concede that MANY "people often have psychological issues"...but "homophobia" isn't a valid description of any "psychological issue".

The Clean Debate Zone is to be used for the clean debating of Government Policies, Candidates, Current News and Events ONLY. No personal attacks, name calling, flaming etc is allowed in this section
Then I call "Foul"

The title of the thread starts with, not only, name calling but a misnomer of a name at that.

If you truly want an honest discussion, you don't start the conversation by insulting those that have a different opinion
Who s she insulting unless you personally identify as homophobic?

If you do not, youre not a part and parcel human to this study.
The word is the insult.
It's meant to marginalize anyone that doesn't support the homosexual lifestyle as normal.

Phobic implies an irrational fear.
There is no fear in someone identifying a mental disorder.

You're free to stick your dick wherever one wants....whether it's another man's ass or a vegomatic. But you don't get to tell me I have a "phobia" for having enough intelligence to know that it's not 'normal' behavior.

I'm not denying you any 'rights' by telling you that you have a mental disorder.
I would only hope that one day you would stop sticking your dick in strange places.
I'd still hang out with you and have some beers. Just like I hang out with bipolars and PTSDs and go fishing or drinking with them.
But, just like them, I'd hope the homosexual gets the help they need.

Does that make me a BiPolarphobe or a PTSDphobe?
Then stop
Im not gay, and lacking any indisputable rationale is why the homophobe label is cast.

Its not a mental disorder, thats an opinion and notan established fact. You choose to hold it as an opinion, and your choice to do so reflects on your willingness to empathize and understand your fellow human beings.
If being a mental disorder can only be held as opinion then the same can be said for claiming it is NOT
Ok, and choosing to consider it one as opposed to some hormonal or physiological difference is a CHOICE.

And the inspiration for making that choice is, in my opinion, ignorance, fear, or mean spiritedness/busy bodying.

So the use of the term 'homophobe' does NOT mean that you guys believe that anyone who does not understand (for lack of a better word) the homosexual lifestyle is either afraid and/or a hater of homosexuals? Cause that's sure how you guys mean it when you use the term.

I don't understand homosexuality but it doesn't threaten me. Nor do I believe they should have fewer rights than I do.

So if someone called you a homophobe due to your lack of understanding, they'd be correct? Again, because that is what you guys do when someone does not tow the line with the homosexual mantra.

Where are you getting that homosexuality it threatening others? Because they have a differing viewpoint on it? Religious people view h/s as a sin. Where is your understanding of their differing viewpoint?

According to Christian doctrine, adultery is also a sin, but not only are Christians not having fits about other peoples' adultery, half of them are engaging in it themselves.

You didn't answer my question.

Where is your tolerance from you guys of the religious who view homosexuality as a sin? Isn't that what being a liberal means?
I'm not telling people who don't agree with homosexuality they don't have equal rights or they are second class citizens. I'm not hindering their lives or lifestyles. How am I not being tolerant?

First word in your article. You're telling those who do not hold the same pov as you that they are afraid and/or haters.

Normal pll? :lol: support in the 90's was in the 20's.

Today, its in the 60's.

"Normal people" woke up after awareness was raised. Homophobes and zealots did not.
And in the 80s more people liked Crack.
Approval does not equal right
At no time ever did a majority approve of crack........wtff?
Right or wrong isn't decided in the court of popular opinion
No its decided by logic.

The Clean Debate Zone is to be used for the clean debating of Government Policies, Candidates, Current News and Events ONLY. No personal attacks, name calling, flaming etc is allowed in this section
Then I call "Foul"

The title of the thread starts with, not only, name calling but a misnomer of a name at that.

If you truly want an honest discussion, you don't start the conversation by insulting those that have a different opinion

The word is the insult.
It's meant to marginalize anyone that doesn't support the homosexual lifestyle as normal.

You're free to stick your dick wherever one wants....whether it's another man's ass or a vegomatic. But you don't get to tell me I have a "phobia" for having enough intelligence to know that it's not 'normal' behavior.

I'm not denying you any 'rights' by telling you that you have a mental disorder.
I would only hope that one day you would stop sticking your dick in strange places.
I'd still hang out with you and have some beers. Just like I hang out with bipolars and PTSDs and go fishing or drinking with them.

Then stop
Im not gay, and lacking any indisputable rationale is why the homophobe label is cast.

Its not a mental disorder, thats an opinion and notan established fact. You choose to hold it as an opinion, and your choice to do so reflects on your willingness to empathize and understand your fellow human beings.
If being a mental disorder can only be held as opinion then the same can be said for claiming it is NOT
A main point of the study is that people who are upset by homosexuality consider it a mental disorder, while the study tested people who are upset by and not upset by homosexuality on their general mental health--issues unrelated to homosexuality--and found that people who are upset by homosexuality more often have other personality issues that are considered mental health problems while people who are not upset by homosexuality have fewer mental health problems. The study found that people who are upset by homosexuality are more likely to have mental health problems --problems not related to their feelings about homosexuality.

Last edited:
Then I call "Foul"

The word is the insult.

Then stop

Ok, and choosing to consider it one as opposed to some hormonal or physiological difference is a CHOICE.

And the inspiration for making that choice is, in my opinion, ignorance, fear, or mean spiritedness/busy bodying.
And making excuses and apologizingfor people doing wrong only serves in enabling more to do the same.
That's why your quoted approval ratings have climbed.
We've pushed people to be proud of deviant behaviors rather than trying to get them help to stop.

You didn't answer my question.

Where is your tolerance from you guys of the religious who view homosexuality as a sin? Isn't that what being a liberal means?
I'm not telling people who don't agree with homosexuality they don't have equal rights or they are second class citizens. I'm not hindering their lives or lifestyles. How am I not being tolerant?

First word in your article. You're telling those who do not hold the same pov as you that they are afraid and/or haters.
Then read the article and respond to the full article (it's not long) instead of repeating your knee jerk response to the title of the article.

The word is the insult.

Then stop

And making excuses and apologizingfor people doing wrong only serves in enabling more to do the same.
We've pushed people to be proud of deviant behaviors rather than trying to get them help to stop.
Who determines what is deviant? How do you know something is deviant? Is adultery deviant? Are you up in arms about people being adulterers? Do you expect that adulterers should not have equal rights and be considered second class citizens?

The word is the insult.

Then stop

I see no logical deduction that points to homosexuality as being WRONG.

Then I call "Foul"

The word is the insult.

Then stop

A main point of the study is that people who are upset by homosexuality consider it a mental disorder, while the study tested people who are upset by and not upset by homosexuality on their general mental heahth--issues unrelated to homosexuality--and found that people who are upset by homosexuality more often have other personality issues that are considered mental health problems while people who are not upset by homosexuality have fewer mental health problems. The study found that people who are upset by homosexuality are more likely to have mental health problems --problems not related to their feelings about homosexuality.
There is a distinct difference between not agreeing with a behavior and being upset about it.
I'm not upset about it at all.

Ask my granddaughter and her girlfriend. They're sitting on my couch right now.

Now, do I constantly remind my granddaughter of what she was taught in church? Nope. Only when she asks specific questions.
And, trust me, those questions have become far morefrequent as her addiction counseling has progressed.
So, yes, I see a tangible connection in behavior

The word is the insult.

Then stop

Who determines what is deviant? How do you know something is deviant? Is adultery deviant? Are you up in arms about people being adulterers? Do you expect that adulterers should not have equal rights and be considered second class citizens?
Yes adultery is deviant behavior.
So is theft and murder.

In fact,as it pertains to adultery, when my brother in law approached or church, wanting to remarry(he was the pastor, BTW) I cast one of the Nay votes. His ex was still living.
So, yes, I stand on the Word even when it doesn't align with my family

Yes adultery is deviant behavior.
So is theft and murder.

In fact,as it pertains to adultery, when my brother in law approached or church, wanting to remarry(he was the pastor, BTW) I cast one of the Nay votes. His ex was still living.
So, yes, I stand on the Word even when it doesn't align with my family

Then why are most religious people not treating adulterers or thieves the way they treat homosexuals? Why do most attend their weddings? Why do most approve of adulterers and thieves getting married? Why do they include them in all social functions? Why do most not consider adultery or thievery as mental illness and make these people second class citizens and pariahs?

Last edited:
The title of your thread was a personal attack against normal straight people who don't like sodomites.

You are the one who violated the CDZ rules not me. ....... :cool:

The title of the thread is the same as the title of the linked article.

That is not a violation of CDZ rules.

Didn't get past the first word.

Why do people (falsely) assume that because someone isn't for ssm or doesn't understand (for lack of a better word) the homosexual lifestyle that they somehow fear and/or hate homosexuals? It is pushed that opposing viewpoints must be tolerated, we must be diverse and accepting of all especially of those who we don't see eye to eye with, and yet all I see is bashing of those who do not view homosexuality the same as you.

I'm so over all the bullshit. Not everyone views things the same. That does not make them haters or afraid, that does not make you right/them wrong or vice versa. Try practicing what your preach. Deal with it or bugger off.
According to the study, people's basic mental health was surveyed along with their attitude toward homosexuality. It has nothing to do with making assumptions.

According to the first word in the article, those who do not adhere to 'all things homosexual' are afraid and/or haters of homosexuals.

You said you didn't get past the first word and then YOU made assumptions that were incorrect.

Its very telling that some are very threatened by a civil conversation about this. It proves the OP is correct.
I think that's really an important point. Those who feel very threatened by this study, so threatened they can't engage in civil discourse....that's very telling. If you are not threatened, why has this study triggered such an angry response?

"If you are not threatened, why has this study triggered such an angry response?"

The study itself answers that question.

Homophobia and anger

Overall, the better the mental health of the person (based on the responses to the questionnaire), the less likely he or she was to be homophobic, the researchers found. People with "fearful-avoidant" attachment styles, who tend to feel uncomfortable in close relationships with others, were significantly more homophobic than those who were secure with close relationships. The researchers also found that people with higher levels of immature defense mechanisms were more homophobic than those with mature defense mechanisms.

High levels of hostility and anger, measured as psychoticism, were also linked to homophobia, the researchers found.​

The issue is that you don't believe you fear something that is not danger to you. The study shows that people who are uncomfortable with the idea of homosexuality do fear it and have personality disorders.
I will admit that I do fear homosexuals.

I don't want a homo waiter serving or touching my food at a restaurant. Many of them are disease ridden and infected with STD's and AIDS.

I don't want a homo watching my kids at the daycare. Homos are known to have a propensity to be pedophiles. Well above the national average.

Every person convicted in the last several decades in the US for cannibalism has been a homosexual. ..... :eek-52:

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

There is no credible proof that homosexuals have a propensity for pedophilia.

now you want to talk about adultery and what christians say and do?

Is the other issue resolved, then? "homophobic" is a fake word used to disparage people who disagree with a homosexual agenda.
I will concede that MANY "people often have psychological issues"...but "homophobia" isn't a valid description of any "psychological issue".

The OP article includes citations that override your opinion.

Earlier research has found homophobia to be a complex subject, with some studies suggesting that people with visceral negative reactions to gays and lesbians often harbor same-sex desires themselves. Other studies, though, contest that idea, and suggest that homophobic people are truly averse to same-sex attraction. Other factors — such as religiosity, sensitivity to disgust, hypermasculinity and misogyny — seem to play a role in anti-gay beliefs, Jannini and his colleagues wrote in an article published Sept. 8 in The Journal of Sexual Medicine.​

Didn't get past the first word.

Why do people (falsely) assume that because someone isn't for ssm or doesn't understand (for lack of a better word) the homosexual lifestyle that they somehow fear and/or hate homosexuals? It is pushed that opposing viewpoints must be tolerated, we must be diverse and accepting of all especially of those who we don't see eye to eye with, and yet all I see is bashing of those who do not view homosexuality the same as you.

I'm so over all the bullshit. Not everyone views things the same. That does not make them haters or afraid, that does not make you right/them wrong or vice versa. Try practicing what your preach. Deal with it or bugger off.
According to the study, people's basic mental health was surveyed along with their attitude toward homosexuality. It has nothing to do with making assumptions.

I think that's really an important point. Those who feel very threatened by this study, so threatened they can't engage in civil discourse....that's very telling. If you are not threatened, why has this study triggered such an angry response?

"If you are not threatened, why has this study triggered such an angry response?"

Homophobia and anger

Overall, the better the mental health of the person (based on the responses to the questionnaire), the less likely he or she was to be homophobic, the researchers found. People with "fearful-avoidant" attachment styles, who tend to feel uncomfortable in close relationships with others, were significantly more homophobic than those who were secure with close relationships. The researchers also found that people with higher levels of immature defense mechanisms were more homophobic than those with mature defense mechanisms.

High levels of hostility and anger, measured as psychoticism, were also linked to homophobia, the researchers found.​

Except no one is responding with anger. If you guys are reading responses as 'angry' well, that's on you.
<shrug>

Read what I wrote ... you claim we are giving an 'angry response'. Where?

We did read what you wrote.

Your use of spurious vulgarities exposed your anger.

Not to mention being a CDZ rule violation.

Again, no one is responding angrily. That you read it as angry is on you.

USMB allows cursing (spurious vulgarities? lol give me a break), even in the CDZ. Don't be so sensitive.

"No Name Calling Or Putting Down Posters
No Trolling and/or Troll Threads
No Hijacking
No Personal Attacks
No Neg Repping
"

Please post where I broke any of the CDZ rules.

Last edited:

Homophobia and anger

Except no one is responding with anger. If you guys are reading responses as 'angry' well, that's on you.
<shrug>

Read what I wrote ... you claim we are giving an 'angry response'. Where?

We did read what you wrote.

Your use of spurious vulgarities exposed your anger.

Not to mention being a CDZ rule violation.

Again, no one is responding angrily. That you read it as angry is on you.

USMB allows cursing (spurious vulgarities? lol give me a break), even in the CDZ. Don't be so sensitive.

"No Name Calling Or Putting Down Posters
No Trolling and/or Troll Threads
No Hijacking
No Personal Attacks
No Neg Repping
"

Please post where I broke any of the CDZ rules.

When you use the term "BS" to describe what someone else is posting you are effectively putting down the other poster.

Furthermore "BS" violates the CDZ terms of "civil discourse".

The Focus of the CDZ is Civil Discourse, regardless of the topic matter.

If you cannot communicate in a civil manner then you will be reported.

And yes, using spurious vulgarities is what angry people do. It was patently obvious that you were angry about the OP and the title.

What is ironic is that the OP article explained why homophobes like you are angry.

Had you actually read the article you would have known that.

Obviously you didn't and you even admitted as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back